Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-07-2001, 11:44 AM   #11
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Good points Memnoch. I suppose it's better to preserve all the good posts than to lose the whole thing because of a couple of problems.
Thanks for the input, mate.
A good decision my Snohomish friend.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-07-2001, 12:02 PM   #12
MagiK

Absynthe, its laudable that you are trying to widen your perspective, Ihope you continue to do so all your life. Just some unasked for advice from a person with unpopular views if I might though...and please feel free to delete this post if its really unwanted advice. I won't be hurt or offended. One of the best things that ever happened to me was actually traveling abroad, take any chance you get to do so. I joined the Navy to get the travel and school I wanted. While we do have a fairly diverse group here at the IW forums, I still think in some ways it is a very narrow cross section of what is really out there...we all are here because we are more alike than different in a lot of ways..we enjoy computers, computer games and that in and of itself sort of narrows the field of views.....any way thats my advice for what it is worth.

I also apologize for getting involved and causing the other thread to shift away from what you wanted from it. America Bashing is pretty rampant on other boards and I guess I just didn't understand.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-07-2001, 12:08 PM   #13
Absynthe

Cloudy, you are such a sweetheart, you just turned my whole day around! Thank you for your thoughtfulness. As usual, you know just what to say to put things right. Do I recall correctly that you mentioned meeting someone recently in a romantic context? If so, I envy that person as being someone very lucky.

Donut, thanks for your support. Oh yeah, your question of "Am I a retard?" had me in stitches... thanks for the levity.

Old 09-07-2001, 12:19 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Cloudy, you are such a sweetheart, you just turned my whole day around! Thank you for your thoughtfulness. As usual, you know just what to say to put things right. Do I recall correctly that you mentioned meeting someone recently in a romantic context? If so, I envy that person as being someone very lucky.

Donut, thanks for your support. Oh yeah, your question of "Am I a retard?" had me in stitches... thanks for the levity.
*gales of happy and quite silly laughter* The 'retard' thing had me laughing too, morning pastry or my choice! LOL

Absynthe, I'm really happy if I did make you smile! I love to see you post and I didn't care for the idea that a few lousy posts by people with no 'couth' would depress you!

And as for the romance... yup! You are a dear to even notice, but thanks for the compliment. He joined here, but hasn't posted much yet. He did catch up on some threads today and said he'd post on yours later. He'll be all for the serious discussions forum if we get one. Oh and fyi, we (he and I) don't see eye to eye on everything,either! All a part of getting along, though, to understand that and move on.

I sure do hope you ARE in a better mood. You didn't create chaos, it just flowed out on it's own! teehee!

Cloudypie

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-07-2001, 12:21 PM   #15
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

For whatever it is worth (and I am NOT trying to tell Ziroc how to run his forum), I don't like the idea that a non-moderator can delete an entire thread.

Threads can take a life of their own, and can wander off on tangents unforeseen or unintended by the person who made the first post. I don't see anything wrong with that -- it is perfectly natural for a conversation to develop in such ways.

For the person who made the first post in a thread to then turn around and delete the entire thread (which may have reached several pages in length) is grossly unfair to everybody else who participated in the thread, especially if they put significant thought and time into it.

Absynthe, I am glad you chose not to do so, and I thank the MODs for their thoughtful comments on the subject.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:22 PM   #16
MagiK

Cloudbringer, wouldn't life be boring if everyone thought the same A little diversity is good for the soul...

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-07-2001, 12:27 PM   #17
Absynthe

Yes, Cloudy, I am in a much better frame of mind, thanks to your tender ministrations. It's a funny thing how one gets sort of attached to a thread if it takes off. I was rather surprised this morning when I signed on and found that the thread had garnered so much attention. I was then rudely surprised by WHAT had been posted. I guess I hadn't realized how much this place means to me until I saw (what I considered to be) a problem come from something I had started. I actually felt kind of guilty, although I know that's ridiculous.
In any event, I think you and Memnoch and Sazerac are right, let it stand as an example of how NOT to participate.
Thanks for being you, Cloudykins.

Old 09-07-2001, 12:30 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
For whatever it is worth (and I am NOT trying to tell Ziroc how to run his forum), I don't like the idea that a non-moderator can delete an entire thread.

Threads can take a life of their own, and can wander off on tangents unforeseen or unintended by the person who made the first post. I don't see anything wrong with that -- it is perfectly natural for a conversation to develop in such ways.

For the person who made the first post in a thread to then turn around and delete the entire thread (which may have reached several pages in length) is grossly unfair to everybody else who participated in the thread, especially if they put significant thought and time into it.

Absynthe, I am glad you chose not to do so, and I thank the MODs for their thoughtful comments on the subject.
Dio, I do agree about the deletion (have been royally flamed for that opinion in past) but the ability to do so is built into the software, I believe.

And Z (and most of us to one extent or another) do feel that the originator of a thread can do so if he/she chooses. BUT, here's the thing- it is assumed that the originator will NOT do random deletions or act out of malice, anger etc. It is assumed that we will all think twice or more before deleting a thread we created, especially if it gets long and full of posts from various members. I for one, respect that if people take the time to post, their words mean something. Not that I always agree with them, mind you!
And there ARE times when a thread needs deleting, rare, but they do happen.
That would be if entire thread was mostly a flame fest or trolls got in. And then, sometimes only a handful of obnoxious posts need to go, not the thread in entirety.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-07-2001, 12:32 PM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Dio, I couldn't agree more. It has happened at IW before (people deleting their threads that had a load of good information in them) and much valuable info was lost...it also made for some hurt feelings as well, which, thankfully, were settled.

I think it's okay that a user can delete a thread, such as a "sig check" thread or a thread that they messed up from the beginning. Unfortunately, there's no way to distinguish those from serious threads. That's why we urge all users to think strongly before deleting out threads that, even though they may think they've gone bad, there's still a load of good information in them.

Put it to you this way, guys, if Ziroc, Memnoch, Ertai, Wyvern, Cocoa_Spud, or I haven't deleted or locked down the thread...it must have some merit to it, right? We're not slacking.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 12:34 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

This is a limitation of UBB v.5 I believe. I guess it puts a bit more responsibility with the person posting the original thread. We have to trust them to do the right thing.

------------------