Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I have been playing fantasy (American) football for 2 years now. I've been doing so at NFL.com, because it was one of the only ones that did not charge anything. It really didn't have any prizes for winning, which was one of the reasons I liked it. I really did not want to win prizes; I just enjoyed playing the game, and it helps to spark additional interest in the season and the games. Thus, I have pretty much stuck to the free game offered at NFL.com, while avoiding paying the $15.00 (the absolute minimum) to $60.00 (absolutely ridiculous) to have a team on a pay site. They really do not offer anything at the pay site worth paying for (they put some extra prizes out there, but not much else, so not terribly interested). I understand that they have to host the thing, and that costs, but at least I could go to the NFL's site, where it made sense for them to do it for free (brings in interest from the fans).

That was, of course, until this season. Looking forward to this coming season, I go to their website, click to get a team, and am presented with the fee schedule ($14.95 per team). I have no problem with them charging, if they feel they can make the money. However, that pretty much leaves me without a site, unless I choose to cough up the cash. I've been thinking about that, but when I consider how little time I actually put into playing the game (hop on Saturday, set up my roster for the next day, check back on Monday to see the stats), I almost think it would be better to save that $15.00 to invest towards a game that I can own and play anytime (ex. Temple of Elemental Evil, SoU, etc.). Why give the money to someone who is just going to crunch the numbers for a few months?

I know I am probably coming off as miserly, but I do find it a little annoying that I have searched around the websites, and see all of these advertisements shouting "FREE FANTASY FOOTBALL" then when you click on the site it is not free (the first 15 trades are free, but they charge you otherwise). I guess this post is more to vent about it than anything. I guess to some degree I've resigned myself to not playing this year. I had fun while it lasted, at least.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 07-25-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
GokuZool
Lord Ao

American football!? The title of this thread is very misleading
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Have you tried Yahoo fantasy leagues ? I'm in a fantasy baseball league from Yahoo, and it's still free. I know they also have football leagues there.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:41 AM   #4
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
Unless the person reading it is American.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:43 AM   #5
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Have you tried Yahoo fantasy leagues ? I'm in a fantasy baseball league from Yahoo, and it's still free. I know they also have football leagues there.
What are the names of your teams?
Old 07-25-2003, 04:46 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
In the AL it's Barflies, and in NL it's Guzzlers.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:58 AM   #7
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Okay, I thought your name was mentioned but I didn't know for sure if it was you. I'm the Hurricanes and Older but not wiser. It's a lot of fun, I kinda got back into baseball this year because of the fantasy league. You're about to pass me up in the NL, I won't mention the AL.

Subliminal message:
~~~~~~~~~~give me Pedro~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 07-25-2003, 09:10 AM   #8
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBobTheDestoyer:
quote:
Unless the person reading it is American. [/QUOTE]Bah! [img]tongue.gif[/img] They don't call football/soccer the world game for nothing.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBobTheDestoyer:
Okay, I thought your name was mentioned but I didn't know for sure if it was you. I'm the Hurricanes and Older but not wiser. It's a lot of fun, I kinda got back into baseball this year because of the fantasy league. You're about to pass me up in the NL, I won't mention the AL.

Subliminal message:
~~~~~~~~~~give me Pedro~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOL Yeah, better not. I'm in last place. I'm doing pretty well in the NL though. I'm in third right now, but have been in second place for quite some time.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
My apologies, no intention to mislead on my part. I should have put the American part of it in the title, instead of the first post.

Then again, many Americans tend to view American football as the football, much to the annoyance of pretty much the rest of the planet. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I actually checked out the Yahoo site at first, saw the $24.95 price for one team, and left. I went back after reading your post, and noticed that the price was for the "plus" game (the one with all of the bells and whistles). Cool, found a new home to play fantasy football at! Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin