Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 06:27 PM   #1
Ashram
Welcomed New User

Can two handed beat dual wielding in terms of damage output in a period of say 10 rounds. Has/can anyone measure this?

Assume 18/00 str, max prof.slots and optimal weapon combo - you decide which. And of course all other factors like other eq. must be the same when you switch weapons
Old 03-14-2001, 06:34 PM   #2
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

well if he is fully proficiant two handed and he has full master of the weapond then two weaponds make more damage than one. But if your loking that heavy one time blow dammage then a two-handed would win.
Old 03-14-2001, 06:42 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you have two points in two handed weapons you will have a double chance to a make a critical hit which is very nice.

I don't really know what is the best, but I like to believe that dualwielding is better.

I think I have to do some thinking on that one. I have read 4 courses in Statistics, so I think I know how to do it, but I am a bit lazy. I am having a test on Stocastic processes on friday, so maybe this is a good excercise. Anyway, I let you know if I actually do it and give you some real answers.
Old 03-14-2001, 06:47 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

There are often special bonuses and abilities attach to weapon, whether they are single handed or not, one way to maximize the benefit is to dual wield (e.g. Crom Faeyr's STR bonuses and Celestial Fury's stunning ability), this is of course under the assumption that you have at least 2 slots (preferable 3) in the 2 weapon style and preferable at least mastery in your weapon-type style. It is a trade off between speed vs damage, 2-handed sword have higher damage potential while duel wield always seems to get more attacks per round. One benefit of using two handed sword is that your character can also use bows and x-bows, and dual wield cannot use range weapon (except when your character is a fighter/mage and can cast Melf's Minute Meteors, you get both the meteors' damages and the weapon on your off hand...imagine Crom Faeyr....Heehee ). Ok, I am rambling off topic....better stop.....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-15-2001, 03:13 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's some info that Glorick the Half Orc posted here about damage output by kensai comparing dual wield with two handed.

Quote:
The whole purpose of a Kensai is to deal out more damage than you take. A LOT more. Your THACO is much better than a regular fighter, and the Kai ability allows you to do MAXIMUM damage with a weapon for the duration of kai (about 6 seconds real time).

Now, with dual wield and all your profs in Long Sword using Kai:
At level 8, 3 attacks per round: 1d8 + 7 (str) = 15 (max) * 3 (attack per round) = 45 HPs of damage per round for 2 (3?) rounds. No other character can deal out anywhere near this damage.

With a two-handed sword and two-handed wield, a level 8 Kensai will do:
(1d10 + 7) * 2 = 34 HPs of damage per round. Now the most powerful weapons in the game are two-handed swords, and some of them have amazing speed factors. At the end of the game, your kensai could be doing:
((1d12) + 10 (girdle) + 4 (sword bonus)) * 4 = 104 HPs of damage per round!!!! With a thaco of -11 (in other words, you automatically hit AC -10), you will kill almost anything solo in two rounds of kai.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-15-2001, 10:06 AM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Heh, I remember that Memnoch, but what about the kensai/thief and two katanas at level 9/13 and kai:

((1d10)+7(girdle of giant strength)+2(kensai bonus))*4(attacks per round with grand mastery patch) = 19*4=76 damage per round

If he/she backstabs, then:
19*5 (backstab)+3*19 (the rest of round)= 8*19 = 152 damage per round

This is of course if he hits every hit. with the celestial fury you will get additional 5*3+2*3 = 21 damage per round.
If the offhand is a +2 katana, then you get additional 2 damage. All in all 175 damage in a round.

The kensai/thief has a thaco of 4 or so with a +1 weapon, but -1 (unsure) when hidden in shadow so he/she hits pretty often. This is why I like the kensai/thief.

Sorry this was a bit offtopic.

Old 03-15-2001, 10:12 AM   #7
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Heh, I remember that Memnoch, but what about the kensai/thief and two katanas at level 9/13 and kai:

((1d10)+7(girdle of giant strength)+2(kensai bonus))*4(attacks per round with grand mastery patch) = 19*4=76 damage per round

This is of course if he hits every hit. with the celestial fury you will get additional 5*3+2*3 = 21 damage per round.
If the offhand is a +2 katana, then you get additional 2 damage. All in all 175 damage in a round.

The kensai/thief has a thaco of 4 or so with a +1 weapon, but -1 (unsure) when hidden in shadow so he/she hits pretty often. This is why I like the kensai/thief.

Old 03-15-2001, 10:13 AM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Old 03-15-2001, 05:37 PM   #9
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oops, I mean a thaco of 1 at level 13, and I forgot the weapon bonus you when you are grandmaster which is +3 damage. This means the kensai/thief can deal out 175+3*5 (backstab)+3*3 = 199 damage with kai in one round.

199 damage! That is quite a lot.

If the kensai/thief make a critical hit with his backstab, then he can come up to enormous amount of damage in one single blow. My kensai/thief backstabbed 256 damage with one blow. If you use Crom Faeyr at your offhand, then you can backstab even more damage.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:39 PM   #10
Maestro_v69
Elite Waterdeep Guard

All I am saying is.....whoa. Damn. Whew. Someone better have Protection from Magic Weapons handy!