Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #31
Brennihelvete

Well personally, I cant live without a cellphone. Its the way we live up here, that makes everyone having a cellphone. Without one you can barely communicate.
A mobile phone is so much practical though, you will be much more flexible. And the newest models come with everything you'll ever need, calendars, camera, radio, games and bla bla...
They can get quite expensive though. An it cost allot to buy one too. So if you can live without one, dont bother, if not: get one [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 07:01 PM   #32
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Brennihelvete:
Well personally, I cant live without a cellphone. Its the way we live up here, that makes everyone having a cellphone. Without one you can barely communicate.
A mobile phone is so much practical though, you will be much more flexible. And the newest models come with everything you'll ever need, calendars, camera, radio, games and bla bla...
They can get quite expensive though. An it cost allot to buy one too. So if you can live without one, dont bother, if not: get one [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well, here you can get them for next-to-nothing with a cell phone plan. Of course, if you change plans you end up trashing your old cell phone most times. I'm a bit annoyed by the new models. Games - whatever. And, I don't want a calendar or scheduler with my cell phone until I can sync it to my computer like a PDA - otherwise it's simply twice the data to input.

But, all this aside - nothing beats free long distance + safety.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:08 PM   #33
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

I got a mobile phone initially because I started mixing bands in a noisy bar and the barstaff wouldn't hear their phone, so there was no way my wife could contact me unless I had one. As I was out late etc.. it made a lot of sense.

As this was also the start of my own business, I found it was a very convenient work phone. If you work for yourself of work from home but are rarely at home (ie: based there but work on sites) it is almost essential now. The work calls are tax deductable and you don't have to install a second phone line, or give out your home number for work. I find the mobile phone has increased my privacy.

My network also has a free evening call window to the same network - as I often at work at night, I have racked up hundereds of hours of free calls to my wife - keeps our relationship close even when we are not!

I would say they are great but stick to mobile etiquitte(sp?) I always switch off/run silent in movies, meetings etc.. A big one is remembering to do it if you're using public transport while using a walkman... Very bad if your phone keeps ringing and you are completely oblivious!
But here at least people don't seem to mind if you answer quickly and talk at a reasonable (no shouting!) volume.

So go for it Cloudy! Keep in mind that even if you are sure you'll only use it for emergencies that you won't...It's too easy to 'just make one quick call...and just one more...' LOL! So plan around a moderate to low usage and try to stick to it!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:29 PM   #34
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brennihelvete:
Well, here you can get them for next-to-nothing with a cell phone plan. Of course, if you change plans you end up trashing your old cell phone most times. I'm a bit annoyed by the new models. Games - whatever. And, I don't want a calendar or scheduler with my cell phone until I can sync it to my computer like a PDA - otherwise it's simply twice the data to input.

But, all this aside - nothing beats free long distance + safety.
[/QUOTE]You get contracts like that over here too. The price of the phone is almost free then, but then again a contract means you can talk as much as you want without being interreptuded by the telecompany. You just get a huge bill instead. Yeah, yeah you dont have much need for the extra goodies like games or claendar or whatever. You didnt buy a phone to play Snake did you? No, but it comes handy if youre waiting on a late bus or something [img]smile.gif[/img]
And the more extra goodies, the higher the price. So you buy a phone with lots of extra features, the newest "looK" and all, and next day its stolen. I prefer cheap phones wich only has tree uses:
-Being able to call
-SMS
-Able to save numbers on phone

They are the chepast ones anyway...
Old 02-18-2003, 07:31 PM   #35
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

May I also add that it's not a good idea to drop one's phone in a toilet...they don't really recover...
Old 02-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #36
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
May I also add that it's not a good idea to drop one's phone in a toilet...they don't really recover...
LOL Same goes for a bucket of water, although there IS insurance for that.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #37
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

It's more the 'toothbrush in the toilet' that gets me. I'm often in a hurry so it's not uncommon for me to combine things when I'm trying to get ready in the morning. I must buy a dozen bloody toothbrushes a year.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #38
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I must buy a dozen bloody toothbrushes a year.
Most dentists would say that's about how many you should buy! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 09:57 PM   #39
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, Galadria's Ex gets so annoyed with us because we will NOT leave ours on. As far as I'm concerned, it is for MY convenience, and I don't want people calling me all of the time! I really wish my landline had my cellphone's best feature, an "off" button.

[ 02-18-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 02-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #40
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, Galadria's Ex gets so annoyed with us because we will NOT leave ours on. As far as I'm concerned, it is for MY convenience, and I don't want people calling me all of the time! I really wish my landline had my cellphone's best feature, an "off" button.
Hear, hear - I tell this to people all the time. I rarely turn the thing off (even at night) but I don't always answer it, and often turn the ringer off.

This allows the phone to log all my incoming calls and tell me who called and when, even when they don't leave a message.