Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #11
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have only felt one before. It was in Eureka, CA (northern).We we're sitting in the living room of a friends house and all the sudden it just kinda waved from on side to the other. Thats best I can explain anyway. It was only the one movement, but freaked me out a little! Everyone in the room had felt the big one a few years back, and many small ones like this one many times, but they knew it was my first. So they all looked at me and my state of awe and said yep, that was an earthquake. Wierd stuff I tell ya.
Glad your ok LadyZ. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 07:18 PM   #12
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

We had one over here about two years ago, I think I posted about it at the time

I was at work and my cup started moving across the desk, very weird, like yourself, very rare over here
Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 PM   #13
WillowIX
Apophis

Hmm I think we had one a couple of years back, 97 or 98 I think it was. NOthing major and I certainly didn't notice anything.

I'm glad you're safe LadyZ. With that alarming subject I wasn't sure.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:31 PM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

On the National day of Iceland 17th June one of the biggest earthquake to hit Iceland struck at around 4 pm, it was about 7.5 on richter, all the south part of the country felt it and most of the west.
It was very lucky that it truck at this hour and a strange coincidence because most people were outside in open areas celebrating, some houses near the origin were almost completely demolished and thank god no one was at home.
I was in Reykjavik working in a convenience store at the time me, the assistant manager and another worker were in the storage area talking when all of a sudden everything started shaking, I didn't realise what the hell was going on, thought a truck had hit the building or something. When we checked there was no damage in the store, or at all in the "city", only one box of kitty food fell from the shelves... [img]smile.gif[/img] My family lives close to the area were it hit, but they were okey, some glasses and dishes had broken and my grandparents greenhouse was pretty badly damaged, but most importantly no one was hurt
2 days later another quake happened, this time "only" 5 but this time it happened at night, again no one was hurt, Icelandic houses are built to tollerate at least 7..
But it was a very scary experience [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 09:31 PM   #15
PoleCat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As a long time California resident I have lived though a number of earthquakes. Most of those quakes were small time (3.0 to 5.5 on the R-scale).

I used to laugh at people that are scared of earthquakes, but after living through the magnitude 7.1 Loma Prieta quake of 1989 I will never criticize anyone again. This was a very damaging earthquake that cost the cities in the Bay Area billions of dollars in damages and hundreds of lives.

I was in San Francisco near the Marina district at the time. This area was hit hard by the quake - power was out for 3 days, fires everywhere, small buildings collapsed, etc. In Oakland across the SF Bay, the upper level of the Cyrpess Expressway pancaked on to the bottom level killing some 280 people. All in all it was not a fun week.

Here is a link for those of you that are not familiar with the history of this quake: http://www.sfmuseum.org/1906/89.html. There is also info on the big 1906 quake here.

Personally I think tornadoes are worse than earthquakes, but I can understand how people fear the earth shaking. I would rather risk a big quake every 30 years or so rather than a number of tornadoes every year.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

That's wild, LadyZ! We've had them up this way and I've never felt one, but my last boss said she did one time and it knocked a stuffed doll off her baby's dresser!

Larry... LOL, free nanny services for lodging? LOLOL
Old 12-10-2003, 06:13 AM   #17
Donut
Jack Burton

So LadyZ - what we all want to know is did the earth move for you?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #18
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Donut. Donut. Donut.
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 07:07 AM   #19
Epona
Zartan

I've felt a couple - the last one was just over a year ago (sometime between August & November last year, when I was living with my parents). I was in bed and my bed had a good old rattle, a couple of things fell over, and my birds went berzerk, flapping around and squawking. It was a bit alarming (OK I nearly wet mesself!) because we're not really used to them here.

The other one was about 13 or 14 years ago, apparently the epicentre was in Weybridge which wasn't far from where I was living at the time - I was in a department store and everything rattled slightly, that was about it.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
quietman1920

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
So LadyZ - what we all want to know is did the earth move for you?
LadyZ- Please don't think that an earthquake is a scary bad thing. Think of an earthquake as God's way of asking for a state-wide 'shimmy'.