Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-04-2001, 08:21 PM   #51
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
The neighbor shot it in his own yard, not in mine, because it was eating his cat food which he left outside for his cat, or so he claimed.

A stupid reason, to say the least. They are a retired couple who moved down from Michigan to warmer climes. We had always got along great until that incident.

The underlying mentality behind it ticks me off. We see a lot of it as people move from the cities into the country, and then act surprised when their new neighbors turn out to be wildlife. Wtf are the animals supposed to do? If people don't want to be "bothered" by wildlife, they should stay the hell in the city. Grrrrrr . . . .

Yeah, what a mentality, eh? They even complain about the ruddy BIRDS singing too early in the morning! And about the smell of manure wafting over from the farms.....(well, THAT isn't nice!) ... but why go live in the country, then?
Actually, in the UK there is often more wildlife in the suberbs than in the country - farming kills things big-time.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:07 PM   #52
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
You are a silly git, Nachtrafe. Why would we flame you???

But next time you go to bed, think of this:

The non-poisonous spiders are waiting until you fall asleep and then they come out on the ceiling and repel down to just an inch above your sleeping face and have a 'swinging' good time!!!!

LOL...Hey, what can I say...I'm a safety guy.

You know...I had an experience something like that actually. Back in high school, I was spending the night at a buddy's house. He lived in a finished attic. In the peak of the roof was a big spiderweb. I'm rather arachnophobic(was bitten by multiple black widows when I was 5. Never really recovered psychologically :weaksmile: ) Anyway, I asked about it, but he assured me that the spider living there was non poisonous. So I resolved to ignore it. Skip ahead to the middle of the night. I was asleep on the floor, lying on my back. I wake up for some reason, and I see, about 6 inches above my face, a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wolf spider swinging down directly at me! Needless to say, I screamed my head off and swatted the thing off to the side. Jumped out of bed, still freaked, and almost killed myself trying to turn on the light, and grab a bat or a hockey stick at the same time. He jumps out of bed, sees what I'm doing and starts laughing hysterically. I finally managed to get the light on, and started looking for the spider. Finally cornered it, but he wouldn't let me kill it. I got dressed and went home. Just for the record...the spider was over 4 inches across from leg tip to leg tip. I know cuz it was sitting on a 3x5 notecard when John picked it up to return it to its web.

Man...just sitting here and thinking about it is giving me the willies.. *shudders*.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 10-05-2001, 07:03 AM   #53
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:

LOL...Hey, what can I say...I'm a safety guy.

You know...I had an experience something like that actually. Back in high school, I was spending the night at a buddy's house. He lived in a finished attic. In the peak of the roof was a big spiderweb. I'm rather arachnophobic(was bitten by multiple black widows when I was 5. Never really recovered psychologically :weaksmile: ) Anyway, I asked about it, but he assured me that the spider living there was non poisonous. So I resolved to ignore it. Skip ahead to the middle of the night. I was asleep on the floor, lying on my back. I wake up for some reason, and I see, about 6 inches above my face, a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wolf spider swinging down directly at me! Needless to say, I screamed my head off and swatted the thing off to the side. Jumped out of bed, still freaked, and almost killed myself trying to turn on the light, and grab a bat or a hockey stick at the same time. He jumps out of bed, sees what I'm doing and starts laughing hysterically. I finally managed to get the light on, and started looking for the spider. Finally cornered it, but he wouldn't let me kill it. I got dressed and went home. Just for the record...the spider was over 4 inches across from leg tip to leg tip. I know cuz it was sitting on a 3x5 notecard when John picked it up to return it to its web.

Man...just sitting here and thinking about it is giving me the willies.. *shudders*.
LOL!! Sorry about that, Nachtrafe. I didn't know. Maybe I shouldn't have joked about it then. :S But I had something similar happen to me too, only the dirty bugger ran across my bare flesh under my SHEET when I was about 6! OOOhhh! Still gives me the creeps. I've just learned to tolerate spiders well (as long as they are at least 5 feet away and NOT coming my direction). Although, sometimes I get the urge to go look at one up close. Like the little 'jumping' spiders. They are actually neat little guys (for a spider). Also sorry to hear of your run-in with the black widows. Widows are the ONLY spiders that truly creep me out. I've had to get rid of a few blacks and even a red widow or two from my house. *shudder*

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-05-2001, 03:27 PM   #54
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
LOL!! Sorry about that, Nachtrafe. I didn't know. Maybe I shouldn't have joked about it then. :S But I had something similar happen to me too, only the dirty bugger ran across my bare flesh under my SHEET when I was about 6! even a red widow or two from my house. *shudder*

Hey DragonMage, interesting the words we use about things that we don't like, or frighten us.

I'm willing to bet your insect there was no 'dirtier' than the average puppy, probably less!

Wouldn't you agree that sometimes the words we use are more a reflection of our own emotional state than a true description of object or event we are reacting to?

This seems to be particularly true in regard to insects, which many people have a totally irrational fear of. (I'm not talking about insects which can do you serious damage or kill you here, - obviously the instantaneous fear reaction could save your life ....... It would make sense to have such a reaction when confronted with an unknown insect perhaps, that COULD be dangerous. But there are many insects that we are well aware are not harmful, and yet we shrink from them in terror anyway.)

This insect thing MUST be a projection. We are projecting the fear of something else onto the insect. But what is it? Anybody got any ideas?

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-05-2001, 04:49 PM   #55
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Hey DragonMage, interesting the words we use about things that we don't like, or frighten us.

I'm willing to bet your insect there was no 'dirtier' than the average puppy, probably less!

Wouldn't you agree that sometimes the words we use are more a reflection of our own emotional state than a true description of object or event we are reacting to?

This seems to be particularly true in regard to insects, which many people have a totally irrational fear of. (I'm not talking about insects which can do you serious damage or kill you here, - obviously the instantaneous fear reaction could save your life ....... It would make sense to have such a reaction when confronted with an unknown insect perhaps, that COULD be dangerous. But there are many insects that we are well aware are not harmful, and yet we shrink from them in terror anyway.)

This insect thing MUST be a projection. We are projecting the fear of something else onto the insect. But what is it? Anybody got any ideas?
From my point about my experience, I meant no insult to the spider, personally. The 'dirty bugger' does indeed come from the long held rememberance of that particular incident.

I totally agree that we put off on 'innocents' our own fears and emotions. Today, I harbor no ill will toward the spider that crawled across me and woke me from my sleep. But at six, I was hysterical. Maybe 'sneaky critter' would have been a better description?

As an adult, I know the spider isn't my 'enemy' or 'out to get me'. My FEAR of insects is my fear of 'unknown' things creeping on me. I have nearly jumped out of my skin because a stray string was tickling my ear and I thought it was a bug. All insects/arachnids are small. We usually don't notice them or see them. I feel I've been snuck up upon when I look to my left and see a spider only because, at the first instant upon seeing it, I don't know if it's poisonous or agressive.

I don't rush to kill bugs unless it's poisonous AND in my house (I have a cat who likes to chase down bugs and I don't want him to get sick or die because a poisonous spider bit him.) Other bugs, I usually leave alone or shoo out the door - or like you with your slugs - feed them and study them.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 05:11 PM   #56
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

As an adult, I know the spider isn't my 'enemy' or 'out to get me'. My FEAR of insects is my fear of 'unknown' things creeping on me. I have nearly jumped out of my skin because a stray string was tickling my ear and I thought it was a bug. All insects/arachnids are small. We usually don't notice them or see them. I feel I've been snuck up upon when I look to my left and see a spider only because, at the first instant upon seeing it, I don't know if it's poisonous or agressive.

Makes sense!! We hardly have any poisonous insects in Britain (bliss) I forget that you do in the States. So an alert stance is probably the safest in the end!!

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-05-2001, 06:50 PM   #57
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I think fear of snakes/insects is an instinctive, protective reaction; a hangover from when very many of them WERE harmful to us. And of course, in some places they still are.

But a natural fear is not the same as a phobia, which is an exaggeration of that instinctive fear, and is usually triggered by a childhood event.
Other people seem to have 'mislaid' the instinctive fear reaction, and others have learned to control phobic reactions. I'd get my spider phobia back pdq if I went to a country where they were poisonous!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.