Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2001, 07:00 AM   #11
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Neb: That's kind've the point. The engine limits any actual RPing, but, heh, you can have a plus five hammer! Wow! Look at all the shiny goodies!
Old 06-02-2001, 08:17 AM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

"The engine limits any actual RPing" Notice that it's called an RPG not a 3rd person shooter, maybe you SHOULDN'T make an RPG with and engine that "limits any actual RP'ing", but why didn't they just make BG2 more like Planescape:Torment? Which was more of a true RP and less of a Monty Haul RP, I think the best weapon in that was a +4 weapon, and there were only 1 or 2 of those, I think the most money I ever got in Planescape was 20k, and in Planescape you REALLY needed to use your healing items, not like BG2 which I have completed with only 1 dead char and without using any healing stuff.
Old 06-02-2001, 04:30 PM   #13
Volourn
Manshoon

Actually bg2 is a rpg. it is what is commonly referred to a monty haul campaign. I have,unfortunately, played in that type in pnp. BG2 has just as much rp in it as PS:T believe it or not.
Old 06-02-2001, 04:35 PM   #14
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yes Baldur's gate is a magical treasure trove, normally in a D&D game, getting a powerful weapon like a holy avenger sword or the hammer you'd have to take on major quests and such to get those, and you wouldn't get them until you were well into your 20's in power. They wouldn't be something you just find lying around in a dungeon or have a dwarf smith put together for you.
Plus the experience in BG2 is out of whack. The experience you gain for doing things is easily 2x as much as it should be, so you can level your characters to 295,000 experience early in the game, same as BG1. WHY? I don't know i didn't make the rules up. I maxxed out my levels before I even reached the Underdark, I was just crusing the rest of the game gathering up the powerful items and finishing the quests.
As for gold, wasn't too bad. I had about 100k gold during the main parts of the game, paying some for scrolls, etc. I didn't have alot left at the end. SO there wasn't alot of gold about, but there were too many powerful magic items. Heck I had a bag of holding full of them I just collected. All the special swords, daggers, etc. Tons of rings, etc.

But lastly, you have to remember that A video game like BG2 has to emcompass a smaller area and less time than a major D&D game universe. When I played D&D in the early days, I reached level 21 with my mage, but that was over about 5 or more years of playing with my friends, I didn't go from level 7 to level 21 in a few weeks as with BG2. So you have to include alot more items and such in the smaller game to make up for what you would normally be doing.
Its a video game, the rules have to be adjusted.
If they had dropped the experience in the game by half, and didn't have such powerful weapons like the equalizer/wave/avenger/etc in the game, where such weapons like the Celestial fury and Hammer of THunderbolts were the quest artifact items instead of the more powerful +5 weapons, it would have been alot of fun.
But I think they got the job done right? Look at all the people running about gathering up the +5 holy avenger swords and such .
Old 06-03-2001, 12:38 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

"If dragons had 100k gold you wouldn't have to do any side quests" not to get the money for Gaelan Bayle no, but maybe for the magical items, to this you will say: "But I can just buy the magical stuff in the Adventurers Mart", however, some of the information/advice in the DMG is that you should definately NOT have magical item shops.