Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2001, 10:30 AM   #1
dominions
Elminster

Hi all!

Is it worth actually buying Icewind Dale?

The reason I ask is that I didn't particularly like the game engine on Baldur's Gate, which I beleive has been implemented in Icewind Dale, but found that the plot/story wasn't too bad.
The other thing is that I've heard it's a bit bug-ridden. Is this true?

Cheers!

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum

[This message has been edited by dominions (edited 06-06-2001).]
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 12:45 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

hi there stranger!

*smiles* you're asking a busload of IWD fanatics, who spend every waking moment playing the game or helping out other IWD fanatics, if it's worth it?

*lol* yah, it's worth it. if you get HoW at the same time, play them both together then its quadruple way worth it.

there *were* bugs, but there are patches. personally, i have first runs on both games and i haven't patched them, and i haven't encountered any problems whatsoever. well, other than the game is a real true tactic strainer. those monsters are tough old birds. and they come at you in a manner i can only liken to one of my worst nightmares. they also call their buds over to help them out. *eeek!*

if you need real convincing, run a couple of searches on the board. like maybe for "gameplay" or "bugs" or "problems" or "fun" and see what pops up. that way you can see what players have been saying about the game for the last year or so.

i just ran those searches and got lots of responses. i think you can learn a lot, on both sides of the coin. what better way than past and present players' opinions.

by the way, you will find game spoilers if you do this. while most of us are polite and add the word *SPOILER* to the title of the post, some don't. you may or may not mind, but i thot you should be forewarned.

iwd/how looks a lot like bg, as it is the same engine. but it's more of a tactics rpg than bg. there's a great story line and the ending, imho, is one of the best i have played in a long long time. however, unlike, bg, there is no party member interaction. its a wonderful dungeon crawl with a well written story. what more could you ask for?

okay. thats my 20 dollars worth (inflation, ya know?)

V***V

*races back to dorn's deep to protect her very, very young and inexperienced cleric....thinking with a sigh that usually it's the other way around. doesn't the cleric usually do the protecting?*

vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I believe it is worth the money. But as Vesselle said you should buy HoW as well.
There is a downloadable dungeon set coming out sometime in june from the folks that made the games. It is free and adds more to the game. It will make it more fun than before. I do like IWD/HoW very much.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote