Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-17-2005, 02:56 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Maybe I'm going about this party creation thing all wrong, trying to create a 6 person party this whole time.

What number of characters is best and why?

TIA

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Vernon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always go with 6 so i can get all i need.

[ 11-17-2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Vernon ]
Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I like 6, due to my caster-heavy party builds. However, any number is good. The only number that I'd stay away from would be five, since IMO you wind up with no noticeable xp benefit, at the cost of a party member.

Soloing is possible, as is duoing, and three person and four person parties are effective.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Although I haven't gotten very far into this game, I prefer six as well. I think that's how the game was intended to be played, and I like the versatility of six different guys.

Marty4: Care to enlighten us on (a)your party's makeup and (b)the tactics you use in a magic-heavy party? Thanks dude!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

I may be able to answer that question.

Heavy on spellbombers. One arcane caster is a wizard, the rest (probably 2-3) are sorcerors with a bit of paladin. For clerics, at least one is a Morninglord of Lathander. There will be one heavily buffed tank with magic resistance that serves to bunch up enemies for area-effect spell damage. There will be at most 2 levels of rogue in a single character, but many characters may start as rogues for the extra skill points. The characters will have plenty of mix-in classes (particularly wizard up to about lvl 5) to get the best defensive buffs (Mirror Image, Blur, Blink).
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I may be able to answer that question.

Heavy on spellbombers. One arcane caster is a wizard, the rest (probably 2-3) are sorcerors with a bit of paladin. For clerics, at least one is a Morninglord of Lathander. There will be one heavily buffed tank with magic resistance that serves to bunch up enemies for area-effect spell damage. There will be at most 2 levels of rogue in a single character, but many characters may start as rogues for the extra skill points. The characters will have plenty of mix-in classes (particularly wizard up to about lvl 5) to get the best defensive buffs (Mirror Image, Blur, Blink).
I think Aerich is stalking me [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Thats about right! I only take one rogue level on only one character, and the tank actually takes 12 mage levels for Tenser's, but other than that you outlined the party exactly.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #7
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Woah, that is a lot of spellpower there!

Is spellcasting more powerful in this game as compared to the other bioware games, or have you always loved it so much?

I know I have powergamed baldurs gate 1 and 2, and used a lot of tanks/archers to get the job done.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I'd say spellcasting is more powerful in this game than in it's counterparts. More AoE spells are available, allowing for huge amounts of bombardment, casting stats can be raised to huge levels to give many bonus spells, and IMHO the radius of the spells is easier to control. Also, give a spellcaster two or three luck-enhancing items, and watch him hit for MAX damage with each nuke! Having six horrid wiltings with guaranteed 250 damage to each enemy is a great way to burn through the game.

Also, in the late game and HoF, melee-type guys tend to be severely outclassed by the enemies.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

I think that as you progress thru the game, your tanks go from being your offensive weapon to being the bodyguards for the spellcasters. This is not necessarily a "bad thing". There are many battles where your party could be overrun without having some tanks to hold the line.

Also consider that often you need your tanks to finish off various enemies who are 99% dead and just need that last hit to go down. (Archers are great for this. "Look at that orc! He can barely stand! Here, have a few arrows, orc scum!")
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
I think that as you progress thru the game, your tanks go from being your offensive weapon to being the bodyguards for the spellcasters. This is not necessarily a "bad thing". There are many battles where your party could be overrun without having some tanks to hold the line.
Wonderful quote. If this is true, then this is the first bioware game to have d&d be the way it should be, at least IMHO.