Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

A Quiz For People Who Know Everything

(1) There's one "sport" in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. What is it?

(2) What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

(3) Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

(4) Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

(5) What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

(6) In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

(7) Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw." They are all common. Name two of them.

(8) There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name half of them?

(9) Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers?"

(10) There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls-a walk-is one way. Name the other six.

(11) It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it?

(12) Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet that begin with the letter "S."

--> Scroll down for the answers. Don't cheat! <--

"Answers To Quiz"

1. Boxing.

2. Niagara Falls. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. Baseball.

5. Strawberry.

6. The pear grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the whole growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

7. Dwarf, dwell, and dwindle.

8. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

9. In Minnesota. The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers and kept the name when they moved west.

10. Batter hit by a pitch; passed ball; catcher interference; catcher drops third strike; fielder's choice; and being designated as a pinch runner.

11. Lettuce.

12. Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, snowshoes, stockings.

...Well, now you know! Feel any smarter?

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-01-2002, 11:04 AM   #2
Mojo
Elminster

1) Sex?
2) I know nothing of America, so I disregard this question
3) Carrots and Augergines?
4) Dodgeball? If u play it an odd way...maybe...
5) Strawberry
6) The pear is grown inside the bottle - the bottle's hung over the tree where there's a little pear yet to grow...
7) Dwindle and ...
8) Full stop, comma, semicolon, colon, exclaimation mark, question mark and inverted commas.
9) I wanna say Los Angeles...but it just doesn't seem right...
10) Baseball...huh
11) Pommegranite?
12) Slippers, shoes, sandals, skin, socks, stockings

So, how did I do?

Edit: Ok, so I didn't realise that the answers were there...shall I leave mine for every1s amusement?

[ 08-01-2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Mojo ]
Old 08-01-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
A Quiz For People Who Know Everything

(1) There's one "sport" in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. What is it? Boxing?

(2) What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

(3) Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables? Asparagus for sure, and Rhubarb or Brussels Sprouts?

(4) Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball? Baseball?

(5) What fruit has its seeds on the outside? Strawberries?

(6) In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle? They put the bottle over the pear bud and let it grow inside the bottle?

(7) Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw." They are all common. Name two of them. Dwarf, Dweomer, and Dwell?

(8) There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name half of them?

(9) Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers?"

(10) There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls-a walk-is one way. Name the other six.

(11) It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it? Lettuce?

(12) Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet that begin with the letter "S." shoes, socks, sandals, slippers, soles, ski's?

--> Scroll down for the answers. Don't cheat! <--

"Answers To Quiz"

1. Boxing.

2. Niagara Falls. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. Baseball.

5. Strawberry.

6. The pear grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the whole growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

7. Dwarf, dwell, and dwindle.

8. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

9. In Minnesota. The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers and kept the name when they moved west.

10. Batter hit by a pitch; passed ball; catcher interference; catcher drops third strike; fielder's choice; and being designated as a pinch runner.

11. Lettuce.

12. Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, snowshoes, stockings.

...Well, now you know! Feel any smarter?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
Lox
Manshoon

Quote:

Ok, I'm not a huge baseball fan but me neighbor here at work is (I'm being a bad boy). We can't figure out why "passed ball" is an answer and "error" is not. Any baseball fanatics out there that can clear this up?