Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

Default Yet to play DA:O but already miffed

I'm stuck in the very undesirable position of owning the actual game, yet unable to play due to the fact that I lack a computer to play it on. I'm waiting out this video card shortage debacle, until then no computer to play

But anyway, my Collectors Edition came several days ago. I was expecting to spend many hours on the ol' toilet reading up on the manual/game literature as I've done with previous BioWare games (Baldur's Gate, IWD, NWN, etc). But this manual is near worthless. I was extremely surprised, and a little angry at the lackluster manual.

Of course I blame EA for this.

/End rant.

I just had to get it out, this manual is woefully deficient IMO. Of course I doubt the game will disappoint.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: Yet to play DA:O but already miffed

The manual is the direct opposite of the game - and since the game has an ingame codex with explanations ( that you pick up from books and scrolls in the world ) then you do actually have the manual - you just have to make it first...did that make any sense to anyone but me?
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
The manual is the direct opposite of the game - and since the game has an ingame codex with explanations ( that you pick up from books and scrolls in the world ) then you do actually have the manual - you just have to make it first...did that make any sense to anyone but me?
No it makes sense. I'm well aware of the codex feature, but I guess I'm just old fashioned. I like having big, hefty manual that I can read out of boredom.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes the manual is skimpy. Still, better to have a low content manual than a low content game. And let me tell you, this game has tons of it.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

I feel ya too Secretmaster I also miss the wire bound awesomely thick type manual. I blame the D&Der in me that loves to read and reread over the rules and absorb the content.

I can't compain about DA's manual too much. These days we are lucky to get anything more than a registration card and PDF file.

SW nailed it though, the game's greatness makes up for a smallish manual in droves!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Indeed. I really can't wait to play this game. It's just sitting on my desk. On the other hand, its probably a good thing as once I start playing, it sure will be hard to focus on my studies.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I got the standard version of the game, which in the UK was £14 ($21) cheaper. I then bought the Collector's Edition Strategy Guide, which was £12, which is hardback with an extra 100 pages (400 in total) for interviews with the developers about the making of the game and full page colour artwork from the game.

The way I saw it was the Collector's Edition had the small artbook and the making of video and the OST. Well I now had the equivalent of a 20 page full size artbook, an 80 page book on the making of and the ability to already go to You Tube and check out the making of video's and the soundtrack songs!

So between the standard edition and the huge strategy guide I feel I have spent my money wisely.

(Bear in mind I am in the UK, where the CE didn't have a tin box or come with the cloth map, like the rest of the world!)
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote