Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #21
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Italy and Spain are the best nations in cycling anno 2004, no contest whatsoever.
Although the spanish were a bit of a disappointment this year in the Tour de France, I almost totally agree with this statement, maybe I would add France also, just because of the sheer number of cyclists. [/QUOTE]Actually, I think there are more professional cyclists in Italy and Spain as well, judging by the number of Trade Team I and II teams they've got. The French are a good third in all this, but it may just seem that there are so many of them because Jean-Marie Leblanc always decides to invite practically every single French team to the Tour de France.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:39 AM   #22
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well the proof is in the medals. That's what the games are for.
As said the Euro nations may have more cyclists, but then they have more PEOPLE. For now, due to the current olympic situation, Australia are being hailed by cycling critics/experts/media as the best cycling nation. The question at the top of the topic was rhetorical. A bit of one upmanship I know. Sorry. We're down in the arse end of the world so it's nice to beat the "old world" at it's own game(s).

What I'm really bummed is New Zealand going 1,2 in the triathlon, which is an amazing test of an athlete. Swim, cycle, run. Astounding.

"I don't care as long as we beat New Zealand!"

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-28-2004, 07:18 AM   #23
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Actually, I think there are more professional cyclists in Italy and Spain as well, judging by the number of Trade Team I and II teams they've got. The French are a good third in all this, but it may just seem that there are so many of them because Jean-Marie Leblanc always decides to invite practically every single French team to the Tour de France.
I agree. This year there were also some french teams which did not do anything. He could have easily invited an italian or a spanish team, who would have been able to at least win a stage.

Why doesn't he ever invite a hungarian team? Then we could show the world...
Old 08-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #24
Grojlach
Zartan

[quote]Originally posted by dplax:
Quote:
[qb] Why doesn't he ever invite a hungarian team? Then we could show the world...
Because there are none - or at least no professional ones.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:39 PM   #25
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Well the proof is in the medals. That's what the games are for.
As said the Euro nations may have more cyclists, but then they have more PEOPLE. For now, due to the current olympic situation, Australia are being hailed by cycling critics/experts/media as the best cycling nation. The question at the top of the topic was rhetorical. A bit of one upmanship I know. Sorry. We're down in the arse end of the world so it's nice to beat the "old world" at it's own game(s).
Well, you *do* know that the Olympic road race was 'just another race' in an overly full season? Most of them were in full non-Olympics competition only mere days after the road race, couldn't care less that 'they' were having 'their' asses kicked on the Velodrome in the meantime... Most professional 'old european' cyclists just don't really care much for the velodrome anymore. There's no money in it, hardly any publicity or glory - even the world championships hardly cause a ripple in its press coverage. It's sad, but the days that cyclists spent their time between the road and the velodrome equally is way back in the fifties. Heck, in most countries (like in mine), most participants are younger cyclists, hoping that their accomplishments on the velodrome help them to get noticed by pro-team scouts.

I'm not trying to play down the Aussies' achievements (it's still quite impressive [img]smile.gif[/img] ), just trying to put things into perspective. Riding on the velodrome is simply wholly different from riding on the road, and as a (road) cycling fan, I can do nothing but frown when someone only looks at the Olympics results to judge that the Aussies 'are the best cycling nation in the world', while one should really look at an entire season and at all disciplines (also including cyclo-cross, mountainbike) instead to base such a bold statement on something.
Now, if you would have said 'Australia are the most succesful cycling nation on the Velodrome, as proven at the Olympics', then I might have agreed with you.

[ 08-28-2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 08-28-2004, 06:41 PM   #26
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Because there are none - or at least no professional ones. [/QB][/QUOTE]Oh but there are. There is even every year a Tour of Hungary, where among several nationalities there are hungarian teams who compete. And we even had a rider in the Tour de France last year. Not too bad for a country with no traditions in cycling.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:26 PM   #27
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Because there are none - or at least no professional ones. [/QUOTE]Oh but there are. There is even every year a Tour of Hungary, where among several nationalities there are hungarian teams who compete. And we even had a rider in the Tour de France last year. Not too bad for a country with no traditions in cycling. [/QB][/QUOTE]Just checked my files, there is indeed one semi-professional Hungarian team called Icet Torobaliat (surprisingly also featuring a large chunk of Italian riders) in the lowest professional division, Trade Team III (lower than TTIII is pretty much club-related riding). Pity you have to be at least a Trade Team I (among the thirty best teams in the world) to be even considered for a Tour de France invite; and even then only 20-ish teams will be invited.
And we all know Laszlo Bodrogi, right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-28-2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 08-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #28
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
And we all know Laszlo Bodrogi, right? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Having heard hungarian reporters comment the Tour de France you can't forget that name. Whenever there is a time trial they hope him to win, and even on other stages when they see him they get ecstatic.

[ 08-28-2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]