Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Evening all

I'm on the first dwemer mission for Edwina where you have to get the dwemer tube from the ruins at the very NW of morrowind. I've got rid of the two sphere thingies and then this great monstrosity snuck up on me whilst I was away from the keyboard for a second. I managed to recall away to the entrance before he killed me (takes 2 - 3 blows), but unfortunately he followed.

I now have the problem in that whenever I go back in, he's right there waiting for me. I tracked down a decent summon spell (frost atronach) but even if i successfully cast that, he doesn't kill it fast enough and I get battered to death.

My character is a level 9 or 10 breton mage with all magic stats between 45 and 55. The only enchanted item I have at the moment is a constant effect restore health 0-3pts but that's not much use to me here. As far as i know, calm spells don't work on dwemer or daedra (and these are my normal solutions to close range encounters), greater fireball doesn't do enough damage and he's too close to use my trusty bound longbow.

I really don't want to have to pick up a great big hammer and fight hand to hand because that doesn't fit with the character image I have in my head, and whilst I can get tubes elsewhere, it's a point of principle now to beat this guy.

So do any experienced mages out there have any suggestions for me?
Thanks in advance!

[ 04-30-2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Oruboris

Chameleon before entering. Climb/levitate to somewhere high before he can see you, unleash wrath from there.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Heh, fantastic! He just killed three frost atronachs in a row, so i was beginning to despair! 4 arrows in the head later and he's toast.

I had no idea chameleon was so effective..luckily i had an amulet giving 80% chameleon for 60secs that i forgot about and just had enough height to levitate and be out of reach.

Need to get some effective offensive spells though, i fired off 4 Greater Fireballs and barely 5% worth of damage was knocked off. Nightmare!

Thanks very much [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

yah, you need to make your own spells. The ones they give you are HORRIBLE.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Jelly Sculptress
The Magister

I'm a breton witchhunter and I found early on in the game that the most effective spell to use was Absorb Health because it heals you at the same time as hurting them. As I gained levels and strength I had much more success just whacking things over the head than using magic - but good luck!! Oh and hello to someone on my side of the Atlantic! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Create a spell which does example,
100 pts fire damage + weakness to fire 100 pts

such spell will do lots of damage.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #7
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

holy beans kakero, did you read his magicka stats? he won't be able to cast that spell for at least a month with LOTS of practice.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I said example didn't I ? don't need to actually follow it if the character isn't capable of casting such spell. however, the range can be lowered in order to suits the character ability.

[ 05-01-2004, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:57 AM   #9
Oruboris

Yeah, the offensive magic, even the home brewed kind, kinda sucks.

With over 350 magika and several nice DIY spells, I still can't go from one town to the next without needing to whack something with a conventional weapon: I can fly all the way accross the island, but can't begin to take out all the cliff racers I meet along the way.

Oh well, I'm still having fun...

Oh, a nice little enchanted item to go with the shadow amulet [80% for 60 seconds]: a shadow ring, 20% for 120 seconds...

And a couple of spells I find endlessly useful: levitate for 8 seconds, very cheap to cast, great for crossing tall mountains, etc, and chameleon 100% for 5 seconds: time enough to pick a lock without being seen...

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:00 AM   #10
theGrimm
Manshoon

Mmmm, the only way I've been able to play a mage char succesfully is home-brewed restore magicka potions. Call it cheesy, but it's the only way to bring a pure spellcaster on par with any kind of fighter.

Add a few fortify willpower potions, and you can, theoretically, kill anything with a low level character.

@shamrock...how did you get that constant effect item with a level 10 char?
By the way...most mechanical creatures are very elemental-resistant. Fire spells don't do much damage, but try Damage Health instead. Worked for me. "Weakness to Fire" first could also work, as could Absorb Health.
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote