Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-10-2005, 04:24 AM   #11
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Building a "high tech" golem like that one isn't for dabblers or beginners, you need a certain expertise in the arcane arts to pull that off. So you have to be a certain minimum level in wizard or sorcerer to find the golem parts. I don't know the exact requirement, my guess is 10 or 15 or so, but 1 certainly doesn't cut it.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #12
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Pity. I thought there was just a class requirement, but not a level requirement. I would have liked to have had the golem, but I can accept the minimum level requirement. I have to admit it does make sense in terms of role playing that you would have to have a minimum level of sorcery or wizardry to recognize, use and put together the golem parts to construct & animate a golem. And with a charisma of 10 my monk-sorceror is not great as a sorceror. I only had charisma 10 when I first generated the character since I wanted as many points in strength, dexterity, constitution and wisdom without going negative in intelligence or charisma.

I don't regret the one level of sorcery, though, since it does get the monk the use magic item ability, and I particularly wanted it because I would like to combine the red dragon disciple prestige class with a monk.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #13
bakrus
The Magister

hmm when you`re fighting the maker, you should make advantage of the yellow teleporter, if you are low on hitpoints to recover.... and you should protect your self against hold , paralyze, stun or something like that. and then you should send some summoned units or your companions in a melee fight against him so that you can attack him from a safe distance.. I was a ranger(7)/wizard(4)/arcane archer(11) when i fought him, and it was diffeculte unthil i found my way to protect me against him... I also used a mighty powerful longbow called forever...

Is there anyone here that know if there is something that can help me gain more experience during the game like a tome or something.....?????
Old 06-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Bakrus,
I don't know of any tome that gives you more experience, but you are probably suffering from a 50% experience point penalty. If there is more than one experience level difference between your primary class and 2ndary class, you suffer a 50% reduction in the experience points gained. Humans don't suffer that penalty if they are only dual classed. However, since you have three classes, you are going to have the penalty, even if human, since there are 7 levels between the arcane archer and the wizard. Plus, I think arcane archers have to be elven or half-elf, too, so you probably had the 50% experience point penalty as soon as you dual classed, unless you alternated between which class you leveled up.

You could increase your experience points by having no or only one henchmen, since experience is divided. Complete every quest, kill every monster, etc, the usual.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #15
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

J'aran's post got me curious about the requirements to find the golem parts and make the golem, so I fired up Leto. I added a bunch of experience points and tried different levels of sorceror. Five levels in sorceror is the minimum to be able to find the golem parts. You also have to have those five levels before you enter the first dungeon level, but not the Isle of the Maker. I assume it is the same for wizards, though I didn't try leveling in wizardry. I have also heard that a rogue or bard with sufficiently high use magic item skill could use the golem machine activator, though I don't know if they would find the golem parts.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:01 AM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Now I am thinking my sorcerer will also have a difficult time against the maker... argh.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:21 AM   #17
bakrus
The Magister

witchdoctor,
i was aware of the experience penalty, and thats why it`s so hard to get around in the game. cause when i meet a boss or something, i have to try 15 t0 20 times before i can defeat him... and i need my companions to distract the one i`am fighting.... and i think i have completed the most quest in the game but still.. like in baldurs gate and icewind dale ..there were always 1-3 tomes or something that could increase my experience... i`m in the eight of the nine hells now in HotU .... and i always ends up with killing people down there.... like joker in the tavern or what i should call it. and there is this demonic creature who runs the mining thing in the hells.. and i`m not sure if should kill him or what... cause he is the last thing that i can earn experience on here , but he sells real good equipments.. which i cannot afford so i don`t really know what to do.. i did kill him but i don`t know if i will be able to return here... is it worth killing him??? hehe this might be an irritating question for you but still , please tell me what to do.? i`m twisting my head here..... or do you have other tips i should be aware of later in the game..??
Old 06-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Bakrus,

Sorry for answering with stuff you already knew. Unfortunately, I still don't know of any tomes or magic tarot decks that can increase your experience points.

I still haven't hit the frozen hell you are having trouble with, so I can't offer much advice yet. Plus, your ranger/wizard/arcane is probably a different character to play than my monk with a level of sorcery. Monks, though they might find it difficult to go head to head with a high level fighter or barbarian, are still very good melee characters, plus they have great saving throws and magic resistence. I generally don't worry about traps since I nearly always make my reflex save. Poison just plain doesn't work against my monk. Magic and spells used against me frequently fail too. I rarely if ever use ranged weapons, since the monk's class specific speed bonuses, along with permanent haste (from equiped items) make it easy to just run in and close with opponents before they can react. So any advice about how to fight or deal with quests might not be relevent to your character. You have 4 levels of wizard; have you tried using scrolls or wands of summoning to create canon fodder, then standing back and hitting the boss with your (arcane) archery while the creatures distract the boss? Does the ranger have good animal empathy skill? I have heard that talking to some of the random animals (dogs, rats, cows, bats etc) found will sometimes result in extra quests or else they will give info about a different or easier way to complete a plot quest.

As for the best way to get the most experience points out of every encounter, I would download some of the walkthroughs for HOTU and read them. They will be all Spoiler, needless to say, but they may help with maximizing experience points.

Money has not been a problem for the monk, since I have been able to sell nearly all the weapons and armor I find and don't need to buy any. I also played the same character from NWN OC, then through SOU and into HOTU, so I had quite a pile of gold accumulated. I have read that there is a use for gold where you are, other than buying items, so don't spend it all yet.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #19
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I beat the maker after a couple of goes using a Ranger/Arcane Archer (With a wizard level thrown in to activate the prestige class).

Basically I used greater spell mantle on myself, spell protection on Valen and then just hammered away in Melee after casting greater spell breach on the lil' bugger. Didn't find it too hard really. Just had deekin sat around singing his merry song [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #20
bakrus
The Magister

witchdoctor,
well i just found out that the monks are very hard to fight against... cause i met grimgnaw and his companions in hell! and i`m so pist off for not taking him down!.... i have tried over 40 times now and i still wonder how to beat him... or should i say his two freakin spell casters!! ... i`m level 7 with the wizared class now... and my arcane archer is still useful, with the explosive arrow attack feat... and my difficulty level is on D&d rules.. and i tried to lower it to easy, but still can`t beat him!.... damn , I could really need some help now....?..

when using animal empathy i can get some tips from some animals about some hidden stash or secret doors... but it wasn`t so damn awesome like i hoped for... and when i`m in combat i always summons creatures to fight for me ... i`ve got up to 7 creature under my comand once( .. with deekin and the other henchman..)but now i have run out of summoning scrolls.... i got a shapeshift into a dragon skill but it`s week against physical attacks.....
and before i finished my time on the plane of toril and went to hell, i had almost 900000gold, but now i have 27000,,, cause i have fully upgraded my weapons...
i have a skill level of 18 in armor and weapon craft but have not got a chance to create some cool things.. even if i`ve used mithril ore .. but then its only got more expensive or have a concentration bonus...
does someone know something more about this feat??? to get more use of it or something?? ...