Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

So I was looking around in the Windows Task Manager (Not sure if that's the name, thing that comes up when you push ctrl-alt-del), and in the processes section, there was a crapload that I don't think I've ever seen before. I was kinda wondering what they are, and if they're realated to my BGII problem, so here's a list of everything that's in the list, and with the owner/network/system things. There's 27 processes in total, if that means anything

code:
all .exe
KBD.EXE owner
explorer owner
alg LOCAL SERVICE
MsPMSPSv SYSTEM
wdfnger LOCAL SERVICE
taskmgr owner
svchost SYSTEM
iPodService SYSTEM
Navapsic SYSTEM
CTSVCCDA SYSTEM
spoolsv SYSTEM
svchost LOCAL SERVICE
svchost NETWORK
svchost SYSTEM
svchost NETWORK
svchost SYSTEM
lsass SYSTEM
services SYSTEM
winlogon SYSTEM
qttask owner
crss SYSTEM
smss SYSTEM
point32 owner
Navapw32 owner
tfswctrl owner
System SYSTEM
System Idle SYSTEM
[/QUOTE]Does anyone with computor know-how see anything odd at all?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

First off, I think the all.exe is a virus. Might just not be, but I know of an "all.exe" virus that sends itself to people, attaches itself to the text files and does something... can't remember what.
If you are using a Logitech keyboard, there's nothing to worry about KBD, it's the multimedia functionality.
ALG is the application layer gateway service or system or server, can't remember which. It's ok.
MsPMSPSv has something to do with music and the internet, either working something like the Gracenote or an auto-patcher or whatever. Used by Windows Media Player.
I have no idea what is the wdfnger, or what it does. You might want to try shutting down this one and see what happens.
You probably know about taskmgr, since this is a shot of it's window [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Svchost is the protocol tasked with executing some exes and most dlls. Normally there's about 2-4 running. You have a bit too many. Svchost is used by some viruses because of a security flaw in the Windows platform LSASS hole, and the programs that use this tent to name themselves svchost. This worries me, as you have a few running. Has your PC ever shut down for no reason?
CTSVCCDA has no reason to be running right now, since you're using NT/XP. It's an audio CD helper thing.
Spoolsv is the printer system standing by. But, since printer ports are the least protected it is sometimes used for backdoors and the like.
Lsass is a security check thing that windows uses. Should be running on windows platforms, no biggy.
Services is among the most important running processes. Unless there are 3 or mroe, you should be fine.
Winlogon is just a stand-by process that logs in and logs out users.
Qttask enables streaming of .movs over internet, and faster loading of Quicktime.
And this is where the fun starts. Crss is a virus, probably e-mail recieved as it spreads itself that way. It can also send itself in an e-mail it itself created.
Smss is another windows proggy, this one ... does something... can't remember.
Point32 is used by Microsoft mice, to add new functionality.
Both the processes starting with Nava are Norton watch tools.
Tfswctrl is used by windows media to burn CDs. Why aren't you using Nero? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
System is, well, system. Unless it has some weird extension, or some other user or whatever. Then it's a virus [img]tongue.gif[/img]
System Idle Process tells you how much % of the CPU time is unused.

Hope this helped ya.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Oh phew! It's better than I thought! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mixed you up. The all exe I put was just so I wouldn't have to type .exe after every single one. Isn't actually in there. I'm using an HP keyboard, not sure if that's Logitech or not. If I shut down wdfngr, would it start again if my computor crashes? Just don't want to break it, you see. I had that virus that shut down your computor automatically after like 5 minutes before, but I got rid of it, and it hasn't happened since. I was really wondering about the svchost one because there's like 2 for system and network, if that means anything. ANd one had some 19 000 kb beside if those numbers mean anything. Could I just close the CTVblahblah thing if I don't even need it? Crss is a virus, eh? Wonder why norton didn't find it... Why am I not using Nero? Too lazy to get it, already have this little RecordNow program on my comutor that works fine. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If you want to make sure you're clean, head to Trendmicro and run their on-line housecall. Anything nasty should be picked up and identified.

To be sure about what's running, get HiJack This and look through what's in there. It will show you not just the individual item, but also where it's called from. Then you get to do some Googling for those things you don't recognize...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Ok, thanks Bungleau! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No worries [img]smile.gif[/img] Have fun!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For future reference:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Go to this website and type in the unknown item in the search. This is a most wonderful website that is constantly upgrading with newer apps.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote