Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yup and considering the nests are often near the house or shed or fence....sorry, no blow torches or gasoline methods in MY yard! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Not to mention that the ground ones we seem to have are in or near garden areas which wouldn't do too well with gasoline or torching.

Hope your fog method worked, Larry!
Old 07-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The reason for doing 'em at night is that they tend to be dormant then. Personally, I buy cans of hornet/wasp killer and spray from a comfortable distance [img]smile.gif[/img]

One thing I will mention: Not one of these suggestions of using gasoline and/or fire as a solution mentioned having a fire extinguisher handy that will work on gasoline (or whatever source you use). If I were to use fire, I'd assume that the fire would somehow come back to nail me, and I'd want something (as well as someone!) to be able to put me out in case I somehow became a human torch. Or to put out the grass, etc., if the fire started to burn out of control.

Glad you've got 'em down and hopefully under control, Larry [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You people living in New York and New Jersey should know that you've likely violated your local oil spill laws, including not only by releasing gasoline into the ground but also failing to call the spill hotline and report your release. In North Carolina you avoided this result by not using gasoline, but I'd hate to see the list of chemicals in that fogger. Hot shot probably would have been better.

Call me if and when you guys get a letter from the agency.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #14
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

lol timber! chances are though because the extimantor would use worse chemicals than what are released in the fogger, he will not get in trouble, but then again, I live here in Arkansas where it is still legal to spill oil or antifreeze without a report being made
Old 07-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
quietman1920

Timber, I never said gasoline. Not that 'Raid Bee and Wasp' is any cleaner for the environment, mind you. But it is different from the Old Days.

Growing up in the Old Days, I remember wasps had stupidly built a nest in a hole in a neighbors tree. I saw him mix a bucket of cement with a trowl and then call his son over. He took a pack of firecrackers off his son. lit them off his cigar, threw them in the hole, and then slapped a huge shovel full of wet cement over the hole. he held the back of the shovel against the fresh cement, supporting it, until the muffled pops & bangs stopped.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:22 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, I was referring to Albromor's post, as well as Seraph's.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:33 PM   #17
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

Larry, just man it up and do the job properly, brother! Go hire yourself one of these from the friendly neighbourhood ranger surplus store.. As the car commercial once said.. Light it up, baby!

[ 07-30-2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Asphyxiate ]
Old 07-30-2004, 08:24 PM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Asphyxiate:
Larry, just man it up and do the job properly, brother! Go hire yourself one of these from the friendly neighbourhood ranger surplus store.. As the car commercial once said.. Light it up, baby!
Lol! Yeah...Don't I wish! That would not only take care of the bees, but my pesky neighbors as well...all in one fell swoop!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:59 PM   #19
spydar

I have a wasp nest under my front step, which makes things interesting to say the least. any suggestions for that one???
Old 07-31-2004, 12:41 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, the pleasures of living in a condo...