Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 09:49 AM   #1
Ronnie James Dio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I need some help installing the game, or maybe uninstalling the game. I had the game installed a while back, but had deleted(not uninstalled) the game files not too long ago. And when i try to install the game again, it says that i have to uninstall it first, but there is no game there to uninstall! I hope someone can tell me how to get around this and what to do. I have never had this problem before with any other game. Thanks.
Ronnie James Dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 10:19 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Ronnie James Dio

Open your control panel and look in the INSTALL/UNINSTALL PROGRAMS section - see if the game is still listed there. If it is, uninstall.

If it isn't - use your explorer to manually delete all the folders related to W&W - (If you want to keep your saved games - move them into another folder). When you play the game it creates new files so which an "uninstall" will not delete.

Hope that will help you out! If not, pop your question into Saz's Help Desk thread! He's the best at these sort of difficulties!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 10:30 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You may have to edit your registry to remove all keys related to "Activision" or "WizardsWarriors". I wouldn't recommend this except as a last resort, though, because you can REALLY mess up your computer by poking around in the registry.

Did you try to uninstall through Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel? (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs). Try that before doing anything else.

Also: after uninstalling (assuming you can get it to do so), do what Wyvern says...open up My Computer, open up your C: drive (or whatever drive you installed the program to), open up the Program Files folder, open up the Activision folder, and delete the WizardsWarriors folder (if it still exists). Then empty the recycle bin.

Now try reinstalling Wizards & Warriors. If it installs, that solves your problem. If not:

-----------------------------------

IF ALL ELSE FAILS (do this ONLY as a last resort!)

Open up the Registry Editor by clicking START -> RUN and typing "Regedit" in the run program box, then click OK. The Registry Editor should now be on the screen.

Highlight "My Computer" in the left pane. Click on EDIT, then FIND from the menu bar. In the box that results, type in WizardsWarriors and press FIND NEXT. Delete each occurrence (key) of WizardsWarriors that comes up. Hit F3 to find the next occurrence after each one. When you get to the bottom, it will tell you it searched through the entire registry.

Close Registry editor, and reboot the computer. You should now be able to do a clean install.

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-01-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 10:55 AM   #4
Fallagar
Dungeon Master

The best way to handle this problem is

1. Use the Norton Utilities -> Win Doctor

2. How to uninstall a game by yourself completely

It doesn't reach out to erase the game files. You have to do the following:

a) always be careful now !!! and welcome to the machine
b) In your Windows Directory is a file called "Regedit.exe". Open it with a double click.
c) A little bit deeper you will see "HKey_LOCAL_MACHIME".
d) Go to the file "SOFTWARE", there you will see a file "Activision".
e) DELETE the "Activision" file

This file is the reason why Windows is "thinking", W&W is still installed.
End the procedure with a new start of your operation system.
Congratulation Ronnie, a new WIN-Doctor is born!

@Wyv

If Ronnie deleted the game file, he has deleted the uninstall-routine (-.exe) too. So the normal way to uninstall a game will not work no more.

Fallagar
Fallagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 11:28 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Fallagar: Just make sure he doesn't have any other Activision games, or he's S.O.L.! Best to delete out the WizardsWarriors key, rather than the Activision one, unless WizardsWarriors is the only Activision game he has.

-Sazerac
Old 06-01-2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Ronnie James Dio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yay! Thanks a bunch guys! I got it to install now. I went to the add/remove programs in the control panel and it let me remove it. I remember trying that move with other programs a long time ago, but it would never let me remove them, for reasons i really dont know, but thankfully it did with this . Thanks again for helping, i appreciate it!
Ronnie James Dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:09 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Cool!

-Sazerac
Old 06-01-2001, 09:30 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Congrats, Ronnie!!

Glad you were finally able to get the game installed! Hope to see you on this board more often now!

Wyv

------------------
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote