Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-13-2001, 09:57 AM   #61
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Now, don't get me wrong here, this isn't a flame, but I don't see how you can think that somehow John Q. Public dictates what's reported on the t.v. and radio. I don't think I was ever asked what I'd like to hear or see. I watch what's presented and often find it lacking (part of the reason I don't bother to watch the news sometimes). I feel that they don't want us to know all that's going on "out there". It's the same in other countries...they only tell the general population what they want them to know. I think we're probably going to continue to disagree on this, though. Your other posts indicate that you are quite set on what you believe, which is okay, but leaves you with little room to consider the validity of what someone else has to say.

Love ya, though!

We live in a consumer society where consumer demand is catered for.

In Britain, the tabloids, of which we have more than any other country in the world, sell far more papers than do the more considered broadsheets (ie. the 'serious' papers). The left wing Guardian has, I believe, the smallest circulation of all. What's the message? That a large majority WANT so called mostly sex and celebrity based 'human interest' stories, with half a column of real news on page 10.

If the American people as a whole want better media reporting, can't you take action to get it? That's the whole point of a consumer society, or so I thought. The consumer calls the shots. (That's the way it's been sold to us, at all events... )

If you want wider and more thoughtful coverage and reporting, complain until you get it!!! Action is the only way to get change.

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 10:05 AM   #62
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
But (this pertaining to NEWS only - not programming), if all the news programs reported the WHOLE TRUTH, we'd have no choice but to hear it

Nice idea, but unworkable in practice.

There is no such thing as 'the whole truth' (at least as I see it - this is only my subjective opinion ) because all of us, (including tv station owners, shareholders, reporters, writers), and so on, have our own subjective views on what the 'truth' of any particular reality is.

Any reporting of events, will, necessarily, only show part of those events, and depending on the bias of the reporter, will show a certain 'truth'. One person's truth might be quite different to that of another person. So, left wing reporting and right wing reporting of the same event would be quite different, if not in video footage, in slant and interpretation.

TV channels do have agendas (ever heard of vested interests?) just like anyone else. Of course they do, they are privately owned.

Sivio Berlusconi is a case in point. He owns several Italian TV channels, and is the country's leader. Might reporting on those channels be a trifle biased? (Well, it is, big time. And people fall for it. That's how he got voted in, in spite of a record of corruption, shady deals and big time fat cattism. Money and media control - a potent combination!!)

But I do totally see your point. In the UK, we have access to some quite good international and national coverage of issues, most notably on the BBC's Radio 4, which goes very indepth.

But even the BBC, with their reputation for objective and thorough coverage, have their own agenda, and their own subjectivities. Communication without bias cannot, and does not, exist, by its very nature.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 10:30 AM   #63
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You guys have an interesting thread with differing points of view here - keep your cool and don't spoil it for yourselves, ok? I'd hate so see another great thread possibly go to waste. Remember to breathe, stand up, walk around, get a glass of water, punch a pillow , remember this is just a discussion forum. Don't use the internet as an excuse to do something that you wouldn't do in person. Pretend you're all sitting around a table in the pub debating this issue. Would you punch the other person out if you got frustrated?

Respect the other person's right to his/her point of view, even if you don't agree with it.

Back to the topic!
------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 10:32 AM   #64
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
No MajiK,
Some people just can't admit that they might be wrong about grouping the whole nation into that stereotype.
You and I know that these rich greedy whites exist but to say that the whole country operates by their standards is a severe miscalculation of the Americans view at the rest of the world on a whole and it is precisly why America haters exist on a world-wide level.

*sigh* you are right Moni and I would also like to submit that even the "greedy rich white guys" have hearts and have been known to "give" a little when disaster strikes. Just because people got rich, or were elected into office does not strip them of the charitable qualities that most people in this country seem to have. Even presidents cry when innocent people die, even CEO's can feel sorrow and pain for people in distress.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-13-2001, 10:39 AM   #65
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Goodness, how sweet. Someone who still believes in fairy stories.

Goodness, what a provocative turn of phrase. Like a faintly sputtering cigarette carelessly thrown into dry scrub in the heat of summer.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 10:40 AM   #66
Moni

Majik,
What you said is the absolute truth.
But you know, tecnically Dio is right in that he did not say his views refer to ALL Americans...I still think though to say that even "most" act out of pure greed is wrong. Most Repuplicans yes but most Americans? Nah!

Ease up Republicans...it was a joke.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-13-2001).]

Old 09-13-2001, 10:48 AM   #67
skywalker
Banned User

Moni!

Since I've started to frequent the General Discussions Forums I've noticed you have a quick and very sharp tongue (or typing fingers!).

Didn't say there is anything wrong with that, I'm just a little surprised!

Hugs to you, though! I will always be your friend!

Mark (Hang in there!)
Old 09-13-2001, 10:50 AM   #68
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
And that talk is exactly what alot of people from other countries take as americans being arrongant.

But if its true, is it still arrogant? Or is it simply stating a fact?
Man Dio...I remember you from MH, and you were a rational, intelligent speaker. Well...you are still intelligent. But the comments I've been reading in the last couple of days are making me lean towards the "If you dont like it so much, get the heck out" side of the fence. You're attitude is really out of hand.

------------------
"A tooth for a tooth, an eye for an eye, you get what you give, now die, die, die!"
Old 09-13-2001, 10:54 AM   #69
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Moni!

Since I've started to frequent the General Discussions Forums I've noticed you have a quick and very sharp tongue (or typing fingers!).

Didn't say there is anything wrong with that, I'm just a little surprised!

Hugs to you, though! I will always be your friend!

Mark (Hang in there!)
LOL Thank you Mark.

I am making a semi-conscious effort to monitor these uh, "fingers" but I just could not stop them from hitting "Submit Reply" on that last one...its too funny.

(I know it is as much a weakness as it is a strength at times and I have been/am making a conscious effort to find some middle ground on which I can better function on a social level here.)

Thank you for being my friend, Mark! I have been very touched these last few days by your defense of me and my opinions but I haven't quite known how to thank you.

If I can just let you know though, I do Thank You and your friendship here is much appreciated!

I will always be your friend.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-13-2001).]

Old 09-13-2001, 11:11 AM   #70
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I just feel IMO that the coverage and indignation of what happened would not have been on such a grandoise scale had it been anywhere BUT America. This is not American bashing but acts like this though on a lesser scale happen all the time and they barely get a mention. If it had happened in the middle east it would barely get a passing glance because the middle east is known for its terroist acts. But does that lessen the tradgedy of what happened? The people who died do not getg worldwide sympathy and 24 hour news coverage simply because they are in the wrong country?

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."