Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Any opinions on xbox one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Thief looked okay but the game seemed kind of limited to me. The environment is really reactive, and the graphics are really nice - it's a great blend of Victorian and Steampunk. Okay I can sneak around and pickpocket people and steal stuff and there's some neat ways to solve problems, but is that it? Hopefully there is an over-arcing story that the designers have put in place because if not this game is going to be boring really fast. I haven't heard about any plans for an editor on this one. Will be released for PC, Xbox 1 and PS4 but not the earlier consoles.

Yeah, I am scared for the reboot of Thief.. When I heard that the voice actor for the original Garrett was 'let go' because he can't do the motion capture--they say its easier to mo-cap and sync the voices.. give me a break.. that sucks.. there is only ONE Garrett voice. (And he did the voice of Benny as well).. so that sucks..

I too worry it'll all be about graphics and not story.. dumbed down etc.. the original Thief 1 and 2 games had MASSIVE levels, and you didn't have to load to go into every building.. thats just good coding.. Looking Glass was amazing...

I hope the ambient music is the same as the first 2.. and ROPE arrows.. hope the AI for the guards is as good or better than T1 and 2... I mean, you would think it should be right?? being 2013 and all..

I won't get my hopes up TOO much.. but hope its good.. I mean, we saw what happened with Sim City's reboot.. total shit...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

lol... Microsoft must have been crapping bricks, because they released a press statement saying they will not have the heavy DRM now (As Blind P said), and that you can now buy used games..

DRM to a point is ok.. but going overboard is just going to anger folks, and they will go elsewhere. (PS4). So MS is like "oh noes... were sorry.. we were wrong".

I use the old xbox 360 as a door stop.. and kick it every time I enter the room. It gives me a warm feeling inside. lol, jk.. Donna uses it for netflix.. I use ps3.. but mainly PC..

I mean, the Xbox 360's menu GUI is shockingly bad. and limited.. and half the time she turns it on, it should auto log into xbox live gold, but it gives a network error.. but get this--If I unplug the network cable for a few seconds, and plug it back in, it works--sometimes have to do it 3-4 times!!!! wth? probably about to be bricked.. who cares.. its all set up perfectly, ports opened, correct network settings.. I just don't care much, as we don't use it much..

It's a joke when xbox makes you have to pay for xbox gold JUST to log into Netflix.. lol PS3 doesn't. (won't be renewing it ever again). And even netflix is lame now.. mostly full of crap no ones ever heard of.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Any opinions on xbox one?

Someone in marketing over at Microsoft projected sales numbers upon release through the holiday season this year and said "we need to make a change or we will suffer". Thankfully, the project manager for Xbox One said "okay--change it".

Still no consoles here but we will need to upgrade the PC at some point. The one Noty uses is now 4 years old--has it really been that long?--and works great but it probably won't properly run newer games.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
......... but it probably won't properly run newer games.
I've been reading a LOT about how many of the 2014 (and later) games are going to be using engines which are ONLY supported by 64 bit OS.

Analysts predicted that PS3 sales would never surpass Xbox 360 sales. OOPS. PS3 surpassed Xbox sales in 2013 at roughly 77 million units. Microsoft dug themselves a hole for sure but this isn't going to be a sprint but a marathon. Unlike the PS3 which had a totally fubared launch in 2006, Microsoft has recovered BEFORE the Xbox 1 launched.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Any opinions on xbox one?

Wasn't there some problem with a recent PS3 update that bricked many people's units?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #16
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
Wasn't there some problem with a recent PS3 update that bricked many people's units?
Not fully bricked but it caused people alot of heart ache because they had to do alot of extra work to unbreak the update. Not positive but I also heard it was only an issue for certain models with the 500gb HDD.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I use Win7 64 bit, with 18 gigs ram, and its fine.. (ram is so cheap now--even the nice 1600 ram) and need it for 3DS Max.. And I went with the 64 bit mainly because I knew it was going there anyway, and that 3DS Max has a 64 bit option, and its more stable and faster at rendering.

My 3D City I've been working on for 4 years now getting big... 4 million polys.. had to break the city into 'rows' in separate files as I work on fleshing the city out.. The City will be basically the backdrop for my comics.. One for 'Durty' Bug, and one for Intruders: On Earth. Just think of the City as a movie set.. I have details down to the stop lights--actual real world designs that work and are on timers.. crazy stuff. I made nearly EVERY street sign and construction sign (US versions) early on too.

Last building I made was a cool looking bank.. part of the downtown area--- here's a render of it (just the building, not imported into the city yet, below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clwbank_023a.jpg (1.03 MB, 4 views)