Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've recently tried a solo assassin game and am doing well.I won't bore you with what gear etc, just go striaght onto the problems i've found.
Maybe some spoilers, i don't know yet as i've not decided quite what i'm going to say.
Low level Problems.
Lack of invisibility potions --- I didn't have many at the start, and when you're only in Studded Leather, and with a shortsword +1, when you get randomly attacked by a group of thugs, one in platemail +1 and grouped with a few mages and clerics, this can realy hurt.
SOLUTION --- I was NE so i got vamparic touch, which 1 hitted most of them, and then it was just a melee duel with a mage left, so i obveously won that.

Not healing when resting --- I found this quite annoying, as when i'm not invisible i have to fight like a warrior, and get hurt alot. Then i have to resort to healing potions, and i run out. So when i have no life, no potions, no vamparic touch and no invisibility, i tend to die.
SOLUTION --- Crossbow of speed, or a sling of some kind. When you can't fight like a warrior, run like a theif. Then shoot like an archer. Then run a bit more
[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Running out of bolts or bullets --- When you forget to buy them, and are killing everything (almost) with your crossbow or sling, you run out of ammo. This is a problem, leaving you to fight like a warrior again.
SOLUTION --- Don't be lazy and buy some more, i realised that in the end that would be the right way to go. And low and behold, it works.

That's about all i can be bothered to do, maybe i'll post more later.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

When you get attacked by random Thugs you can usually run so you don't need to fight them. About healing/resting. First you can set the option "Rest until healed" on. Then when you are in trouble try to run around a little and hide in shadows. What you should do on the beginning of the game is steal as much potions (all kinds of them) especially Oil of Speed, it helps very much. Then you should get the Boots of Speed as fast as you can. Then you are pretty good for most of the game. I mean you can you the hit and run tactics then efficiently. Also get Tuigan and some good bolts. (Prefferebly Bolts of Biting)
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

Xen, Tuigan is a fast bow. You must mean ARROWS of Biting, not Bolts of Biting.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

You could try to find a ring of regeneration to help with healing...I think this will let you heal over night but someone else will have to confirm this. If you don't know where to find one, just ask for some hints.

Also, poison weapon is your best friend as a solo assassin. By using this ability with a fast firing ranged weapon, ala Tuigan, you can pop some poisoned arrows into multiple opponents before the poison ability runs out. It does good damage and does it over time...it's great against spellcasters too.

Generally you should stick to ranged weapons to protect those hitpoints. You could also look for some ranged weapons that don't require ammunition to fire. There are a couple returning daggers, short bows with their own ammo and (w/ TOB, a dart and x-bow).
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:19 AM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Good advice so far. Use ranged weapons as much as possible. Tuigen bow is one of the best options early in the game, especially since you can visit a merchant in Waukeen's Promenade that carries LOTS of arrows that are easy to steal.

One other item that can be invaluable early in the game can be found in the sewers under the Temple District. After loading up on arrows, go down into the sewers and head for the center section (avoid the party to the right unless you feel ready for them). Kill the rakshasa and take the Cloak of Sewers from him. That's an item I've never really used much in my previous games, but my solo bard has discovered just how valuable it can be to put this cloak on AFTER a really hard battle. Shapechange into a troll and you will regenerate ALL of your lost hp in a very short order.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Besides the Tuigan Bow, you can also consider the usage of... Darts. Darts of Wounding used in conjunction with Poison Weapon is a very deadly combination to enemies that do not have outstanding saves.

Additionally... you do not need to keep on stealthing in the midst of battle. Of higher concern is your movement speed. If you have not done so, start stocking up potions for the great journey known as-

-The Quest For The Boots Of Speed.

Once you get those, stealthing will become easier because you can run out of sight, then run into a shadow for an easy fast stealth, and finally, run back to the enemy for another backstab courtesy of an Assassin.

Repeat after me. Oils of Speed are my friends, Oils of Speed are my friends. Oils of Speed are my friends.

Potions of Invisibility and their ilk should only be used in dire situations, or when you start running of inventory space. Remember also that you can use the Ring of Air Control and the Ring of Invisibility for more stealthing options.

Lastly... when your Assassin is of higher levels, consider Traps. With the aid of the Mercykiller Ring, getting a decent score(75%) in Traps should not pose too great a problem. They will be very useful to your Assassin in laying ambushes.

i.e. Assassin takes the "Buried Man" quest and searches for the Guy in Red. Before entering the building, he lays some traps at the door's entrance and then enters. He initiates conversation which leads to the men fleeing. Assassin chases after them, when outside, the men turn hostile and the traps activate. Giving your Assassin a huge advantage in the start.

For healing options... there is always the temple. Need cash? Go pickpocket stuff to sell. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

my solo-thief-post-dungeon-pickpocketing spree for powergamed thieves centred on waukeens promenade usually includes (3 or 4 stacked potions of thievery required)

the two scroll sellers (scribe or sell or stash)
the fletcher (stash) - arrows of dispelling are awesome btw for setting up backstabs against stoneskined mages
the armourer in the same shop (sell mainly)
a ring of regeneration somewhere (a forum search will get you the lcoation if you don't know it)

it feels a bit wrong by the way but it gives you a signficant boost

oh yes, a quick dash to watcher keep can net you a potion case and an ammo belt if you know where those things can be found (all it takes is boots or oil of speed) - helps with the arrows and the buffing

have fun

i'm sure i'll be starting a high-level assassin->fighter dual before long - it just sounds so interesting [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-08-2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just got the Tuigan bow, although i took the place out easy.Another problem, followed by a solution, and again, feel free to add YOUR solutions.

The Beastmaster --- I took him out, by poisoning my wepon, hiding in shadows, walking down to him and backstabbing him, which killed him. I then was surrounded by Tabitha, a few bears, a Minotor and a few other things. Big problem, after a second they'd mauled half my life away.
SOLUTION --- Potion of speed and RUN. I didn't use invisibility, i decided it would wear off too quick and would be wasted, Tabitha was as fast as me (just about) so i had to close the door and lock her inside.

Looking forward to progressing a bit more. Thanks for the advice. Will post again soon. [NOTE Tuigan bow used along with poison wepon is VERY nasty, and EXTREMLY helpful.]

[ 12-08-2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: TheGodThatFailed ]
Old 12-08-2004, 11:34 AM   #9
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

divide and slaughter

you can kill the animals in the first 4 cells without the beastmaster seeing you using stealth alone - for the two nearest you do

stealth
open door
run away before stealth expires
stealth
stab animal then fight it out (if you go back in the corridor the beastmaster sees you)

repeat on the other side. . .

ok, in 'reality' he'd notice the animals dying but it's possible in the game . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #10
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Minor Spoiler
HUGE problem --- Rayic Gatheras. It took my around 3 solid hours to kill him. Problem was his buffs, and lack of means to heal.
SOLUTION --- I would poison my wepon OUTSIDE the house, then hide in shaodws, and enter. I would then shoot the mephit infront of the stairs dead and take an invis. potion. Then i'd walk past the golems and up to Rayic, who would then obliterate me. In the end i used 3 master theif potions, and stole 80 arrows of dispelling, and 120 arrows of biting from waukeens prom. and also baught myself the Mercykiller Ring.(although that's not important) I then used the same method of getting UP to rayic, and i hit him with an arrow of dispelling to dispell his buffs BEFORE he got chance to talk to me. He then entered dialog with me, where i said 'Ok i'll jus tbe going.' I then fired an arrow of biting mixed with 'poison wepon' which prevented him from casting anymore. He tried to buff again, failed the spell, and took another of the same deadly arrow combo. He then fell easyly. [NOTE arrows of biting and Poison Wepon make a MEAN combo]

As always, feel free to post your own solutions, and i'll be updating later.

[ 12-08-2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: TheGodThatFailed ]