Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

So who works for Obsidian? And what's wrong with that? Just confused and curious!

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by teardropmina:

3. some issues -- personally, two complaints; firstly, the camera control; 3D is trendy and flashy and all, but the area "disorentiation effect" is frequently furstrating. Pause in SoA-ToB is mostly for combat tactics reason; in NWN2, it's used a lot to locate where my party is in a battle~~(I've posted in general game forum, I think relic's essence engine is much superior and suitable for CRPG)
then, it's the graphic...some very good and pretty, though it needs some nice GPU to show it. but some hair texture and shadow effect is simply embrassing for a game that has such high system demands.
though, those succubis are really something to look at^_^
Camera is a problem when transitioning between areas, but its the first game that actually gives you MULTIPLE choices of hot to set the camera. Nobody EVER mentions that! And thank god that I am NOT forced to use a FPS mode. I got a FREE copy of Oblivion that I have NEVER played because I hate the FPS mode.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, you CAN play Oblivion in third person mode, it's really not THAT bad unless you're using a bow or casting spells, and I don't mind switching into first person to do that occasionally.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
Micah Foehammer

Isn't it just a chase camera mode and not a true overhead like NWN1, NWN2 or BG? I am pretty sure I tried that and it just wasn't the same.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 01-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
So who works for Obsidian? And what's wrong with that? Just confused and curious!
Oh no one here I believe. Robert the bard is just trying to paint a black picture of me. It's funny really, I just disagree with the unfair treatment of the game here. People complaining about nonsense like the UI and pathfinding while I don't hear them complain about the even worse NWN1 problems. It's rediculous. They should complain about the game because of the few real problems: forced NPC's, way too much hack&slash in some parts and the bad combat AI of NPC's. But again, those things are already better than they were in NWN1, so I am very vocal when I see another one of those insane "nwn1 was so much better" posts.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Oh no one here I believe. Robert the bard is just trying to paint a black picture of me. It's funny really, I just disagree with the unfair treatment of the game here. People complaining about nonsense like the UI and pathfinding while I don't hear them complain about the even worse NWN1 problems. It's rediculous. They should complain about the game because of the few real problems: forced NPC's, way too much hack&slash in some parts and the bad combat AI of NPC's. But again, those things are already better than they were in NWN1, so I am very vocal when I see another one of those insane "nwn1 was so much better" posts. [/QUOTE]I don't think RTB is trying to paint a black picture of you because the two of you don't agree about NWN2. I don't agree with him either on NWN2 and you don't see him getting into my face about it, do you? RTB and I have had several lengthy debates about NWN2 vs NWN1. We don't agree because his focus is on the toolset, and mine is on the game itself. Fair enough.

I think what he objects to the way that you respond to people at times. Like dismissing hayesed22's original post with a mocking laugh, like dismissing my "reality" comment as "silly". It's not so much what you say that he objects to, but the way that you say it. Just the way I see it. It's not business - it's personal. [img]smile.gif[/img]

okay, end of my 2 cents ....... back to NWN2

Forced NPC's? Yep, I agree. Hated that totally! Can think of at least two cases where the NPC forced on me would have been left to rot after quick death in a couple of other RPG's. But you can't kill them off - just like NWN1 btw.

Too much Hack and Slash? That's a subjective point of view and I disagree

Combat AI? Yeah, bugged but SO much better than ANYTHING else that it's a huge positive step! The bugs aren't that big anyway.

Toolset? NWN1 is better. NWN2 toolset is clumsy, awkward and not user friendly. NWN1 has it ALL over its sequel so far.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #17
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Thanks for steppin' up Micah.

I don't know you well enough to paint any kind of picture of you. The fact is, I was responding to Moz's question about your rude reply to the initial post. The Obsidian comment I made stems from a post I made some time ago asking you if you did work for them, considering the way you automatically jumped down anyone's throat who said anything negative about NWN's 2. My lack of response to your reply to my post is due to what I said in the quoted post. Since your idea of helping is to trash whoever posts problems, I really don't pay much attention to what you say.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

This thread is kind of hilarious.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Guess they are just following the same road as many other gamedevelopers these days, the long and really boring way of the all mighty patch...

Well in that regards I have to say that BG games are more blogged down with pathfinding erros and pointless deaths, and of course, alot of frustrations. However, Obsidian still has to release a game that is nicely patched and taken care of from start to finish. Many of the problems with NWN2 comes from NWN 1 and feels reused material all over the place .

However, I still find NWN 2 better then NWN 1 allthough I would still see alot of aprovements with NWN 2, espcially the ugly heads for many of the races, ouch, dogbites! I mean elven grace? Did the lead graphic artist even rad that when they decided to make the elven heads look like squirrel rejects from Over the hedge?

Also, I still see some of the old Munchkin behavior when it comes to stacking bonuses as well even though it is rarer now then in NWN 1

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think the problem, Sperov, is that you have a tendency to dismiss the opinions of people who are having technical issues with NWN2, on the basis that you haven't been having the problems yourself, therefore they do not exist and people are morons for voicing their opinions. Nothing wrong with liking NWN2 over NWN1, and vice versa - but to characterise people's opinions as nonsense, when they may be valid based on their experiences, only leads people to place yours in the same category.

Also, a "BWAHAHAHA" hardly adds to the value of the discussion. Rob wouldn't have felt the need to respond the way he did if you hadn't done that in the first place.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote