Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2001, 08:08 PM   #21
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

HOLY COW!!
When I left Saturday there were only 2 replies. Man you folks have been busy.
Thank you all for the responses. I am primarily a PnP gamer. Spent last night with one of the guys who developed "Top Secret" getting spanked by bad guys.
Well actually we did our fair share of spanking.

A short list...
3E D&D...
2E AD&D
TORG
Star Wars
D20 Star Wars
Master Book... Bloodshadows, Indiana Jones, Tank Girl
Amber: Diceless Roleplaying
Highlander...a playtested game from the Kansas City RPG Guild. Outstanding if you can find it.
Space Opera
Traveller
Twilight 2000
Stormbringer
Call of Cthulhu
Bushido
ShatterZone
Star Trek
Psi World
Buck Rodgers XXV C
Chill
Aftermath
Villians and Vigilatntes
Marvel Superheros
and a couple more I cannea remember

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 10:55 PM   #22
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

I used to play middle earth, Darksun, Ravenloft and Forgotten Realms back in the days, I think I liked Middle Earth best cause I had such a cool characther.

My fave CRPG is of course Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. Nothing even comes close, although Tormenet is just as good but in a league of it's own
Old 06-10-2001, 11:09 PM   #23
BladeMaster

My favorite CRPGs are the Infintiy Engine games.

For PnP

I have played AD&D, Star Wars, Fantasy Warhammer, Rifts, Top Secret, Vampire The Masqurade, Babylon 5, Battletech and Star Trek. I love AD&D the best.

------------------
Do you TIRE of MORTAL LIFE so much that you SEEK to end it at the HANDS of

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

Old 06-10-2001, 11:21 PM   #24
Bleys
Dungeon Master

Well for PnP
My favourite is Shadowrun, followed by Amber. ADnD/DnD comes in a third.
I love Rifts as a setting, but I don't like the system.
I have played a lot of other PnPs.
One I might be adding is Unknown Armies, an occult horror game with some original twists to the world (which meant when I played, I really new nothing about the world).

As for CRPG
My all time favourite is Daggerfall, nothing beats this game for size and freedom. I also love most of Square stuff, Crono Trigger or FF6 being the greatest. There are many others I have played, it's hard to say which ones I like the best.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:06 AM   #25
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, Wulfere! I used to LOVE Traveler...played that back in my Fraternity days (yes, I was a "frat-rat", TKE); and of course played PnP AD&D. Sort of "dropped the ball" during the late 80's-early 90's while in grad school, but picked up on the CRPG thing then. I haven't found anyone trustworthy or mature enough around this area worthwile gaming with, so I pretty well stick to CRPG now.

I'm a 1st-person oriented gamer, for the most part (Wizardry, Wizards & Warriors, Might & Magic, The Elder Scrolls series, etc.) but I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate II and enjoying it. I've played many a game in my gaming "career", and am always open to new ones. I don't really have favorites...to claim that is to limit oneself, IMO.

Cheers,

Oh! almost forgot...the kind of games I DON'T like are any post-modern cyberpunk nihilistic garbage that seems more and more prevalent nowadays...and I SURE as heck hate that gunk mixed into my normal medieval or fantasy gaming scenario. Sorry if I step on any toes on that one...it's something I feel STRONGLY about...or against, better.

-Sazerac

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 03:52 AM   #26
Lord Shield

Here are my favese, including shortcomings:
DC Heroes RPG (not the new one) - hero based games, not easy to die unless characters are stupid. Drawback: encourages munchkins, although me and my own players avoided that. Also, some rules are open to interpretation, such as Magic
Game not published anymore
Hercules & Xena (also not published) - Fate Points make it too easy to take down boss villains. Otherwise, nice system. Converts neatly into D&D 3E
I had to make my own magic rules for it, though
D&D 3E - makes for very flexible, customisable characters. Drawbacks - lots of modifier tables for actions
Runequest - excellent system, loved the feel of it
Downside: too easy to die. One crit and you're dead

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-11-2001, 09:37 AM   #27
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Looking at responses I guess that most people who play PnP try as much as they can. I think everytime me or one of my friends found a new game, we'd buy, play a few times then leave. It would take something _really_ special to keep going back. I've never found a single game I'm entirely happy with though - even my personal favourites have major problems.

The other thing that p****s me off is new editions/revisions. Just when you're settling into a game, someone comes up with some new rules. Generally OK, but I usually find a major imbalance is caused in an attempt to update the world/rules.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:45 PM   #28
Mr-Eiz
Drow Warrior

Quote:
My favorites are: Baldurs Gate 2 and Wizards and Warriors.

Pnp anything about DRAGONLANCE

------------------
hunger need brain food
...................Hum you got brain for me??

Hi Ho Hi Ho
It's of to play we go

Eiz

[This message has been edited by Mr-Eiz (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 08:37 PM   #29
Tancred
White Dragon

I'm playing Atlas Games' 'Ars Magica' atm, and it's the most cheerful, adaptable system for fans of spellcasting there is, I think. Plus, the 'Mythical Europe' setting is a clever mix of the historical (Knights Templar, Christianity) and the fantastical (faeries, demons, spirits). Fantastic PnP RPG. Anyone else given Ars a go?

Tancred
Old 06-11-2001, 10:14 PM   #30
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

My favorite game is BG2, hands down. I like the story, but I am most fascinated with the character interactions. The strongholds are also good. The way they change depending on PC and group make-up has made it one of the most replayable games I have ever enjoyed. I literally have played it all the way through 7 times and partially through another 5 times.

Can't wait for BG2-TOB!

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 06-11-2001).]