Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Okay, so we all know you can solo through BG, sampling all of the delights that the Sword Coast can offer, but what I want to know is this:

Can you solo through TotSC?
Have you solo'ed through TotSC?
Are you lying about soloing through TotSC?

I'm pretty sure someone with more courage than sense (like Six' [img]smile.gif[/img] ) has done it, but I'd like to know about strategies, ruses and ploys employed by the player in such an activity. Answers on a postcard gang.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Actually, I've never soloed at all, not really. I've started 2 Solo games:

1) Thief, I forget if he was a Human or an Elf. If Human, he was going to be Dualed to Mage at some point. He got pretty far into Chapter 3, but after killing his 30th Gnoll he got kinda fed up with Backstabbing. The only item that he didn't have was the Boots of Speed, which were waaaaay off in the distance, and would only have meant....faster Backstabbing.

2) I rolled an amazing 96 on a Half-Elven Conjurer, but trying to make one's way through the first few levels as a solo Mage with no Wands or summons is one hell of a pain in the ass. He finally crashed and burned against the Flesh Golems in the cave, stopped dead in his tracks by their accursed Magic Resistance.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I once got to chapter five with a solo conjurer. I'd already reached my cap and thought 'I can't get any more experience, I'm going to get my ass kicked in Durlag's Tower, and I'm sick of not being able to hold a sword and shield.' And that was that. Since then, I've always played with a party of six. A group is always stronger than an individual [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 11:04 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
crashed and burned against the Flesh Golems in the cave, stopped dead in his tracks by their accursed Magic Resistance.
BAH! To their MR I say.

Surely someone's been barmy enough to give it a go? Grungi's not entirely balanced - he might have given it a try at least. How about it mate? Have you tried to solo through TotSC?

Oh, what about InsaneBane? That guy's barking. C'mon Insane, spill the beans (proverbially).

[ 01-24-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #5
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I'm glad to see that you think highly of me, so as to NOT mention my name in the company of the likes of grungi. I'm not crazy enough to try and solo this game. I have a hard enough time with a full party.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I did a solo all the way with a conjurer. It was ages ago, so I can't remember the exact stats, but let me tell you, do NOT try it unless you have more than enough time on your hands and are not going to whack the screen at every reload. The amount of time I saw my hand turn to golden dust...brr.

Although I must be straight...I didn't kill Sarevok. That was the mage. I wore down Sarevok with summoned monsters, the amge killed him with fireballs aimed for me (don't you love flame resistance potions? )

I tried soloing a fighter, but it was too boring. Soloing a mage is MUCH easier in BG2 BTW.

EDIT: Oh, and I did do that ice island, but I attempted Durlag's and it was WAY too hard without a thief.

[ 01-24-2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Horatio ]
Old 01-24-2003, 04:10 PM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Thanks for that Horatio. I admire your prowess greatly, villain-killer extraordinaire!

The Ice Island is tough enough I would have thought. Must have been a right pain, judging from my very first attempt to start the game properly with a mage. Multiple reloads, even before I'd left Candlekeep. Bah, humbug. Still, I'd only just got BG and a mage was my very first character. That learned me.

All right then gang. How about the smallest party that you've completed the game with (mention whether it is with (-out) TotSC)? You've got no excuses on this one Keraptisdm, so tell us what you've got!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:46 PM   #8
Midget Gems

I'm sure lots of people have done the whole TOTSC with a solo character, I found it tough but possible. You can still read my posts on the subject from last year. I took a Fighter/Mage(Dual) to the end of the WW Island (which was very tough without resorting to cheesy tactics) and figured that Durlags would be too hard after that. So I did a little experiment - I took along my old mate Tiax to help me through with traps and healing, which wasn't too bad. With that experiance I was ready, so I loaded up the old game, got the XPcap remover, and was able to go through solo and on to the very end. I've still got my character file for a 500,000 XP Fighter/Illusionist at level 11. I don't think it would be much fun with the XPcap in place though. One regret is I didn't use a small person for my character - real Midget Gems can never be dual-class.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

You're a gem Midget! I'll have a search for the post.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Never tried it. Never going to try it.

Although I'd love to be "the most powerful person in the world", it takes too much time!