Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
ZFR
Legion Symbol

btw, why do you all assume the protagonist is male?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
btw, why do you all assume the protagonist is male?
I think it seems that Bioware have always lent a little towards a male PC, I just get that impression from much of the NPC interactions and dialogue. Maybe its because a majority of the rpg demographic are male and without generalising too much here [img]redface.gif[/img] I think *most* guys will usually go for a male PC simply for RP purposes.

That said I have to admit I've only played through the games with a female character a few times so maybe its just sexism on my part.

Another clue however may be the love interests in BG II - 3 ladies (however dubious) for a male PC and only 1 (very dubious ) guy for the discerning female character.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #13
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I have played a lot the game a lot of times with female characters, and there are still dialogues in which the people address you as a male. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Race class and alignment...

A human, Chaotic Neutral Assassin, dualed to a Cleric towards the end of BG I, and switched to Neutral Evil at the end of SoA.

It just seems to fit. Bhaal is the god of murder, so the PC finding his/her niche in the role of Assassin is highly likely. Once the PC finds out his/her godhood, kills Sarevok, etc, I think he/she would switch over to a cleric, once more, just because it seems to fit.

[ 06-07-2006, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Kyrvias ]
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #15
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrvias:
Race class and alignment...

A human, Chaotic Neutral Assassin, dualed to a Cleric towards the end of BG I, and switched to Neutral Evil at the end of SoA.
indeed - i had some very similar thoughts about my assassin->cleric solo - so much killing, so obsessed with murder that it becomes a religion kind of thing - maybe the perfect evil character

{off topic} having said that it occurs to me as i type that assassins shouldn't be allowed to be chaotic - it's not a profession that lends itself to erratic behaviour and impulsivity imo . . .

{back on topic} i've just gone through the end of SoA into ToB with my latest party and wondered whether the rewards you get for your PC in that place you go to might give us a clue - assuming (as i am) that 'the story' PC is basically good (and without spoilers) what do we get?

acutally, i'm not sure what to make of that - kinda front-line oriented i reckon, nice stacking potential with a certain mage melee protection spell though . . . and a stat boost that helps neither mages (much) or warriors - hmm . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

nothing personal Armen, but I dont really think that an assasin would be considered lawful. Chaotic means that they dont abide by laws doesn't it? or have i got my wires crossed somewhere.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Not necessarily, timothy. That you obey rules doesn't mean that they are the same rules that everyone else obeys.

Think of the baatezu. Pit Fiends, for example. They are the personification of Lawful Evil, beings born of the very law. You can't get much more lawful than that.

Now, summon a pit fiend in a somewhat nice and ordered society like Athkatla, and see what it does to the presumably also lawful city guards.

Lawful doesn't mean that you obey the laws, it means that you obey some sort of inner moral code. If that moral code says that you must kill all who have brown hair, it's not a problem. To the alignment, at least.

Likewise, being chaotic doesn't mean that you don't obey the laws, it means that you are unpredictable, change your opinions often and think that "I feel like it" is a good enough reason for anything up to and including genocide.

At least that's how I understood the DnD alignment system. I could be mistaken.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

That's a very good way of explaining it. Using the aformentioned explanation, it's easy to justify an Assassin being Chaotic Neutral. And, either way, isn't Ollidamarra (sp? The god of rouges) Chaotic Neutral?
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:21 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

the book was terrible.. /shudder

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:26 AM   #20
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i guess i should have said that the way i play assassins doesn't lend itself to chaotic alignments

my assassins are the sort of people who will hide in the water at the bottom of a sewer for hours waiting to get the perfect hit on a patrolling monster - they'll spend days in libraries researching the right sort of poison to affect yan tui mages - they'll carefully weigh up any situation and only commit themselves if they know they can win . . .

chaotic neutral?

Armen is offline   Reply With Quote