Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-05-2002, 12:05 AM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I just finished WK, and all I can say is, "Wow!" I would not want to meet, in a dark alley, the person who came up with that last fight on WK level 5; they would likely rip my stomach open and eat my entrails. Yes, I did it with only one reload, but I had to throw EVERYTHING I had at them. I don't think I had a single attack spell, fighter special ability, or summon spell left after that encounter. Demogorgon was MUCH easier than this fight. In fact, all three fights you have with the keys are hard, but that last one is inhuman. Anybody who doesn't think females can kick butt needs to face off against this all-female group. The make the Twisted Rune look like a preschool picnic.

Another really nasty area is WK level 3. There's nothing like leaving a dead magic zone (where you can't buff your party), and walking into a fight with a horde of demons that charm you like crazy. Also, facing the tieflings in the wild magic room was ugly, too.

The one that caught me off guard was the demilich on level 4. When I killed Kangaxx, I was able to keep my party back, and face him with only one character. In this battle, you are forced to bring your entire party face-to-face with him. I think I reloaded about 12-13 times before I got the battle in hand without getting anyone imprisoned. Very tough!

Overall, I thought this was one of the hardest, yet most rewarding, long dungeons I've played. It's kind of like Durlag's Tower from BG1, but much better (and harder). Anyway, I just wanted to vent after my hard-fought victory.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 06:12 AM   #2
Jan

Yep lot's of hard battles. Demilich, dragon and ......

This was a very funny dungeon. I was impressed.

The last battle was a nasty one. Demo. just kept summon those demons.

Had to use a cheese tactic.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:10 AM   #3
Maniac
Dungeon Master

Yeah, I never faught the Demilich, but the Dragon seemed harder than Firkragg. Hehehe I killed both dragons on the same game day.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
Big Red
Dungeon Master

I guess I got lucky with the demi lich then.

Korgan whacked him on the head with the RuneHammer and he died first hit (probably failed his saving throw and died) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:35 AM   #5
StormCast
Dungeon Master

Well, its easy if u solo a mage, then ur biggest problem, and its big, is wk3 in the dead and wild magic rooms... Took all tree last battles in 5 with 1 TS each, and the same on demo.
Three Rings for the elven kings under the sky,<br />Seven for the dvarf lords in their halls of stone,<br />Nine for mortal men doomed to die,<br />And One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p>One Ring to rule them all,<br />One Ring to find them,<br />One ring to bring them all,<br />And in the darkness bind them.<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p><br />StormCast
StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

My strategy for the last fight on WK5 (apart from the standard pre-fight buffing & summoning spells) was to attack from the right-hand side, instead of the left. Both sides have a brutal lineup, but I found that the ones on the right (Kensai, Archer, and a Drow who casts Insect Plague) caused me some SERIOUS pain if I didn't take them down hard and FAST. I just sent my near-invincible Tank (Undead Hunter with Cloak of Mirroring) over to the left side to keep them busy while I plastered their right flank.

The dead-magic and wild-magic rooms didn't bother me as far as my own spells were concerned, as my party was very capable with just weapons & bows. What annoyed me were all the Quasits--My girlfriend got turned into a man, and I lost all my gold. The loss of over 250,000 GP is not something I take lightly, so I had to reload and had my archers take that room.

Actually, you DON'T have to take your whole team against the Demi-Lich. My Berserker->Cleric was able to go in and slowly pound him to death with Crom Fayer. (If you don't have a Berserker, I think the Rod of Absorbtion, usable by any Cleric or Mage, will protect you for 4 rounds per charge. Or Protection from Magic or Undead, of course.)

The dragon was tough, but soooooo worth it. Besides, I'm used to casting Raise Dead & Heal.

I never even challenged the Demogorgon--they said killing him would free him, so I let him lie.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:25 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
My strategy for the last fight on WK5 (apart from the standard pre-fight buffing & summoning spells) was to attack from the right-hand side, instead of the left. Both sides have a brutal lineup, but I found that the ones on the right (Kensai, Archer, and a Drow who casts Insect Plague) caused me some SERIOUS pain if I didn't take them down hard and FAST. I just sent my near-invincible Tank (Undead Hunter with Cloak of Mirroring) over to the left side to keep them busy while I plastered their right flank.

The dead-magic and wild-magic rooms didn't bother me as far as my own spells were concerned, as my party was very capable with just weapons & bows. What annoyed me were all the Quasits--My girlfriend got turned into a man, and I lost all my gold. The loss of over 250,000 GP is not something I take lightly, so I had to reload and had my archers take that room.

Actually, you DON'T have to take your whole team against the Demi-Lich. My Berserker->Cleric was able to go in and slowly pound him to death with Crom Fayer. (If you don't have a Berserker, I think the Rod of Absorbtion, usable by any Cleric or Mage, will protect you for 4 rounds per charge. Or Protection from Magic or Undead, of course.)

The dragon was tough, but soooooo worth it. Besides, I'm used to casting Raise Dead & Heal.

I never even challenged the Demogorgon--they said killing him would free him, so I let him lie.

Actually, it MADE
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 02-06-2002, 10:27 PM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

quote:

Actually, it MADE me take my whole party in against the Demilich. Trust me, I didn't want to.

You get 100,000 quest xp each for killing Demogorgon. Definitely worth it.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:54 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Hmmm. Odd that I could send in a man solo against the Demi-Lich, and you couldn't. If you've got to take your whole team in there, the only way I can think of is to use Protection from Magic on the Demi-Lich itself--from what I saw, he NEVER runs out of Imprisonments, and he casts them at your back rank, too--not just the guy(s) pounding on him.

I would have fought Demogorgon, but I was RPing a Good character, and freeing a powerful demon didn't seem right. That XP sure is tempting, though, especially for Multiclassed characters. (Boy, I wish my Mages had TWO 9th-level slots, instead of just one.....)
Old 02-07-2002, 10:39 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

quote:
Hmmm. Odd that I could send in a man solo against the Demi-Lich, and you couldn't. If you've got to take your whole team in there, the only way I can think of is to use Protection from Magic on the Demi-Lich itself--from what I saw, he NEVER runs out of Imprisonments, and he casts them at your back rank, too--not just the guy(s) pounding on him.

I would have fought Demogorgon, but I was RPing a Good character, and freeing a powerful demon didn't seem right. That XP sure is tempting, though, especially for Multiclassed characters. (Boy, I wish my Mages had TWO 9th-level slots, instead of just one.....)

Actually, I beat the demilich by using the ring of the ram to knock him back into one corner, while moving my mages into the opposite corner. I then closed in with the two guys that had protection from undead scrolls on them, blocking him into the corner. When the two guys closed, I used wand of conjuration to summon cheap critters, which quickly moved in to completely block him off. This changed his attention to the critters, and I quickly whacked him.