Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 05-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I recently was overwhelmed with the urge to play NWN again. So, I got the box down from the "Games I'm not playing for a bit", installed it, and tried to hop into the original module to get the feel of things again. To my horror, it's lagging so bad, I swear that a complete 360 degree orbit by the camera takes five minutes. I have a fairly decent computer, and it's certainly not an *old* machine, so, for SMS slang users everywhere...WTF?!

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

have you set the video options to the lowest to see if that works?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Yes. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
philip
Galvatron

little hd space free or an always-on internet connection?
edit: is it the only game/program that's lagging?

[ 05-17-2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

It seems to be the only game that's lagging, but due to it being the second of the only two games I've installed...*shrug*. As for the always online internet connection: Yes.

Old 05-18-2003, 03:07 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well post your stats here Kaltia (OS, vid card, drivers, speed etc.) and we'll have a look. Did it lag like this beforehand when you played or no?
Old 05-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
Kaltia
Jack Burton

According to drive E properties (I have no idea how to anything otherwise), I'm using 3.46GB, with 8.85GB free. "AMD Athlon Processor, 800MHz, 512MB of RAM

Old 05-20-2003, 12:10 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

FWIW, your machine should be fast enough and you appear to have plenty of ram. I am running NWN on a P3 800, with 512 megs of ram, (very similiar to your machine). I rarely experience lag and then only in mplayer games.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If you were to call their customer support, the first thing they would probably have you do is delete your game's temp folder. Alot of junk gets built up there and distracts the game. Seems that Ronn was having trouble of similar sort a long time ago, and found out that it had something to do with his printer or something like that. Have you installed any new hardware or software recently? Do you have any spyware programs hogging your resources? Try shutting down alot of stuff in the Task Manager that are not vital. These are some of the successes of the past. If not, then try a search on this forum to see what others have done. There are some old threads about lagging throughout this forum's history.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #10
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Kaltia you say this is the second game you have installed so I take it this is either a new computer or you reloaded your old computer. If this is a new computer what type of video card does it have? If it is the old one and you know it ran fine this is kind of a mute question.

Either way the two things I would do is run windows update until everything is updated. One of the big ones here to make sure is updated is Direct X. Then I would down load the latest video driver for your video card and install it.

I hope this helps,
Granamere

Also early Happy Birthday. Unless you read this on or after May 22. [img]graemlins/happybirthday.gif[/img]

[ 05-20-2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote