Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Vampire

I was really looking forward to WoW (my first MMOG) until I learnt that it's everyone just kills and gets high levels.

Is this true?

Basically I want:

1. a game where everyone isn't level 900 and there is a wide spectrum of abilities/monsters and things to do...

2. where u can relax or fight monsters and everyone isn't rushing to kill each other.

3. where it is vaguely D&D like without being too different

4. NOT guildwars, as i dislike the idea of being disattached with rest of the world. I like travelling long journey's and having people ambush me... it feels real.

Is there a MMOG that resembles this?

Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:

I was really looking forward to WoW (my first MMOG) until I learnt that it's everyone just kills and gets high levels.

Is this true?

Basically I want:

2. where u can relax or fight monsters and everyone isn't rushing to kill each other.

Wow is like this, especially on the alliance side.

There are plenty of people of all levels.

I have a level 33, a level 18, a couple level 10-12s, a level 20...

I've been doing tons of different characters and questing. I also tried out all tradeskills. It's fun.

Wow is the game that has the most quests and things to do. That' why I'm playing this game. I too am tired of just standing in one spot for hours killing the same respawning monsters over and over to raise my level the fastest.

My level 33 character has been questing and grouping a lot. I even outleveled 3-4 zones I could have explored/quested in, because all my other quest leveled me already.

This mean that you can't explore everything in one game. I've explored a lot on Kalimdor, the western continent, but I've only visited one area on the eastern one. I'm looking foward to making a new character and exploring those zones.

I'll also have to make two horde characters, so that I can explore the quests they got on those continents too.

In every mmorpgs there are people that just want to level and rush to get the level cap as soon as possible. There will always be someone higher level than you. If you can't accept that, then mmorpgs are not for you...

People aren't killing each other, at least not on non-pvp servers, by the way...

Wow is the game that is the most quest oriented and casual player friendly I've played.

Edit: You can pvp on non pvp server, either if you active pvp on your character by typing /pvp, by attacking someone that has pvp activated, of by going to the upcoming battlegrounds.

[ 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:

Is this true?

Basically I want:

1. a game where everyone isn't level 900 and there is a wide spectrum of abilities/monsters and things to do...

3. where it is vaguely D&D like without being too different

4. NOT guildwars, as i dislike the idea of being disattached with rest of the world. I like travelling long journey's and having people ambush me... it feels real.

Luvian pretty much summed it up.

The level difference really depends on your area in WoW. Naturally there are some places where you will frequently find higher level chars than yourself. This is generally typical of when you are first entering a new region. However, as you progress you will notice that the level difference isn't so bad. But do keep in mind there are always areas where there will be high level characters, often those are frequently raided.

I've been around Kalimdor mainly, in zones such as the barrens, mulgore, durotar, ashenvale, and more. Now these things don't mean anything to you (unless you know enough about WoW). But the great things about Blizzards system of zone dividement is that each zone pertains to a certain level range, so you will almost always been around the same level with your fellow players.

And also, Blizz made a pretty good level cap of 60 and that is very hard and long to reach, especially if you have a life/job/school. Rushing the game makes it worse. I've had the game for a month now and I am just about to hit lvl 29.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Vampire

so what i don't get is, if u guys have finished all the quests, then what is there left for me to do? :s

or do new quests come up ALL the time? or they the same quests respawn?

when do u hit PvP and does that have quests as well or is it one big battlefield?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My main is lvl 55 mage and I can assure you I have a full slate of quests. I also have a little druid I work on. There is a LOT to do
Old 01-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
so what i don't get is, if u guys have finished all the quests, then what is there left for me to do? :s

or do new quests come up ALL the time? or they the same quests respawn?

when do u hit PvP and does that have quests as well or is it one big battlefield?
I havn't finished all the quest, I'm a 33 alliance and I haven't even done half the level 1-33 alliance quests, let alone the horde ones...

Quest don't diseapear if someone do them, they are still there for you to do.

I linked you to an arcticle that explained the whole battleground, I also said there were pvp quests, check it out...

They will add new quests and content every once in a while. Think of them as free downloadable expension packs.

There will also of course be real expension packs available later for the big stuff.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
Vampire

I read the PvP stuff, and that was really helpful!

However for normal quests, does that mean we all do the same quests (or have the same quests available to us)?

how does that work???? if we are on the same server how can we possible do the same quests without bumping into each other?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

So you ask

1. a game where everyone isn't level 900 and there is a wide spectrum of abilities/monsters and things to do = Guild Wars

2. where u can relax or fight monsters and everyone isn't rushing to kill each other. = Guild Wars

3. where it is vaguely D&D like without being too different = Guild Wars

You Discribe Guild Wars in your three statements yet you say "Not Guild Wars"

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder.

You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

So,"I say don't knock it until you try it". From what you have written as to what you want and need in a MMORPG then Guild Wars is everything you looking for.
Avatar I really think you would love Guild wars. Over the past 4 years I have read most everything you have posted and I think you would make a perfect addition to the world of Guild Wars. I believe you are a true RPG Gamer.

Guild Wars is a competitive online role-playing game. Players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a mission-based game set in a stunning 3D fantasy world that offers full, integrated support for guilds. Because the team that is developing Guild Wars has had experience creating successful online game series such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo, the members are familiar with the complex issues surrounding online games, and are creating a game that's both easy to learn and compelling to play long term, and yet doesn’t require players to spend hundreds of hours slogging through the preparation just to get to the fun bits.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Vampire

You have me more convinced (since its free) =)

However, I am not entirely clear how it differs to the following:

1) if i meet some people in real life and go multi-player in Neverwinter Nights... how is that CONCEPTUALLY different?

2) so in WoW and EQ2, can i meet new PC during a quest? I just dont like Guildwars Instancing ENTIRE quests so no one can interrupt you...

Avy

Old 01-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Hey Av, join us in the IW WoW Guild starting up! We can all group up and do quests! WOW is amazing.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote