Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 10:22 AM   #31
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Gee, hasn't this turned into a mountain over a molehill.

Let me try and summarize - in one sentence - what Yorick is trying to say: judge people on their individual merits, NOT on where they come from.

I've noticed that Yorick's eloquence, while well-intentioned, often has the unfortunate effect of making people feel defensive, like they're being picked-on somehow. DON'T FEEL THAT WAY, as I don't see the intent of this post as being to start an argument.

At the end of the day we're all human beings, no matter what we look like, where we were born or what language we speak. We eat, sleep, walk, talk, laugh, cry, argue, and make up like everyone else.

I wasn't going to weigh into this discussion, but I can see it possibly going downhill and I want to make sure that doesn't happen, as I'm sure the LAST thing on Yorick's mind when he started this thread was to incite the very argument his thread is arguing against.

So keep a lid on those tempers, all of you.

Old 11-01-2002, 10:26 AM   #32
Kaltia
Jack Burton

oh, i'm only complaining about the football thugs
Yoricks eloquance? No wonder my limited lexicon didn't include said words...(pLEASE don't let Attalus see this. He'll outsmart me again won't he...daft old coot )

I have nothing against Americans. Aside from those ^**) citizens who funded the IRA. I mean, i got adopted by a slightly mad pair, didn't I?
Old 11-01-2002, 10:32 AM   #33
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

oh thanks kat *dry sarcastic tone* what DID you drag me into? now, not only that, you've offended my latest afavourite author(s) too [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #34
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I can tell you that most Americans I know love the British, to the point of just about deifying their royalty. There was an incredible amount of mourning over here when Princess Diana died, and a great deal of mourning over Queen Mum Elizabeth last year. HM Queen Elizabeth II has an incredible amount of holdings in land in the deep south (owns several plantations in Mississippi, actually), and the former duchess Sarah Ferguson (Fergie) visits the U.S. regularly and was even the parade marshall for the 1993 Adolphus/Niemen Marcus Children's Christmas Parade in downtown Dallas. She was invited to be parade marshall in honor of her children's stories about the little helicopter, and she accepted. The entire city turned out to see her.

So, yes, I think most Americans are very fond of the British, even if we have sort of a skewed perspective of what exactly *is* British!

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-01-2002, 10:48 AM   #35
Charean
Hathor

The Food Channel is a fun way to get more variety in your diet, and I love watching "Oliver's Twist" (English chef).

By far the best is IRON CHEF!! Too cool.

www.foodtv.com
Old 11-01-2002, 10:49 AM   #36
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The use of "American" and "America" rankles quite a few folks from other countries, judging by my overseas encounters. Some feel this is, again, a show of American arrogance. "What, you think you're the only country in America?" From what I've notice, these folks need to read the Monroe Doctrine so they understand that, for all intents and purposes, we OWN this hemisphere. (j/k lol ) Sheesh, folks, "American" is just a figure of speech, so chill. Besides, United Statesean is much too large and sounds quite silly. Plus, you could then say "What, you think you're the only united states on the planent - what about Estados Unidos Mexicos." So, then we'd be saying "United States of American" - how annoying.

Look, when you are confronted with someone from Europe who has a rankle with Americans, just remind them that we can't be bothered to even think about their little problems, country, or point of view. That always really irks them, I've found.

As for making fun of someone for nationality (I'll add and/or geography), it's perfectly fine in my view. People need an Us and a Them - we always have needed it and we always will. We can't tease people about their skin color, ethnicity, or religious heritage anymore - knocking out the vast majority of our good ways to identify Us vs. Them. So, the only thing that's left is geography and nationality. So, I say make fun of Kentuckians for being barefoot and pregnant, Minnesotans for talking so funny (a la Fargo), French for their infamous hygeine, British for their wonderful [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] food, Germans for their seriousness, and Americans for their arrogance and ignorance.

Without stereotypes, there would be just too many variables to address when confronting people and/or issues. What we really need are simple bite-size pieces of life and understanding, 'cause there's just much too much to think about. Which is why stereotypes are wonderful and good.

[ 11-01-2002, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #37
Kaltia
Jack Burton

If anyone says we brits are "quaint" I'll break yer ankles
Old 11-01-2002, 11:05 AM   #38
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Well, I can tell you that most Americans I know love the British, to the point of just about deifying their royalty.
Whereas most Brits don't give a shit about them! (Royalty, not Americans LOL)
Old 11-01-2002, 11:09 AM   #39
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Sledge hammers are good.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:11 AM   #40
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Sledge hammers are good.[/QUOTE]Already used the sledge hammers on the football hooligans
Epona, too true. Royal family, and? i was in a chat room for brits only when the Queen mother died. We were chatting about not much when one person came on and asked, "Don't you all care that the queen mother died?" Simoultaneosly, eighteen "no"'s [img]tongue.gif[/img]