Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-26-2001, 07:30 PM   #1
stilgar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a 667 mhz but only 64mb of ram...
what's the best set up for my config so it's not sooo slow.

thanks
Old 11-26-2001, 07:39 PM   #2
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The whole game sped up tremendously for me when I unchecked the 3D acceleration box in the CONFIGURATION section.

Ranger
Old 11-26-2001, 07:51 PM   #3
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

welcome aboard.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:09 PM   #4
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

try clicking off any virus prot software you have and ctrl+alt+del and close any unnecessary programs. get more ram, it's dirt cheap
Old 11-26-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

assuming the rest of your kit is up to scratch:

the cpu is fine. 667 is more than ample for this

ram is not fine. but is cheap to fix. just do not let one of those cretins at PC world into your machine. 40 quid an hour to add some memory and dust the damn thing. fine that works out at 50p in total, right? no, they also charge for teabreaks.

*sigh*

to get decent performance on anything less the gods personal computer, you need to de-activate the 3d card. go into bg config and untick it. this is because infinity only uses the card for spell effects and such like, it does make a surprising difference to the graphic quality, but kills your performance. as in i killed the hardest dragon in the game first time after i turned off the 3d card and could click on things proper.

you might want to turn off screen shakes, there not very well done and on some machines jump about 3 inches, and last about a minute.

pathfinding depends solely on you cpu - so turn on enhanced pathfinding. i think it makes a difference, but its still terrible. you probably need more ram to turn the nodes setting up much.

sound is up to you. if your using headphones turn the voices up cos most headphones tend to do voices poorly.

ignore the automated settings. its supposed to turn off features when the framerate drops but it never actualy keeps the framerate stable.

experiment with the different options, you will not be able to break anything permanently in here. if your over-worried about this backup baldur.ini.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:12 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

ack, what am i thinking.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

ill figure out how to do the spectacular stuff someday, i promise.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:22 AM   #7
Whailor

First of all, if the 3d card checkbox gives you performance issues then you have something pretty badly configured with your 3d card. I have it checked, use it and it's running perfectly.

The issue mainly in this case is the 64Mb RAM. It's too small amount period. You forgot to mention what Windows you are running, also whether you have any additional program running in the background. There may be more things attched, but first check/upgrade these 2 (more RAM, less programs on the background).
Old 11-27-2001, 05:59 AM   #8
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

I believe there is an issue with Radeon video cards with 64mb ram, so it could be affected by the 3d checkbox. Get the latest drivers for your card and try that.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:49 AM   #9
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Welcome to IW stilgar!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am running it on a 233mhz with 64mb of ram so I'll tell you what I done.
I opened the BGConfig.exe and set the screen resolution to 640x480. Disabled the screen shake and footstep sounds all together.
Then I put my frame rate to 15 (it can't go any lower) and it's been next to perfect ever since.
If you have a 3D card it's wise to disable to the 3D hardware for the game as other people here mentioned.

Also be sure to press ctrl+alt+del before you start playing and close ALL applications apart from Explorer and Systray.

A bigger cache helps too but I don't think it's really necessary. Just for your information though I have mine set at 500mb and I also have a FULL instal of the game. Believe me that makes a difference too.

Hope this has helped [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 10:00 AM   #10
The Drunken Monkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a fairly slow/old CPU P111 450mhz but with 512mb ram, Ge force 1 graphics card and a huge 60GB hard drive the only time my game slows down is when more than one spell effect is in play. I recommend getting more ram than 64. I know 512mb is a bit of an overkill but it cost just £4 more than 256mb!!!!!

By the way i got my ram from CCL computers nr leeds for approx £35 for 512mb. You can have it mailed to your door for £40.

You can alter the settings for the game, or.. you can just stuff more mem into the box and shake your fist at it!!!