Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-03-2001, 02:06 PM   #1
Seabird
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello All,
As you may have guessed I'm kind of new to the board. I've been sniffing around for a couple of days now. I've finished BGII twice now and have decided to start creating items. I've created several swords and such with a fair amount of success. Once I get a little better at it I plan to put up a web site so everyone may download them. I do have one question that maybe some of the other item makers out there may be able to answer. How do you get your items into your games? I've used shadow keeper to give my characters items, but that just doesn't feel right. I'd like to have them as treasure from various encounters or create my own store. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do this? How about adding itmes to existing stores?
Thanks in advance.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Seabird (edited 04-03-2001).]
Old 04-03-2001, 03:21 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird:
Hello All,
I do have one question that maybe some of the other item makers out there may be able to answer. How do you get your items into your games? I've used shadow keeper to give my characters items, but that just doesn't feel right. I'd like to have them as treasure from various encounters or create my own store. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do this? How about adding itmes to existing stores?
Thanks in advance.
I think there is a store editor utility included with Infinity Engine Editor Pro. You should be able to modify an existing store's inventory to include items you have created.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-03-2001, 03:34 PM   #3
Seabird
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Anyone know about creating a new store and how to put that into the game?
Old 04-03-2001, 04:12 PM   #4
white heron
Manshoon

Yes, you can add items to existing stores and make your own using the Infinity Engine Editor pro.Adding to existing stores is easy(i did it with BG1).I think you may have to extract the individual sto. files using Biffstripper perhaps? not sure?Creating new stores i've never done and imagine mutch more is involved.
Old 04-03-2001, 05:28 PM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

let me guess, Hesperex is making an reply here

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 04-03-2001).]
Old 04-04-2001, 08:36 AM   #6
Seabird
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks all,
Adding stuff to an existing store was very easy. Has anyone tried to add items into the random item list? I've heard this can be done but I can't seem to find any info on it. If anyone has created their own store I'd love to hear from them too.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:39 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Begin with the Infinity Editor; examine the .2da files beginning with "rnd" (like "rndtreas"). Export these and use a hex editor to alter the items listed therein. Save your new .2da file into the "override" folder and the new random item list is ready to go.

I strongly urge you to do much experimentation first before going this route. One false step and you'll likely have to reinstall your BG2 (fortunately, I haven't had to yet).

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-04-2001, 11:30 AM   #8
Seabird
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks AZred,
Any thoughts on a good hex editor? I've never done hex editing before was it difficult?

------------------
Old 04-04-2001, 12:36 PM   #9
Hesperex

Hex editing is difficult and very time consuming, however if you realy want to bother with it then Ultra Edit is a good editor http://www.ultraedit.com and the others have coverd just about everything else, oh infat you will probably want a .BIFF extrator which you can get from http://www.teambg.com among just about everything else you will need. BAM workshop is useful to as is infinity explorer.

good luck.

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.

Old 04-04-2001, 01:42 PM   #10
Seabird
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Hesperex,
I'll give it a try. By the way nice web site and items.

------------------