Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 04:34 AM   #1
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

I've slowly grown to love these little difficulty enhancers. While I sometimes enjoy playing like the demi-god my character is supposed to be and swiftly crush everything in my path, I really need to be challenged and tested in order remain interested in a game. But at the same time I hate the concept of weakening yourself to make a game more challenging. The way I see it, at the most challenging setting a game has to offer, there are no legitimate methods I should have to avoid because they make the game too easy. I should always have to do my best and try out every option I got just to be able to beat the foe, or get out of the situation, in question. I should be able to play with the most powerful character I can legitimately scrap together, play with the most powerful items and use the best legitimate tactics and methods I have available - and still constantly be challenged.

Maybe the two aforementioned things in the title don't fulfill this craving of mine completely, I would suspect that it's certainly not the case with a party, but as a solo player - they do come damn close. Used to hate the Improved Irenicus Dungeon (Iliych Mod), but all it really did was force me to look for new options to solve the problem. No more simply rushing straight into a pack of dwarven warriors and start whacking away, have to use my potions carefully, employ hit'n'run tactics all the time and I constantly tap the pause button now.
No more challenging Adamantite Golems head on, oh no. Now I have to hit'n'run them too, getting hit by a single boulder of theirs usually zaps 60-70 hp straight away, and I'm level 13 at the moment! Had to retreat to a door way when I encountered a massive pack of Vampires, even going up against a single vampire could end with me being severely injured if I lingered too long in one spot.
Basically all, already semi-difficult fights, has been made so much harder that I actually have to think and make an effort to beat them. LOVE IT!

Tactics Mod
(This is a mod containing several small improvements which makes many individual fights much harder, for those of you who didn't know)
Old 11-25-2002, 04:50 AM   #2
dragon_lord
Elminster

Tactics is a very good bundle of mods. With the Improved Underwater City its now half a challenge to wipe out the underwater city! The Solaufien mod also makes some battles harder, the Shade Lord completely surprised me when he busted out some high level spells in sequencer.
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
dragon_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:06 AM   #3
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_lord:
Tactics is a very good bundle of mods. With the Improved Underwater City its now half a challenge to wipe out the underwater city! The Solaufien mod also makes some battles harder, the Shade Lord completely surprised me when he busted out some high level spells in sequencer.
Actually, the Sola mod only affects Solaufein now. Weimer moved all of the Improved Tougher battles from it to the Tactics mod. [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:03 PM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

I wholly agree with you, Rataxes - the Tactic Mod is truly a gift for BG2 veterans. It a whole new game, now (pun intended [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

Insane is mandatory.
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote