Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Anyone know of some natural/logical pesticides for a flea infestation?

So I am buying a second house from a friend of mine which I plan to work on and sell eventually. "Flip" it in a sense I guess.

Everything's in good order, needs some work, a paint job, a new back door, some random fixes here and there but it's a good, solid house with much charm. The only thing is the back yard is infested with fleas. To the point where when you walk in the garden they are suddenly stuck to your pants. The house is sold "as is" so it's up to me.

I have seen this issue once before, at a friends house during the summer, they were everywhere. They got an exterminator and it was all okay. But, despite the guy saying it was safe for animals, her dog died a week later with obvious poisoning symptoms. So I am very wary of trying that here and will keep it as a last resort because the buyer may have dogs also.

I need some info. on a few things here, if anyone can help.

1) Any natural or "lighter" methods to deal with this problem? I have heard that large basins of water will attract and drown them. Someone also mentioned apple cider vinegar as a safe method, mixed with water and sprayed around the garden. Somehow these things don't seem enough for such a problem as there is indeed an infestation.

2) I tried one of those gallon gun spray things from my local supermarket and it helped, but I don't think it curtailed the problem. Anyone recommend a good store-brand product? This is beyond simple spray cans btw.

3) I also wonder why the hell there is an infestation in the first place. It isn't overly hot atm, there are no dogs in the yard and haven't been any for about 9 months from what I am told. The grass isn't overly high (some parts are tho). I am wondering what brought them here and where do they breed/nest and why?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Anyone know of some natural/logical pesticides for a flea infestation?

You're asking the right questions. You have to find the source... whatever's prompting them to continue living there. Most likely, it's food. Animals tend to congregate around the stuff... humans, too

Treating with insecticides or whatever are just a temporary measure unless you get rid of the food source (assuming it's food that's keeping them there). You may be able to use stronger insecticides that kill not only fleas, but flea eggs (nits?) as well, and that may work for a while...

Of course, Googling for "how to get rid of fleas" brought up this link, which offers several natural recommendations, including good ol' soap and water (in abundance!), cider vinegar, and flea traps, bowls of soapy water with a small llight inside.

The comments are also an interesting read...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Anyone know of some natural/logical pesticides for a flea infestation?

Good link, looking it over now thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Get a dog, they'll go on him!?