Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I've been having problems playing NWN, when I run the game I can play for about 5 minutes before the graphics will start to act up, various things from the game locking up for a few seconds to nearly a minute, graphics just going nuts (looks like the screen has been scrambled) and finally the game crashes and if I'm playing online I get booted before or after the game crashes. I've also had the screen start flickering (in which case the game locks up and crashes). I recently installed Windows XP Pro, and reinstalled the game fresh, and haven't had it run correctly since I got it.

For NWN I've got all patches (except the CEP)
I'm using an NVIDEA GeForce4 TI 4200 (8x AGP) (128 MB) (most current drivers)
(800x600 res; varying levels of detail and special effects)
I've done a BIOS flash which corrected a problem I was having with Adobe Photoshop not running correctly. (I reinstalled the video drivers after doing the BIOS flash)
Since my sound card drivers caused some problems with Diablo 2 I made sure I had the most current drivers for that (Soundblaster Live! 5.1)

anyone have any suggestions? As far as I'm aware none of my other programs have had any issues (other than Photoshop, which was corrected) and in device manager none of my Hardware appears to have any problems.

[ 05-29-2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Sounds like overheating to me, have you moved your PC since it started happening? Or moved anything around in your PC?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I'm also using NWN with both expansion packs, HotU and SoU
Old 05-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

No, I haven't moved anything around, and didn't have any problems in Win2k.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

It sounds like a heating problem to me as well.

Maybe you should open up the case and check to make sure the card isn't overheating or the heatsink fan isn't full of dust.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Edd_y
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had a similar problem, and it was not a heating problem.

Make sure you get SP 2 (A clean install of XP had odd effects on NWN, so I upped it to SP 2), and patch it to the max. Also make sure you have DX 9C (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx)

Also if you are using the beta NWN patch that might be the problem, a lot of people have been having odd problems with it.

For your nVidia card, are you using your manufacturer’s drivers or the nVidia drivers?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I'm using a clean install of xp, got SP2, all patches for NWN I might have the beta patch... and I'll have to check about DX9C, I know I've got at least DX9B, and ran the DX troubleshooter, which didn't help much or show that anything was wrong.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

If it isn't overheating, might be your antivirus...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I really don't think it's overheating since I had absolutely no problems with Win2k, I'm using a corporate version of Norton AV I got from work (yes it's legal), same one I used under win2k, I'll try shutting it down next time I play feel like I need a kick in the crotch.

I am running DX9C (checked earlier while Brenna had her check-up), I will still need to check the patch version, and maybe go back if it's the beta version (or wait till it's out of beta, and get it)
Old 06-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Have you tried reverting your video card drivers to an earlier version? Sounds crazy, but this worked for me when I had similiar trouble with an Nvidia card.