Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2001, 08:32 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I was thinking of starting a game as a monk because ive never used one yet. I don't know whether it would be worth it or not. If anyone has used one so far I'de appreciate hearing your critique of playing as a monk. I know what the abilities are, but how does that transfer into game play. It is pretty cool, or is it just kind of a waste? Thanks in advance to any that take the time to answer.

------------------
"They come in the dark. Always in the dark..."
Old 10-24-2001, 08:35 PM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

GO, go all the way, its awesome!!!! my monks a deathmachine with the resistances, and in TOB, his fists are considered +4!!!!!!!!!! Wicked class, but make ur con 16, cuz they're considered clerics, cuz i made that mistake.

------------------
Tis your lives to waste
-Drizzt do Urden
Old 10-24-2001, 08:40 PM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Well, just realize your monk won't be that good early in BG2, but will certainly end up as one of the best possible characters one is able to play with! I'm playing one now in my latest game and he's finally starting to become an interesting character (level 13 or something like that), with fists that are considered +2.

------------------
Not a member of any clan and is cool with that.
Talk about anything you want at The Elysium.
For online roleplaying, check The Elysium Gaming Project.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:30 PM   #4
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

My monk is a badass....
+4 fists, +4 to damage and thaco with gauntlets, -16 armor class, total resistance to magic, poison and other stuff, 200+ hit points, 10 greater whirlwinds and lots of other great special moves, 4.5 attacks per round... he's the best fighter type around. The only thing I'd compare to him is a dual weilding ranger, and then only if you get his resistances up and have really good stats and the crom fayr.

------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon
Old 10-24-2001, 09:36 PM   #5
tehmpus
The Magister

Think of it this way....

You're sitting in a hut on a mountaintop somewhere meditating on the meaning of life. Of course, you've shaved your head bald and live a life of chastity.
Money and material goods are meaningless in your existance. In your spare time, you practice some martial arts, merely to completely intwine your body and mind in one great philosophy of nature.

You are a monk.

(Dungeon Master Tehmpus' description of the monk class)

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-24-2001, 10:34 PM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-24-2001, 11:05 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

monks suck
Old 10-24-2001, 11:15 PM   #8
dwarf 13
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would say that a monk is the way to go. His fighting, even early on, is pretty good (at higher levels he's excellent), and his special abilities make him (in my opinion) the best fighter all around. Between stunning blows and all of his immunities, there is no downside.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:25 PM   #9
Nix
The Magister

I'm going thru my first game as a monk, and I must say the monk gets so powerful after lvl 15 or so that 90% of my game is practically solo with the rest of my party acting as packmules. At level 20 he's immune to normal weapons and with the right eqpt., magic resistance of 80%. Speed and power personified.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:45 PM   #10
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

The top of you head gets cold when winter arrives

------------------
The Blade Makes The Man
The Man Made The Blade
Death To All That Stand
In Their Way! BEWARE ALL!