Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Stuie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been lurking here for a few weeks as I worked my way through IWD/HOW/TotLM. I just finished TotLM (and subsequently HOW) and thought I'd share the somewhat easy and slightly amusing final battle.

Having slogged through the dungeons below the keep with many reloads along the way as I figured out how to deal with some of the nastier beasties, we end up in the throne room. Here the Luremaster basically tells us we have to kill him in order to leave. Conversation over, I hit the pause button, order my mage to cast Finger of Death, unpause, and (to my surprise) the Luremaster drops dead. TotLM over.

It's not supposed to be that easy, is it?

Then I returned to Lonelywood and the ultimate showdown with the dragon at the end of HOW - now that was a battle!
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Nice. Appreciate the free ride and continue...

And no, it's usually not that easy. The Luremaster darts around and generally has high saves. It is one of the tougher fights in the game if you can't knock off the LM right away, because of the number, location, and sheer damage-causing potential of the Luremaster's cronies.

Welcome to the forums, btw. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Stuie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the welcome, Aerich. I've appreciated having your posts to guide me (along with those by Noblenick, Azred, Krunchyfrogg, and too many others to remember right now). It's amazing how long some of you have been here - a definite testament to the longevity of the game.

As for that battle, I thought I was getting off easy. The fight with the dragon took me a full 30-40 minutes to complete, so the quick demise of the Luremaster seemed suspicious. I won't complain though...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Aw shucks. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Yeah, you got off easy, but some people have been lucky enough to stun Yuxonomei with a Chromatic Orb, too.

I've always found the LM fight harder than the dragon - at least with the dragon all of the enemies come from (more or less) the same direction. Against the LM, you have to face enemies coming from 180 degrees, and you have to split your attacks to disrupt casters, get archers into melee, and occupy the warriors at the same time.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
some people have been lucky enough to stun Yuxonomei with a Chromatic Orb, too.
You're just jealous. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Forum, Stuie! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

The Luremaster's untimely demise just goes to show that magic resistance is always better than a good saving throw. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

I always found Ms. I to be harder than either the Luremaster or Mr. B. Perception makes reality, I suppose.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Darned right I'm jealous!

It's not so much the Luremaster that has caused me problems, it is the difficulty of maintaining a good defensive posture on a wide front against his minions. I suppose I could switch up my tactics a little - a Mass Invisibility (or just a quick sidestep) followed by a defensive setup in a corner could alter the landscape of the fight in my favour.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I found the druid level 7 spell which summons the insects (forgot its name) to be useful against LM. They can absorb a lot of damage. Put them at the back to protect the spellcasters, and let the fighters fight at the front.

[ 02-10-2006, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 02-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
Stuie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well... my fight with "Mr. B" (as Azred called him) ended in a stalemate. He kept bouncing around the room "Almost Dead", and my five party members kept banging away at him while the Bard played them a song. After about 30 minutes of this I decided enough was enough.

Does B actually die eventually? My party is pretty light on the ranged weapons, so they actually had to run from place to place to keep the fight going. Guess that's a lesson learned on my part: build some archers next time.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

haha Stuie, would you happen to have Aurils Bane installed? i had the exact same problem when i had AB installed it "B" never dies in this case, uninstall => reinstall im thinking.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Stuie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No - I'm playing this through for the first time and only did the "official" install --> IWD/HOW/TotLM. I like playing games "as is" the first time, then apply mods as I feel warranted.

Guess I'll either try again or just skip it and load IWD2. I'm itching to try IWD2...