Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Facebook crowned king of the web

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopS...ng_467486.html

Just wanting to get an idea of how many other IWers don't give a toss about facebook? Make some noise.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Facebook crowned king of the web

No time for those social sites personally, although it is a huge step up from the epileptic neon mess that is Myspace. Myspace quickly fell to FB in the last year or so - everyone seems to be on it now. Isn't it interesting how the E-tides shift?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

Ugh, I had Facebook when I was in college to help me market events and such. Didn't like it when it stopped being a college-only thing. Liked it even less when family members started adding me. And no, I do not want to join your mafia, and no I will NOT go into that dark alley with the vampire. The last straw for me was the flagrant disregard for users' privacy, so I left and haven't looked back.

"But how do you organize a party?"
"I CALL people. Remember that?"

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Meh. I've had an account for about 4 months, got tired of getting invites from family/friends over and over. After the initial novelty wore off, I'm kinda losing interest. I'll keep it for a while since there's a family reunion in the works, but if it disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

2-3 weeks ago a friend put a link on his wall to an article about how FB was sharing user info with other websites. A few days later I was surfing CNN and there was his recommendation, with his FB username and photo proudly displayed.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've had an account for a year and a half. Resisted for a long time.

Got sucked into the online hell that is Mafia Wars. Learned quickly to prevent all that crap from spilling over into anyone's feeds. Left MW when I realized that the game's foundation was constantly shifting, and that while the strategy would remain the same (get the highest value equipment), the pieces would shift on a moment's notice (today's greatest is tomorrow's day-old bread... pretty useless).

I now have absolutely no game stuff on my FB account... pretty healthy feeling.

I can tell you that many non-technical people appear to be enthralled with it... as well as the young. My 13-year-old daughter got her FB account on her birthday, and I think it's close to an obsession. Or whatever's after obsession.

For her and her generation, it's IM and chat taken to a whole new level.

There's some promise there... for sure.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I haven't had any major issues with it. And yes Myspace is a horrendous mess.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Eww, Facebook. So many people use it that I would prefer to forget existed while I was at home. I don't need to learn about their lives in my spare time.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I use it to find and keep up with old friends. I've found many classmates and/or friends from high school that I've not heard from in years. Also finally managed to find my fraternity Big Brother after more than 20 years.

I like finding out what these people are doing now. Some have gone into things I would never imagined (like a former classmate who spent 20 years in the military and now runs his own PR firm). Others have followed a predictable path. I have several cousins that live too far away to visit, but I can glance at their FB page to see how they and their family are doing. A couple of them post WAY too many pics of their kids, IMO, but that is their business. I don't have any pics of my boys on FB.

As a future teacher, I have to be VERY careful about what I put on my FB page, so I normally don't put anything at all. I might update my status once every 3-4 months if I do anything, but that is about it. I normally just look to see what other people are doing.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Facebook is something I check when I have an interview candidate and I want to see how big of a public ass he made of himself during college. Otherwise I have absolutely no use for it.

I have this thing called a contact list. If I want to ask how you are, I'll email or call you. Not that complicated.

This need to constantly communicate, get attention, and be focused upon -- either my generation was too early for that, or maybe just me in particular. If no one out there is thinking about me right now, that is great, and doesn't bother me one iota.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Facebook is something I check when I have an interview candidate and I want to see how big of a public ass he made of himself during college. Otherwise I have absolutely no use for it.

I have this thing called a contact list. If I want to ask how you are, I'll email or call you. Not that complicated.

This need to constantly communicate, get attention, and be focused upon -- either my generation was too early for that, or maybe just me in particular. If no one out there is thinking about me right now, that is great, and doesn't bother me one iota.
Your not the only one, I'm apaprently part of this generation that is all about broadcasting when they put cheese on their toast or "just did the washing".

I use admittedly use facebook to find old friends, but I would like to think I have never made any completely useless posts for attention.

I just don't get it.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote