Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Ever had a Lot of Nightmares?

From something?

I recently moved, and have had trouble adjusting/sleeping, so decided to buy some Sominex (no prescription needed, it's available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc.) to help me fall asleep, cause I gotta get sleep to go to work, etc.

Well, I've come to the conclusion these pills are giving me nightmares. No mention of it on the box, but dang, when I take them it isn't just one nightmare, but one after another after another after another, all different topics, absolutely out of control all night long all morning long until I just get the hell up. Horrible ones too, from people robbing me of my bank card, then attacking my loved ones in horrible ways and I just try to stop them during the attack but just can't seem to move all that well, to a person I've known from my past in a desperate financial situation coming over my house and trying to take valuables from me and my Christian Dad ended up having to kill him, and I had just a ton of guilt about it, to a dragon attacking me and I'm running from one building to another in some woods while it smashes them down and I run to another and another, to at one point the dragon turned to some guy with long hair who wanted me to teach him how to use a computer to play games, and I had to help him or else he'd turn back into a dragon and go back to chasing me, and he'd tie by hands to a wall in some wooden building until he was ready for me to teach him, etc. etc.

What the heck is in this stuff to do this?

Has anyone here ever had a situation where you had nightmares from medication or something else?

Sheesh I'd really like to be able to sleep, but that ain't really sleeping and it's taken me a few weeks of taking Sominex on and off to finally realize that indeed I really think it isn't me just adjusting to the new place, but the Sominex itself that is giving me these nightmares. I'm at the point where I'm just scared to even take another frikken pill ever again.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Ever had a Lot of Nightmares?

Well, the active ingredient in stuff like Sominex is promo, a.k.a. promethazine which can cause many side-effects in people. One of them is nightmares. The reason it's not on the box is because of the way it is marketed, to loophole around the promo side-effects and just list the FDA-approved ones for Sominex.

In a nutshell, a medicine that helps you sleep but can cause nightmares is not a good selling point for a product. If you are not allergic to it, try a small dose of Benadryl for sleeping troubles (like 1/4 teaspoon) as it will make you drowsy (don't get the non-drowsy formula) and that should do the trick. Or, try an herbal tea for sleeping, they do work as I have used them for insomnia too aswell as Benadryl from time to time. Just don't overdo it.

A good calcium supplement will also help you sleep better, providing a deeper, more restful sleep, such as coral calcium or calmac, and even milk (because of the calcium and the magnesium) will assist you somewhat with this. This is why kids are served warm milk before bedtime, although the calcium w/ magnesium supp. would do the job better. Avoid anything with B vitamins in it during the evening, as these will keep you awake. Of course, so will all stimulants, sugar, caffeine, nicotine and crazy people.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

As a footnote, Sominex in the USA contains Diphenhydramine rather than Promethazine, whilst the USA version of Benadryl also contains Diphenhydramine rather than Acrivastine or Cetirizine as in the two UK versions.
They're all working in more or less the same way, though some will be in your body longer than others. Also, exactly which side effects are more likely to manifest may vary.
Acrivastine and Cetirizine are a lot less sedative overall, though both of them might still do the job. Try not to drive a car on days after using any of these.

If you do want to use the Diphenhydramine to get some sleep, you might see if a lower dosage is still effective enough to sedate your brain without triggering nightmares in the same organ.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..very good points from both SW and Legolas,

I would look at several things: (and no, I'm not an expert)
What are you doing during the day, whether at work, or otherwise. Are there work stresses?
Are you playing any computer, or other games?
What are you watching on TV?
How much do you eat, after 7pm?

Call the drug store and ask if the product has been returned for that reason before. Call a few pharmacists.

We have dreams and sometimes nightmares all night. We usually only remember one or two, before we wake up. The drug maybe responsible for causing you to remember the dreams/nightmares, but what's causing the nightmares?

I would also look at why you're not sleeping properly.

I think it's similar to DS' situation. Look at the cause and deal with it that way. Drugs are just too risky.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

When I can't sleep from back pain some nights, I'll take a Benadryl to help me sleep--Benadryl is the same exact ingredient that is in the Tylenol PM..(The sleep inducing part).. It stays active in the body for 3-5 hours, then goes away, so it's considered a good 'get you to sleep' med.

Just one pill is all I need.

PS: Some sleep medicines contain Melatonin or Serotonin--both can put you in an altered state in which you can have vivid dreams or nightmares. IMO, try a Benadryl. I never have bad dreams with it.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Never heard of using Benedryl as a sleep aid. I just learned something!!

Usually a shot of Nyquil works for me...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Don't do the Benadryl thing for sleep if you are taking any other antihistamines, though.

EEF, LZ! That would NOT be a selling point for sominex, for sure. I've never taken it but have taken codeine several times when I've had bronchitis. No nightmares there but it sometimes doesn't get me to sleep/keep me there. AND of course it's prescription and controlled... so I guess it's not the best general 'sleep-aid'!

Have you tried a glass of wine or just exercising til you're really tired in the evening?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I mean, as far as two evils go, a small amount of alcohol is a better alternative to something like Sominex and even Benadryl. But really, the least destructive method would be an herbal tea for insomnia, tastes actually pretty good and doesn't leave you waking up with that groggy feeling you usually get when taking drugs.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I mean, as far as two evils go, a small amount of alcohol is a better alternative to something like Sominex and even Benadryl. But really, the least destructive method would be an herbal tea for insomnia, tastes actually pretty good and doesn't leave you waking up with that groggy feeling you usually get when taking drugs.
Sounds like a plan to me! I had a round of serious nightmares several years ago myself when I took Codeine after one of my surgeries. They were bad enough that I now list Codeine as one of my medical allergies so I don't get it again.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
and doesn't leave you waking up with that groggy feeling you usually get when taking drugs.
Sounds good to me, I hate taking nyquil. When I wake up, my head feels like a wet sandbag. Basically, I end up feeling like I haven't slept.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote