Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

i think it can be really really good and worthy of being called perfect(if you read what all is new and kewl, youll understand )
what do you think?
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Hi, uss. Yes, I believe that it is the best game for role-playing by far. Just look at all the excited discussion around you on who's going to be what. I love it. and I haven't played a lick.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
DeSoya
Manshoon

I think that NWN could approach perfectishness because of the total all around involvment. With a game like EverQrak you only played. The decisions were made by verant. With NWN you can be the DM as well as the player. Woo Woo

DeSoya
Old 05-21-2002, 12:54 AM   #4
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

I have doubts about NWN, strong doubts...

-They had to split the work between the client, server, builder and solo campain. This means the solo campain will probably be shorter than BG or BG2. Will it be more open-ended with a lot of choices for every situation? really not sure.

-There is no terrain elevation (except 'messas', as seen in the editor). Booh! We're back to the silver boxes golden age.

-They no longer keep the character vault on a secure server. I guess it was a business choice, battle.net must cost a fortune. That means cheating will be fairly easy and slowly addressed (what's the use to patch if everyone has the character vault code ready to be hacked?). Since i'm mostly single-player, this isn't a big issue for me.

On the bright side, the editor is very easy to use. We might see some good modules out for NWN before the MW ones are out.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:37 PM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

on a possitive note, you may NEVER play the same game twice. i mean, in multi-player, with a dm and his world, its not linear like bg, bg2, iwd, etc.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 10:08 AM   #6
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by flibulzbuth:
I have doubts about NWN, strong doubts...

-They had to split the work between the client, server, builder and solo campain. This means the solo campain will probably be shorter than BG or BG2. Will it be more open-ended with a lot of choices for every situation? really not sure..
This doesn't bother me because the amount of player made campaigns will be enormous, which will stretch the hours way beyond BG1, BG2, or both combined.

Quote:
-There is no terrain elevation (except 'messas', as seen in the editor). Booh! We're back to the silver boxes golden age.
This bothered me as well...but I guess we can't have everything (this time around anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] ) What bothered me more was no diagonals and no circular rooms, but that is because of the way the toolset was designed...oh well.

Quote:
-They no longer keep the character vault on a secure server. I guess it was a business choice, battle.net must cost a fortune. That means cheating will be fairly easy and slowly addressed (what's the use to patch if everyone has the character vault code ready to be hacked?). Since i'm mostly single-player, this isn't a big issue for me.
Doesn't matter to me, this isn't a Diablo type of game where the object is to get better items than everyone else; the fun of the game is supposed to be playing it. The official vault would have been easy to get around anyway.

Quote:
-On the bright side, the editor is very easy to use. We might see some good modules out for NWN before the MW ones are out.
The editor is SO easy to use...I was very impressed. I have the editors from both Morrowind and Dungeon Siege and they were a pain to use, NWN blows them away. There will be dungeons out there probably within a couple of days of release of the game. [img]smile.gif[/img]

So...my final thought...it should be interesting to see how the game plays, if it is fun it will be a BIG hit.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 03:25 PM   #7
uss
20th Level Warrior

oh, poor Black Isle.. they have so much pressure on them.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:20 AM   #8
Aar-Daneel
Dungeon Master

hey,

have read the posts and would like to say a few things [img]smile.gif[/img]
(best done in a comparison of comment so i'll quote a message [img]smile.gif[/img]

---------------------

have doubts about NWN, strong doubts...

-They had to split the work between the client, server, builder and solo campain. This means the solo campain will probably be shorter than BG or BG2. Will it be more open-ended with a lot of choices for every situation? really not sure.

--------------------------

first yeah i wasn't too sure about these points either(mainly cause i wasn't sure what they meant, server? Client? duh?)however all of these seem really easy to use and will be explained as far as i can understand it goes like this: module created in editor,(if you're dming)the module is then opened within the dmclient)to play and to walk around the map to check structure)(i think i'm with myself sofar ,lol)which is firsted opened from within the server program, although the server software absolutely neccessary for the dmclient an actual net connection isn't!.
because of the structure of the game as it turns out all mp modules have the capability for sp play (you just may not survive that long [img]smile.gif[/img] )(because the game is more or less put together in a way that it really only concentrates on you playing one char at a time(yes thers henchmen and stuff but the way i see it is that that will HELP to play mp modules
blackisle estimated that the size of the bg2 plot was appro 200 hrs, bioware say nwn's sp module is appro 60-80 waayyy shorter(but it's gonna look better,play better,and at least feel if there is interaction between you and your char [img]smile.gif[/img] and as for open endedness YES it's REALLY only confined by the builders imagination(you can literally change virtially anything item,npc,etc.. in anyway either through options or scripting (i think i'll let some on else do the hard work [img]smile.gif[/img] )

-------------

--------------

sorry no idea what a messa is (halflife comes to mind(sorry wandering there) : )i assume it to be the method by which the terrain is raise i.e. tiles and not slopes ? while this IS the case (and i'm a bit funny about that myself) these are gonna be fully 3d generatated tiles and not "pixel boxes" i.e 2d [img]smile.gif[/img] it'll have a WAAYY better look and feel [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] don't be too bummed out [img]smile.gif[/img]

---------------

----------------

yeah, the whole vault thing caused major concern (mountain out of a molehill IMHO [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] )as was pointed out not really that big a problem for sp players (like myself F@*!*& 56k connection, lol)however for mp'ers then there are acouple of "workarounds" (not perfect admittedly) if you're a casual player and don't mind "acting a role" as opposed to "living your own char" then on many of the persistant worlds that'll be running the dm'll have a char of a type that you like to play already as a template (and a few magic items) that can be played on the hop so to speak and if you really want to play your char, as it turns out going by file sizes the size of the char file may not be so big as to be prohibitive to send ahead of time (maybe 2 mb,then again i could be WAAYY out, lol, don't quote !!!).

---------------

On the bright side, the editor is very easy to use. We might see some good modules out for NWN before the MW ones are out.

----------------

absolutely haveing played extensively with the toolset(27 hrs to download worth every nanosec : ) (had a rough mod in 10 MINS from starting how's that for easy and i ain't no einstein.
and if you've seen the movies of e3 on nwn.stratics.com that you'll notice that thei nterface on the retail editor looks so much easier ,lol.
and as for seeing some good mods and modules appear fast, well they are already here in abundance (we don't even have the game yet, WOW!)

in summation: it's here and it's computer roleplaying for real!

this is WAAYYY too long thanks for reading!
[IMG] [url]\"http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif</a> [/IMG]<br />a meticulous planner may get results, but they miss out on all the chaos
Aar-Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 06:52 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Great post. I was getting anxious about all this talk about the beta, but if it's really that far along, then maybe they can make June 22.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:48 AM   #10
Aar-Daneel
Dungeon Master

i thought beta testing was quite a long thing i don't keep up with these kind of things, but the last game i heard of being beta'd (admittedly was a few years ago! and i've no idea if this is excessive? post if you know!)took about 6 months.........

i know that they HAVE "pretty much" stated that it's a summer 2002 release that means between now and september , however someone who wrote an article about e3 (a big one!! oh er missus.)for stratics, crap at names!!,it's on the site [img]smile.gif[/img] wrote that he'd managed for buttonhole one of the devs (see, told you i was crap at names ,lol.) down to a date of 16 june (?) however later refuted by the Gaidermeister when he said that that was as good a date as ANY on the calender (i.e pick a card, any card....)

but getting back to your original point [img]smile.gif[/img]

(taking into account that i have no sense of scale in the matter of a beta test)i feel it'd be a darn'd mir'cle mister, if it was released at ANY time in June, simply by virtue of the hype at the mo, i would have thought at least end of July, first week in august.

[IMG] [url]\"http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif</a> [/IMG]<br />a meticulous planner may get results, but they miss out on all the chaos
Aar-Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote