Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 07:11 AM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil Lil:

A "small minority of the population" in a small town is pretty much everyone, even you know that.
Maybe it's just us backward NC folks, but I'm pretty sure a "small minority of the population" in a small town is NOT pretty much everyone. "Pretty much everyone" would be a majority of the population. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2003, 07:29 AM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
quote:

A "small minority of the population" in a small town is pretty much everyone, even you know that.
Maybe it's just us backward NC folks, but I'm pretty sure a "small minority of the population" in a small town is NOT pretty much everyone. "Pretty much everyone" would be a majority of the population. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Touche!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-02-2003, 08:57 AM   #13
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
and just how do you know that Eric Rudolph committed these crimes?
Does the name Richard Jewell ring a bell?
The police were following standard procedure with Richard Jewell. Case histories have shown that - when a person reports a "suspicious package/backpack/etc" - in a crowded area, there is a strong possibility THAT person is either the perpetrator or an accomplice.

According to the former Head of Security for the Olympics, they had literally found dozens of abandoned backpacks by the time this one was left. So it seemed a little suspicious that one of their security guards would suddenly think there was something strange about this particular one.

Of course, it turned out that Richard Jewell just either had good instincts or had seen something to make him believe something was different about that particular knapsack. It certainly does not "make up" for what he went through for 3 months...but when enough evidence was gathered to eliminate Richard Jewell as a suspect, the authorities DID publicly announce that he had been cleared of all charges.

AFA Rudolph's guilt or innocence is concerned, the police and F.B.I. have a large amount of forensic evidence, but most of it is circumstantial. They found the exact same nails used in the Atlanta bombs in a storage unit used by Rudolph. They found a receipt which led them to a hardware store in a nearby town where they confirmed Rudolph had purchased the nails. Unfortunately, these nails are rather common...so it will be up to the prosecution to PROVE that Rudolph bought these nails for the express purpose of placing them inside a bombs...and to further prove that he DID use some of those same nails in the bombs used in Atlanta and Birmingham.

That really shouldn't be overly difficult, though. The F.B.I. and local police did find all the components for making the bombs in Rudolph's residence or storage facility. The defense could possibly explain away one or two of these components individually (such as the nails), but it will be difficult to explain why one person has ALL the components necessary to construct the same type of bomb that was used in all the attacks.

For the record, Rudolph faces a total of 6 charges of using an explosive device to intentionally cause harm, injury or death (don't know the precise terminology of the charge, but this is a close paraphrase). It is most likely that he will be transferred to Atlanta to stand trial there, since they have a larger amount of forensic evidence. I also saw a report on CNN that said there may be a way for him to be tried for the Birmingham attack at the same time and allow evidence from there to be entered into the Atlanta trial. This would also give Emily Lyons - the nurse that was permanently disabled by the bomb in Birmingham - to face her accused attacker. She will be a very strong witness for the prosecution.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I grew up in a small rural town surrounded by thickly wooded areas and I live in one right now so I know very well the "small town mentality" of everyone knowing who and where everyone else is as well as thier business even when they are in hiding in the woods (which from the looks of Rudoplh, he wasn't very often ).

So even if the full population wasn't "informed" as to Rudolph's whereabouts and movements, people there knew and they let him remain "in hiding" for years! That's downright shameful and as good as the capture of Rudoplh was, you shouldn't try to sell Murphy, NC as something its not.

Fanatical communities exist in the U.S., it is a fact that cannot be denied. The town I grew up in, although twice the size of Murphy was very much like it.

But even as fanatical as the town I grew up in was, they would have never stood in the street, waved rebel flags and refused to cooperate with authorities if one of their own had commited the type of crimes that Rudolph did. They have those events on tape and on record. You can't deny it.

At least the small town I live in now has an evolved population. People are allowed to be who they are so long as they aren't drug dealers, murdering terrorists or law breakers in general, no matter their religious or moral codes.
Listen to you two, comparing which small town is better!

Fair enough, you've made your point, Lil Lil - you don't like Murphy and I can't see you visiting it in the near future. I don't think there's a need to make Cerek feel like a lower life form for living there. As for you Cerek, if you're proud of your hometown, then don't worry if other people have a different opinion to you of it - they're entitled to think what they like, it's your opinion that should matter to you. A lot of people hate Sydney and Australia - that's their problem! Doesn't affect me, I'm still going to enjoy living here, I don't really give a stuff what they think.

Just don't want the tone of this thread deteriorating into a he-said/she-said kindergarten spat, that's all.

[ 06-02-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 06-02-2003, 09:57 AM   #15
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Cerek, glad they found him, and I don't hold the fact that he was hiding there against your town. Tim McVeigh was from about an hour away from where I live, but not only did his actions not reflect the value of the town, they didn't even reflect the values of his family. I remember watching his father on local tv and it being so obvious that the man's heart was breaking not only over the impending loss of his son to the death penalty, but of the wound his son caused the nation.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #16
Lil Lil

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
I grew up in a small rural town surrounded by thickly wooded areas and I live in one right now so I know very well the "small town mentality" of everyone knowing who and where everyone else is as well as thier business even when they are in hiding in the woods (which from the looks of Rudoplh, he wasn't very often ).

So even if the full population wasn't "informed" as to Rudolph's whereabouts and movements, people there knew and they let him remain "in hiding" for years! That's downright shameful and as good as the capture of Rudoplh was, you shouldn't try to sell Murphy, NC as something its not.

Fanatical communities exist in the U.S., it is a fact that cannot be denied. The town I grew up in, although twice the size of Murphy was very much like it.

But even as fanatical as the town I grew up in was, they would have never stood in the street, waved rebel flags and refused to cooperate with authorities if one of their own had commited the type of crimes that Rudolph did. They have those events on tape and on record. You can't deny it.

At least the small town I live in now has an evolved population. People are allowed to be who they are so long as they aren't drug dealers, murdering terrorists or law breakers in general, no matter their religious or moral codes.
Listen to you two, comparing which small town is better!

Fair enough, you've made your point, Lil Lil - you don't like Murphy and I can't see you visiting it in the near future. I don't think there's a need to make Cerek feel like a lower life form for living there. As for you Cerek, if you're proud of your hometown, then don't worry if other people have a different opinion to you of it - they're entitled to think what they like, it's your opinion that should matter to you. A lot of people hate Sydney and Australia - that's their problem! Doesn't affect me, I'm still going to enjoy living here, I don't really give a stuff what they think.

Just don't want the tone of this thread deteriorating into a he-said/she-said kindergarten spat, that's all.
[/QUOTE]Oh please. I was not knocking Cerek personally. If you think I was trying to make Cerek "feel like a lower life form for living there" maybe you need to look at your own feelings toward Murphy, NC/your feelings toward what people think of your hometown in spite of the fact that you proclaim not to give a stuff, whichever one applies.

I said what I did and Cerek has thus far let it go at that; maybe you should have to?

Is there something wrong with any community, no matter the size, helping to hide a domestic terrorist? I think so but I never once said that it makes everyone there bad people or lower life forms.

If I made any outright "comparisons" between small towns it was the one I grew up in and the one I live in now...having never resided in Murphy, how would I honestly know how nice or not nice it would be to live there? I don't. It is just a type of community that doesn't appeal to my way of living; letting others live too. Is there something wrong with not being prejudice Memnoch?

Reprimanding people for unstated "kindergarten" mentalities is wrong. You should give the conversation a chance before you jump in with assumptions of what people mean by what they said and what they are going to say if someone wants to address it.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #17
Lil Lil

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
quote:

Maybe it's just us backward NC folks, but I'm pretty sure a "small minority of the population" in a small town is NOT pretty much everyone. "Pretty much everyone" would be a majority of the population. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Touche! [/QUOTE]You've obviously never spent years living in any small town in America.
Mr. BMan can call himself backwards in a self depreciating and humourous way in order to make his point but if he knows small towns (and small fanatical U.S. towns at that) he knows that pretty much everyone knew Rudolph was hiding out there in spite of John Walsh's defensive description of "a small minority of the population". John Walsh made that "small minority of the population" remark as a defensive statement for numerous reasons, one being as an appeal to encourage the people who wouldn't talk before (out of fear or not caring) to talk now that Rudolph is in custody. Whether it will help is yet to be seen.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:05 PM   #18
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Wrong again. Mr. Bman does live in a small town in a rural county in NC, and if my location doesn't qualify as a small town, nothing does. We even have some Bubba's who fly the rebel flag around here. They're losers and every community, large and small, has them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, all the people in that area of NC knew where Mr. Rudolph was hiding just like all the Muslims in the Middle East know exactly were Osama Bin Laden is.

Of course some of the citizenry in both cases had the information about the fugitive and have helped, but the few don't make up the majority. Unfortunately, the few do fuel stereotypes.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #19
Lil Lil

I never said all and you are blowing this out of proportion for what purpose?
I wasn't wrong the first time lol.
I've seen plenty of instances where killers, drug dealers and house bombers have held up in small towns with the help of a few. That never changed the fact that people gossip and that within weeks if not days most everyone knew that those people were there, the only difference in their cases and Rudolph's was that someone turned them in.

buh-bye Mr. Bman.

Old 06-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #20
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Of course there will always be some mean spirited and/or misguided people who do bad things intentionally, but the people withholding legitimate information and actually helping Mr. Rudolph were in the minority just as Mr. Walsh stated.

Sure everyone in Murphy may have heard that Rudolph was visiting their grocery store on a regular basis, but they probably heard it from the friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who also saw Elvis at the 7-11...lol. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Buh-Bye.... Don't forget to write.

[ 06-02-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]