Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
Blackguardspwnyou06
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ive been playin NWN for two months and i beat it.... twice so idecide to go back to my roleplaying roots and stated a solo fighter/mage in IWD in easthaven there is the lil squirrel that the kids all gather around being the chaotic evil man i am i decide to attack the squirrel........WHY DOSENT IT TAKE DAMAGE!!!!???
If you stand to reason <br />you\'re in the game <br />the rules might be elusive <br />but our pieces are the same <br />and you know if one goes down we all go down as well <br />the balance is precarious as anyone can tell <br />this world\'s going to hell <br /><br />Don\'t allow <br />this mythologic hopeful monster to exact its price <br />Kyoto now! <br />We can\'t do nothing and I think someone else will make it right
Blackguardspwnyou06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Welcome to IW, Blackguard [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Shame on you for attacking the poor defenseless squirrel.

The thing is practically impossible to kill, for some strange reason. It's got huge magic resistance, and seems to have 100% resistance to physical damage. I don't know why. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

I've never bothered to try it, but the only guy I know of that managed to kill it did it with an imported character that had Power Word: Kill.

It is worth no XP, has no valuables, and is totally unrelated to any quests. Maybe the designers were having a bit of fun.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

IIRC, you could get 1 hp for killing them in Baldur's Gate. The IWD folks don't play that way apparently
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:34 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

It might be worth 1 XP - I read that info about a year ago, and I may have made a mistake about the XP value.

You'll understand that it wasn't exactly a key detail.

Edit: found a different thread on the topic - apparently it can be killed by Cloudkill or Disintegrate as well. Some weapons may have got through as well.

Give The Invincible Squirrel a read. It's funny. Before you get all excited about the new quest, read the Squirrel Quest thread.

An old Irorworks SuperSquirrel thread came to my attention as well.

[ 12-06-2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 12-06-2004, 05:55 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Well, whaddyaknow, I re-install IWD, browse the board a bit for solutions to puzzles I had forgotten over the years and don't feel like figuring out all over again, and lo and behold, someone promptly digs up an old thread of mine.

The squirrel thingy remains a mystery to this day, though. One of life's most enigmatic whatsamacallits, one could say.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Otto
The Magister

I think the squirrel is a reference to the "magic squirrel" quest in BG1.

For those unaquainted with BG, the game has both a lot of "easter eggs" (hidden items), and dozens of squirrels throughout the various wilderness areas. The first official BG strategy guide stated that one of these squirrels carried a +1 luckstone (giving the equipped player +1 to hit & saves). This news made its way to the discussion boards, and players, looking for this "magical squirrel", scoured the vast wilderness areas, killing all the squirrels in the game trying to find the one with the luckstone. However, no luckstone was ever found. It was either a hoax, or an easter egg that was intended but never implemented.

I think that maybe the IWD developers included this "invincible" squirrel as a reference to BG, hoping that players would try to find some way of killing it, maybe thinking it had some reward attached.

Also, one of the "concerned parent" outcries with BG was that players were going around hacking up children. IWD made all the children invincible to avoid any similar complaints.

[ 12-06-2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Otto ]
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
I think the squirrel is a reference to the "magic squirrel" quest in BG1.

For those unaquainted with BG, the game has both a lot of "easter eggs" (hidden items), and dozens of squirrels throughout the various wilderness areas. The first official BG strategy guide stated that one of these squirrels carried a +1 luckstone (giving the equipped player +1 to hit & saves). This news made its way to the discussion boards, and players, looking for this "magical squirrel", scoured the vast wilderness areas, killing all the squirrels in the game trying to find the one with the luckstone. However, no luckstone was ever found. It was either a hoax, or an easter egg that was intended but never implemented.

The easter egg for the squirrel is part of the DSotSC expansion, if you don't have it installed your not going to find the talking squirrel.

I think that maybe the IWD developers included this "invincible" squirrel as a reference to BG, hoping that players would try to find some way of killing it, maybe thinking it had some reward attached.

The squirrel can be killed the second time you meet him in Easthaven, upon his death you are swampped by 100 of his friends, very neat.

Also, one of the "concerned parent" outcries with BG was that players were going around hacking up children. IWD made all the children invincible to avoid any similar complaints.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Otto
The Magister

[quote]Originally posted by pritchke:
Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
[qb]

The easter egg for the squirrel is part of the DSotSC expansion, if you don't have it installed your not going to find the talking squirrel.
Perhaps, I don't really know. If it is true, it was done only after the hoax had already perpetuated for several years. It would be sort of like how they included the "Vampiric Sword" quest with ToSC, which was also a long-standing hoax in the early BG discussion threads.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #9
Blackguardspwnyou06
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well i guess i have to wait until i beat the game again to kill the furry bugger but speaking of ivincible what gives with that damned hermit outside of the avalanche? i never tried killing him before until last night and he teleports!
If you stand to reason <br />you\'re in the game <br />the rules might be elusive <br />but our pieces are the same <br />and you know if one goes down we all go down as well <br />the balance is precarious as anyone can tell <br />this world\'s going to hell <br /><br />Don\'t allow <br />this mythologic hopeful monster to exact its price <br />Kyoto now! <br />We can\'t do nothing and I think someone else will make it right
Blackguardspwnyou06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

He's also got great magic resistance. Seriously, did you think an unmighty hermit could survive and prosper in the Spine of the World?

He also teleports if you try to pick his pockets.