Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Elfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I went through the Slums (Area0400) and left. Now that I'm up to Chhapter 5, I cannot get back. The area screen shows loading for about 1/2 to 2/3rds then my computer freezes. I tried using the Console but it tells me that "AR0400" is not a valid area. Area 0400 is supposed to be the slums according to my information. Could it be that the code changes after you've been there? Help, I need to get back in order to continue my quests.
Elfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The area file for the Slums has become corrupted, causing your computer to lock up when it tries to read it. Your best bet is to completely uninstall and reinstall the game. Don't worry, your Savegames will still be intact.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Maybe rather than reinstalling the entire game, you could try copying the AR file from your CD and see if that helps?
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

actually, it's best if you go directly into your bg2-soa/cache/data folder and clear out EVERYTHING in it. do the same with the bg2-soa/temp folder.

reboot.
the game will recreate new maps now.

this is a very old problem, since the first day bg2 was released and is recommended procedure on the bioware/tech support forums.

V***V
Old 12-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
actually, it's best if you go directly into your bg2-soa/cache/data folder and clear out EVERYTHING in it. do the same with the bg2-soa/temp folder.

reboot.
I've heard this as a solution to a lot of problems, from big ones (see above) to problems like a game lagging a little bit.

Is there any danger in clearing your cache folder?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

No. Cache works by storing files on HDD while they are likely to be used, instead of getting them from the CD which is always slower, even if the disc is already spun up.

So if you clear the cache, the game will simply fetch the files from their original locations to replace them.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Clear the cache about once a month, yhour game will run smoother.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
Elfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've tried all the above suggestions to no avail. Don't know what else to try. I have two separate sets of the game and tried using the appropriate disc from them both. I've also started two other games with the same result. After I leave the slums, I can't get back. What next?
Elfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:12 AM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

A few questions...

* Do you have any mods installed?

* Have you tried uninstalling and reloading the entire game, while keeping the saved games?

It definitely sounds like you have some sort of corrupted file, perhaps one of the 2DA files.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

maybe your disc is screwed, and you should buy a new copy of the game.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote