Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Why We Have Lawyers

1. January 2000. Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amok inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering that the misbehaving tyke was Ms. Robertson's son.

2. June 1998. Nineteen-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over Carl's hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice that someone was at the wheel of the car whose hubcap he was trying to steal.

3. October 1998. Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was exiting a house he had finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up as the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door between the garage and the house had locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, so Mr.Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. This upset Mr.Dickson, so he sued the homeowner's insurance company, claiming the situation had caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars and change.

4. October 1999. Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced-in yard. Mr. Williams was also in the yard. The award was less than the amount sought because the jury felt that the dog may have been provoked by Mr. Williams, who, at the time, was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

5. May 2000. A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

6. December 1997. Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out two front teeth. This occurred when Ms. Walton was trying to sneak out through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

[ 08-16-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Arvon ]

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Are you talking about these Urban Legends? The ones that Snopes.com say never happened?

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.htm

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 08-16-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
Are you talking about these Urban Legends? The ones that Snopes.com say never happened?

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.htm
I have found Snopes to be inaccurate! These are just some funnies.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I should try some of those here to make lots of money.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I should try some of those here to make lots of money.
"Land of the free, and home of the (easily sued) braaave..."

-FIN
Old 08-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #6
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Reminds me of the lady who sued McDonald's because hot coffee scalded her legs while she was driving and holding the hot coffee between her thighs. So won her case.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 08-16-2003, 09:31 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Reminds me of the lady who sued McDonald's because hot coffee scalded her legs while she was driving and holding the hot coffee between her thighs. So won her case.
Hear of that obese guy that's sueing Mccy D's and KFC for making him too fat? (he ate nothing but fast food for days and months even, like it's their fault )
Old 08-16-2003, 10:28 PM   #8
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Ahh, good old Snopes. Relentless in the pursuit for the truth.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #9
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
I have found Snopes to be inaccurate!
Do you have a specific example?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:09 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm curious, Arvon, about where you've found Snopes to be inaccurate. I haven't found anything yet, aside from the Lost Legends

Clue me in, por favor. I'm always wanting to be educated.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.