Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #31
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:
The Happier NOTE is that we are FREE to choose to come and go
Animal was not for at least 36 hours of his life, and for no reason.

And when I say that there must be a better way, I mean they could do their job in a better way.
[/QUOTE]It is easy to nitpick when peoples lives don't depend on how well you do your job.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #32
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
You are right, there must be a better way, but untill someone can invent it, there isn't.
It was invented thousands of years ago, it's called showing a little goddam respect to your fellow man![/QUOTE]I thought you were an atheist?

Again, you heard just one side of the story, perspective can change things radicly.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:48 AM   #33
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Quote:
On a happier note, if you really dislike US customs people that much....You are quite free not to visit [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well I hope people treat this comment with the contempt it deserves. Once you get past the ignorant prats at immigration America is one of the friendliest countries you could wish to visit. They have a few arseholes but what country doesn't, the vast majority of the people are very helpful and obliging.[/QUOTE]Treat it as you wish, the underlaying fact is still true.
As I said before, and before and before, you heard one side of a story.
It is very easy to nitpick and bitch and gripe and moan when your decisions are not the ones that have to gaurentee the safety of hundreds.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:51 AM   #34
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

A few people are getting a little dirty with their language.

Please clean up your mouths and proceed with the discussion.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:52 AM   #35
MagiK

People bitch and moan over how they are treated by officials everywhere, never having once considered the shite that those service people have to put up with, people yelling at them, calling them names and in general giving them hell just because they are trying to do their job. Most people have never had to do that kind of job or had people die because they let the wrong guy through. Just in case you have all forgotten, Boston is where TWO of the flights on 9/11 originated, the two that took out the world trade centers. Think about that for a bit.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #36
Melusine
Dracolisk

The lives of hundreds of people depend on the custom people being impolite and rude??
No one is saying they shouldn't check up on people and make sure there are no lunatics with bombs getting on planes. What we're saying is that they could at least be polite about it, and try to put someone at ease. After all, what happened to INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY?? As long as they are just checking and have no actual proof someone is a terrorist, they have no right to treat you like one. Harleyquinn, I wasn't going to post this here, but you have disabled the option of receiving Private Messages, so... I am sorry about what happened to you. I have a similar experience. And I agree that what happened to Animal would be even harder for me to deal with. It would be like a nightmare.

So don't come up with crap about safety. Safety isn't endangered by being nice to someone, putting them at ease, and apologising for all the misery they were put through.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #37
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Treat it as you wish, the underlaying fact is still true.
As I said before, and before and before, you heard one side of a story.
It is very easy to nitpick and bitch and gripe and moan when your decisions are not the ones that have to gaurentee the safety of hundreds.
But I am talking about my own experience of 12 visits to the US on holidays, and this was pre 9/11.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-20-2003, 10:00 AM   #38
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Post 9/11, I read a column by an American of Arab descent who said, in effect, go ahead and profile me, search me top to toe, as long as the airplane I am riding in doesn't blow up or is crashed into buildings killing me and other innocent people. That said, there is no excuse for rudeness.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:01 AM   #39
Melusine
Dracolisk

Incidentally, I'm actually agreeing with MagiK on one thing: I don't see where your expensive clothes come into this, Animal... Someone with bad intentions could wear expensive clothes just as easily as you do.
But I do agree that the overall appearance and impression you must have made was at least such that they could have treated you respectfully and apologised afterwards.
Again, I'm ALL FOR safety. I'm all for making sure dangerous idiots don't board planes. I mean... DOH, who isn't?? What I'm against though, is excusing every type of behaviour in its name. How the custom people treat someone, I reiterate, has no effect on how well their job of maintaining safety is done.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #40
MagiK

I do not beleive I ever once excused bad or rude behaviour. I was trying to (apparently failing) get accross that we have one side of a story here, and apparently all those who dislike my view point have traveled extensively to the US and had universally bad experiences. Sorry for that, guess you should stop coming since the trip is so bad...Wish I could change it but I can't.

For my own experience (extensive) traveling in and out of CONUS I have never once been harrassed or treated incourteously no matter how many metal detectors I set off with my shoulder. The only exceptions were Greece and Italy during the 80's when they were having regular terrorist bombings. Coming back to the US I never had a problem. I did however witness many people who did have problems, people who did not follow the rules and people who were rude or impatient. Personally I think it is all a matter of attitude and your own karma coming back to bite you in the behind. "Serenity Now"