Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Gherbod
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default solo Gnome Cleric/Illusionist

I am one of those who is addicted to BGII and replay it over and over. I've soloed it twice before (Sorceror, FMT) and got the itch to try again. I wanted my character to use Jan's image so I started looking at the gnomes and chose Cleric/Illusionist because it sounded like it could lead to some interesting play. (Sequencers and contingencies with cleric spells in them.) Then I came on to Ironworks and almost immediately found some threads where others were talking about this combo. I have to say it has been a lot of fun so far. Basically in the lowest levels I simply follow around my skeletons and take care of them while they take care of the competition!! I anticipate that this will become very easy when I hit cleric 15 but that is going to take a while and so the game will not become "easy mode" too soon. I also recommend this combo because it leads to diverse play opportunities. For example, I had to find a way to kill Ihtafeer last night... I didn't have a magic weapon and the skeletons could not touch her. I was able to use "Strength" "Blur" "Mirror Image" "Stoneskins" "Draw on Holy Might" and "Righteous Magic" (and that Cleric lvl 2 hammer spell) to good effect and wallop that witch!! Nice to make use of the whole spellbook for once.

- Gherbod
Gherbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: solo Gnome Cleric/Illusionist

Sounds awesome! Keep us updated!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Gherbod
Elite Waterdeep Guard

spoiler alert space

la te da

don't look down here!!!

watch out for spoilers!!!

okay... game has been cool so far. Here are some interesting new things that I've learned so far...

Lvl 5 mage spell "Summon Lesser Earth Elemental" has proven very useful. It gets very low marks in spell guide's I've looked at for very good reasons: 3 round summon, 15% chance elemental attacks YOU, elemental is kinda weak anyhow. I don't dispute these problems but wanted to share that the elementals have proven critical for me in several areas by outperforming my expectations against certain foes including: Gauths, Shades, Mummies, (ghasts as well?). Turns out the elementals are 100% immune to these annoying foes and although I had sent them in as cannon fodder they confounded my expectations by tanking!! Of course... YMMV and don't try them against beholders.

Next cool thing is that the necklace the gives you 100% poison resistance protects you from Cloud Kill. Now CK is a spell that lends itself to very cheesy usage (i.e. casting it into a room and closing the door) but I feel that if you use it during combat and stay in melee range of the foes you are targeting... that it is not cheesy... rather working as intended. So I plan to keep this necklace and use CK from time to time. Only problem with it so far is that CK will turn my summons against me even if they take no damage from the poison (Earth elementals for example). Oh well.

Time to go to Windspear Hills.

- Gherbod
Old 10-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

Sounds interesing, what mods and patches are you using?

Also what does YMMV mean?
Ilyich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

your mileage may vary

i enjoyed playing a C/M (aerie) and discovered a very groovy anti-lich weapon in her spellbooks - if you'd like me to share it let me know (don't want to rob you of the joy of the discovery)
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
Gherbod
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
Sounds interesing, what mods and patches are you using?
I just installed the basic fixpack from the gibberlings 3 website.

(http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2fixpack/)

I'm not using any mods at the moment (not even Ease of Use). I'm not a purist about this, just lazy.

- Gherbod
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Gherbod
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
your mileage may vary

i enjoyed playing a C/M (aerie) and discovered a very groovy anti-lich weapon in her spellbooks - if you'd like me to share it let me know (don't want to rob you of the joy of the discovery)
Please share. I always enjoy reading about (and trying) insteresting spell combinations.

- Ghebod
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

spell trigger with 3x bolts of glory (cleric lvl 6)

10d6 points of damage or so v. undead per bolt and, here's the thing, no save [img]smile.gif[/img]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
Gherbod
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So far all I have to work with is the minor sequencer but I look forward to trying the 3X bolts of glory. Should be a nice surprise for certain extremely tough undead foes.

Another aside for those who might want to try this... my Thaco is turning out to be relatively decent (or at least not shameful) and I have two viable modes of play now. I either summon an army and support it... or I self buff and go in swinging.

"Very nice!" - Borat

- Gherbod