Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-07-2001, 10:46 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Oh and the idea of a serious discussions forum has been run past Z. He's still thinking about his upgrade in general.

I know it's one thing that works well at Mithril Hall.

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 10:47 AM   #22
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
F, please, I didn't mean for this to turn into a thread bashing Rahnid, ok? He's new and might not have been clear about our posting guidelines. We don't flame ANY member here, regardless of what they may have done. Leave that to me, Ziroc, Saz and Ertai.
Uh - was THAT a flame? Sorry! I thought flaming was cussing at someone abusively, not just commenting on someone's attitude calmly. Sheesh! I always try to be careful, too. What exactly is wrong with it? Am I being stupid? It looks ok to me.
But anyway, apologies, Memnoch, and anyone else if I offended. Including Rahnid.
Er - shall I delete the post?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 11:26 AM   #23
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

No idea why things are so political.

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

The Spaminyte Emperor
Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-07-2001, 12:29 PM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Uh - was THAT a flame? Sorry! I thought flaming was cussing at someone abusively, not just commenting on someone's attitude calmly. Sheesh! I always try to be careful, too. What exactly is wrong with it? Am I being stupid? It looks ok to me.
But anyway, apologies, Memnoch, and anyone else if I offended. Including Rahnid.
Er - shall I delete the post?

Your first sentence was a flame, albeit a small one.

A flame is a disparaging/insulting remark about someone at a personal level. This does not have to include cuss words by any means - it's the tone of the post.

The rest of your post is commenting about his post, so that's ok.

And no, you don't have to delete it, just as I didn't ask Rahnid to delete his. I thought I'd call it to your attention as I don't want a flame war to develop.

But there's no worries of that. I'm here.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 12:37 PM   #25
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I must I say agreee with Lilara...If you want to talk about Polotical things why bring it too nicel oving IronWOrks when every person knows good and well its going to start an agurment. Now mater how many warnings the mods give out, no mater how nice the overall thread out POLOTICAL THREADS ARE GOING TO CASUE FLAMES thats all there is too it people. IF you dont want an agurment, then dont start a political thread,that simple

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards
Old 09-07-2001, 12:49 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
I must I say agreee with Lilara...If you want to talk about Polotical things why bring it too nicel oving IronWOrks when every person knows good and well its going to start an agurment. Now mater how many warnings the mods give out, no mater how nice the overall thread out POLOTICAL THREADS ARE GOING TO CASUE FLAMES thats all there is too it people. IF you dont want an agurment, then dont start a political thread,that simple

Because we are human. We enjoy interacting and sometimes that means on a serious level in addition to the silly and fun ones. Yes, I know that I am usually in the last group, GR, but not always. I do have a very serious side, I just don't trot it out too often!

And conflict, real "in your face" variety conflict upsets me. I hate to see people hurt or disrespectful and it makes me very sad to be involved in it so I tend to naturally avoid things that might lead there. I have participated in more 'serious discussions' on IW than elsewhere because here I've always been afforded the right to have my own opinion and to voice it without fear of being flamed and ridiculed. I also tend to have a 'mediating' personality, a fence mender if you will and sometimes I see it isn't quite possible to make everyone 'kiss and make up' so I stay out. That lack of flamewars, btw, was something made clear to me my first weeks on the board and I've never regretted staying here because of that and the warm and friendly people I have met here. You know, I even have reasonably good friends here who don't always agree with me... eef! Of course I know I'm right... hehe *snicker*

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 01:09 PM   #27
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
without fear of being flamed and ridicule
WHAT!?! How can you say that, wasnt there just a big flame war going on right now!?

Actually come to think of it there have been quite a few serious flames latley.

There was the clan one

There was this one

and there was a another one a while back. 3 may not seem too much, but its 3 too many. And by the way cloudy your last post was toatly ignoring the my point, sure we are human and cant help falming, my point was politcial, racial and all other thread like that WILL CAUSE FLAME WARS. If you want to talk about sutff like this got to msnnbc.com, they have some boards I think for this kina stuff.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards
Old 09-07-2001, 01:17 PM   #28
Moni

I have seen quite a few political and serious topic discussions go on in this forum without them turning into flame wars. Some of them have been in-depth, intelligent discussions. It all depends on who is participating in them as to which direction they will go.
If we all remember to be civil with others and their opinions that differ from our own, there is really no need to make a separate forum for more serious discussions.
You always have the option not to post in any thread or to discontinue posting in one when someone else makes it hard for you to carry on an intelligent conversation!
I know you all see how well the serious discussion forum at Mithril Hall works but that segregates the community. Their General Discussions forum is so tame! Their Serious discussions forum is so serious! At least here, we can all converge with our discussions, jokes and casual conversation all at once! It is no different than belonging to a large family!
I would hate to see this forum fall to mere chit-chat!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-07-2001, 01:21 PM   #29
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
WHAT!?! How can you say that, wasnt there just a big flame war going on right now!?

There was the clan one

There was this one

and there was a another one a while back. 3 may not seem too much, but its 3 too many. And by the way cloudy your last post was toatly ignoring the my point, sure we are human and cant help falming, my point was politcial, racial and all other thread like that WILL CAUSE FLAME WARS. If you want to talk about sutff like this got to msnnbc.com, they have some boards I think for this kina stuff.

Flame war? Could've fooled me.

There was one flame in that entire political thread. There is a BIG difference between flaming and debating/arguing, flaming is personal, arguing/debating is not. I have no problem with arguments as they show that people are passionate about what they believe in, but they should refrain from taking things personally as that is when flames begin, you begin to focus on the people instead of the argument. This is when it's best to disassociate yourself with the thread. There's no shame in withdrawing without convincing the others, it's not a contest.

And aside from F's little indiscretion this one has no flaming whatsoever.

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 01:27 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

There was the clan one

There was this one

GR, you missed MY point- but I did see yours, really. Yes, there HAVE been incidents lately and look how much discussion was generated by them! Why? Because we don't LIKE that behavior here. And the mods are doing their jobs so the flamers will know by now that it wasn't appropriate and will stop or be stopped. We cannot control everyone who comes in and posts without thinking, but we can make things known to them and remove them later if the fail to comply with IW standards.

My point- we WILL ALWAYS have discussions of a serious (politics, religion, etc) come up, even off topic in simple fun threads. It happens. It's the nature of message boards and human beings. And there is nothing wrong with controversial subjects discussed on civil terms! But yes, I think they should be separated into another forum where a warning (about the nature of the contents) and RULES(of acceptable and inacceptable behavior) are posted. No, they do NOT have to cause flame wars. People can and DO have debates without personally insulting each other. And in separate forum, that's what the mods would watch for. GR, I think maybe you may not have realized that it is possible to talk about those things without spewing hate or violence or other insults at one another. It IS and I've seen it done at MH and in person in real life talks. I tend to avoid them alot because frankly it makes one have to think AND control ones emotions as well as use a LOT of energy. I'm all for it once in a while,but I much prefer my FUN!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."