Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #21
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

For those who are interested, this is an interesting site about antimater:

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_quest...A8809EC588EEDF

This one too

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast29may_1m.htm
Old 09-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #22
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I think he was playing with me. If he was, I'll so twist his neck when I see him!
Old 09-20-2003, 12:19 AM   #23
Thoran
Galvatron

Sound can exist in space, because it's not a perfect vacuum... the article you're referring to discusses the existance of super low frequency sound waves that are travelling through the super low density gas that surrounds a super massive black hole I think (lots of super stuff out there when you're discussing space [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 09-20-2003, 12:36 AM   #24
Grendal
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
The anti-matter thing is correct, and scientists have done more than just crated anti-protons and anti-hydrogens. There is talk of a possobility of a superbomb, not fusion based, related to the anti-matter topic. Testers at JPL are currently trying to create an anti-neutron. How this should work, I don't understand, but all I can do is sit and wait for the outcome.
As for the positron and electron collision: besides the destruction of both sub-particles, the collision would produce an awesome amount of energy. Cool, ha?
Trust "the scientists" to spend millions of dollars to study stuff like this only to use it for a new, more devastaing bomb.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:37 AM   #25
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Sometime last week, I posted a thread here about a black hole making a B flat sound that is 57 octives lower than the mid C on a Piano. It is too low for humans to hear.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:41 AM   #26
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Sometime last week, I posted a thread here about a black hole making a B flat sound that is 57 octives lower than the mid C on a Piano. It is too low for humans to hear.
so thats where i read it from...

truly fascinating stuff in those links of yours BoB...thanks for the links

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #27
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

No problem.
P.S.
I talked to the guy who told me of the negative gravity atom. He's full of feces. I'll kill him. Any ideas how to do it?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:20 AM   #28
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The truly fascinating concept in the articles linked by Bozos of Bones is that of "reversing the time" to get mirror images. A positron is an electron travelling backwards through time. At the quantum level, it is possible to witness the spontaneous creation of an electron and a positron out of thin air, only to have the two meet again and cancel out each other; in fact, though, this would be an electron stuck in a time loop. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]

What we know as "sound" is just a compression wave moving through matter. As Thoran stated, space is not a perfect vacuum, thus "sound" waves are possible.

The topic currently bouncing around in my head is whether it is possible to change the "curvature" of local space-time to induce an acceleration field (gravity). I know that matter has a "gravity well" that "attracts" other matter, but since matter and energy are the same this effect should be possible by concentrating energy. Basically, inducing an acceleration field is non-Newtonian motion, an action without an equal and opposite reaction. I wish I could say the idea was an original of mine, but I saw a show two weeks ago where this scientist was interviewed (he claimed to work at S4, the most secret area at Groom Lake) and darned if he wasn't talking about a gravitic drive. *sigh* I did find an excellent book on quantum mechanics at Half Price Books which includes a chapter on curvature, so I'll have to get it.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #29
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I don't know about you, but I think that "let's go back in time" is just for example. No mentioning the current impossibility to travel through time, what tells us that the time flux will be exactly the same? There are off course other points, but let's continue to answer the last thread.
Gravitic drive is a high energy manipulator device. To explain how it would work, think off gravity sling shot effects. The gravitic drive would lock on to a planets gravity, focus it and use it to propell the ship through space. NASA is currently researching the next generation(first was sling-shot launchings to further a craft's range and modify it's course), a kind of ultra-light sail which would be powered by solar beams. The volume of the sail would theoretically be used as a gravity ancor for the craft. Gravity will work maximised on the ship only under a certain angle. If a ship is very close to planet A, and a bit farther is planet B, assuming both planets have same pull force, by merely shifting the angle of the sail the craft would be drawn to planet B by more force.
The generation after that has something to do with quantuum phisics, and I'm currently studying it. More when finished.