Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2001, 03:40 PM   #1
Byronas

Vote the best RPG you ever played.
I vote BG2.
Your turn now!!

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-19-2001, 03:49 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, I vote either Betrayal at Krondor or Planescape: Torment

Betrayal at Krondor:

Betrayal at Krondor had THE best combat system I've seen so far, especially because of one thing which I liked, as your characters got wounded they got weaker and all their skills worsened, this made the game more interesting since, also, it had a WONDERFUL story, tons of spells, good dialogue and other cool stuff, compared to the stuff today it had loust graphics, but compared to back then, it was state of the art, those are BaK's pros, the cons are: None, considering that it is a pretty old game, but the only things that it would need to have updated to still sell pretty well today are: Better graphics and multiple choices at some points.

Planescape: Torment:

Planescape: Torment has unusual NPCs, good graphics THE best storyline I've seen so far in an RPG game, LOTS of choices, many places where combat could be avoided by convincing your foes, it made the Charisma and Intelligence stats more important, unusual spells, many sub-quests, a new and interesting setting instead of the "usual" ones, such as the Forgotten Realms, WONDERFUL dialogue, that's it for the pros, please tell me if I missed any, now for the cons: Needs more NPCs, needs the chance to choose your class from the beginning, needs multiplayer, I can't remember any more cons for Planescape: Torment, now for what they COULD have added, but the lack of which don't count as cons: they COULD have added a quest editor to allow you to make your own quest with your own NPCs, monsters and items, because the Planescape setting is so immensely HUGE and connects to all planes and campaign settings that it could be used for FAR more than just one game.

------------------
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.
Sorcerer of Lady Lioness's Court.

Resident IW saint.
2nd place in the longest sig of IW contest 2001.
The sorcerer/assasin who says: Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Ptang-Zoom-Boing.
Guardian of a Secret that noone else knows of.

A not quite as hopeless romantic as Dragonmage.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-19-2001, 03:56 PM   #3
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Well, I vote either Betrayal at Krondor or Planescape: Torment

Betrayal at Krondor:

Betrayal at Krondor had THE best combat system I've seen so far, especially because of one thing which I liked, as your characters got wounded they got weaker and all their skills worsened, this made the game more interesting since, also, it had a WONDERFUL story, tons of spells, good dialogue and other cool stuff, compared to the stuff today it had loust graphics, but compared to back then, it was state of the art, those are BaK's pros, the cons are: None, considering that it is a pretty old game, but the only things that it would need to have updated to still sell pretty well today are: Better graphics and multiple choices at some points.
Did you ever play Return to Krondor? Not too bad.

Old 10-19-2001, 03:59 PM   #4
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
Did you ever play Return to Krondor? Not too bad.

Return to Krondor was good, but Betrayal at Krondor was better, RtK lacked the combat thing where your characters and foes got weaker as they got wounded, also, it was FAR faster to complete than BaK, have you ever read the books by Raymond E. Feist?
Old 10-19-2001, 04:53 PM   #5
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Arcanum/BG2, I may be biased because I have totally exausted BG2 as a game (compleated it 9 times now *hangs head in beardy RPGer shame*...
Old 10-19-2001, 05:12 PM   #6
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Truethfully it would have had to been Diablo, yes the origenal, I was stuck on the game for months. Pros no two levels ever the same deciant graphics lots of action, little thinking (i was into not thinking back then but now thats changed) Cons not enough spells or combinations posible, no choiches, not enough charecter classes.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 10-19-2001, 06:25 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
Truethfully it would have had to been Diablo, yes the origenal, I was stuck on the game for months. Pros no two levels ever the same deciant graphics lots of action, little thinking (i was into not thinking back then but now thats changed) Cons not enough spells or combinations posible, no choiches, not enough charecter classes.

Yummy yes!!! Laz runs, cowquest, bardtest etc. etc. etc. Hellfire add on, Khan & Varaya mods....gibber.........drool.....

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 07:23 PM   #8
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Return to Krondor was good, but Betrayal at Krondor was better, RtK lacked the combat thing where your characters and foes got weaker as they got wounded, also, it was FAR faster to complete than BaK, have you ever read the books by Raymond E. Feist?
I'm reading them right now, good books

------------------

Lady Menqel, Protector of IW's, smiter of evil

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
- Priest of Helm
- Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
- Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
- Magical advisor of MiLady Lioness
- Thanks to Sazerac for the great sig picture
Old 10-19-2001, 07:26 PM   #9
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirac Honorguard:
I'm reading them right now, good books

Have you read any of his other books? The only books by Feist that I've ever read besides Krondor: The Assasins, Krondor: The Betrayal and Krondor: The Tear of the Gods are: Magician: Master and Apprentice and Legends of the Riftwar: Honoured Enemy(This one is VERY good.)

Old 10-19-2001, 07:40 PM   #10
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
I liked them both the same. It was quite a few years between playing them
so I'm a little partial to Return to Krondor. I've read a couple of his books
a long time ago. I don't really remember that much about his books.