Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Letter

Hi!

When I played IWD 1, whenever I used Turn Undead, I'd just hear a sound like that of a church organ and that was all. Is this ability really useful or is it just hype? My tactics for dealing with undead was:
a) Fireball or Web or Grease;
b) Hack'n'slash till I got the above spells.
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Nighthawk Shadehound
Elite Waterdeep Guard

At a higher level, turn undead keeps undead from attacking you, and sometimes damage them.
Nighthawk Shadehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

At a sufficiently high level, usually 14+, the undead simply fall to pieces around the cleric who is "turn" mode. Chunks everywhere! [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You also have to take into account that for more powerful undead you need to be at even higher levels to blow them away. The Spell Undead Ward gives a boast to your turn undead ability which is usually efficient to deal with the undead on burial island.

Bone Skeletons should just fall to pieces towards the end of the game, and be able to make them move away by The Hand so Turn Undead is very helpful.

[ 03-03-2005, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

guess i had abandoned the turning ability when i didn't see results in the vale of shadows. no matter will try it sometime later or else in IWD2. I hope it works then...
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Serak Moonblade,

~ Small HoW spoiler follows

~

~

Turn Undead did nothing for me either (that I could tell) early to mid-game. HoWever (pun intended), I found it very useful (and effective) on Burial Island: When your party can only handle X undead of a certain type without losing the bubble, and X+4 descend upon you, it is nice to have Turn Undead send 5 of them running for 6 rounds or so.

EDIT: Results depend a lot on your Cleic's CLVL, compared to the monster's CLVL. I think my one DC character with Cleric skills active was CLVL12 or 13 at the time I hit B.I.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 03-04-2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote