Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

One of the F.B.I. Ten Most Wanted criminals has finally been captured right here in my sleepy little hometown of Murphy, NC. Eric Robert Rudolph (wanted for the bombing of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, two abortions clinics, and a gay club) was taken into custody early this morning by one of our local police officers.

He was found behind a local shopping center and captured without incident.

For more information (and to see where Cerek lives ) tune in to CNN for complete details.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

He's one of the FBI's 10 most wanted men and he was found behind a shopping mall? He must have really slipped up or something.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric

His crimes were committed 7 years ago. The last "offical" siting of him was over 5 years ago. He has been in hiding ever since. The FBI conducted a massive manhunt for 2 years for him, before finally having to reduce the size of staff they could keep here in town (we're over 100 miles from the nearest FBI Branch office).

The FBI was still following up on leads and working the case, but had couldn't afford to keep a large staff here indefinitely. They did keep a small office in the local National Guard Armory and worked closely with local police to set up a plan of capture should Rudolph ever be sited.

According to the FBI spokesperson, the siting and capture went down exactly how they expected it would, by a local officer spotting a suspicious figure. The officer didn't even realize it was Eric Rudolph until they got him to the police station.

But - yeah - he did "slip up". Then again, after being on the run for 7 years...it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, thank the Lord that they finally caught him. I wondered how long he could keep it up. And in Cerek's hometown!
Old 05-31-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Caught while dumpster diving!
Old 06-01-2003, 01:30 AM   #6
Lil Lil

He had a lot of help in a town of less than 1300 people...a largely white supremicist community where according to an informant for "America's Most Wanted" (A TV Show for those of you who are unfamiliar with it) her cocaine-dealing cousin had been harboring him...the cousin died and Rudolph ended up without a source of food or shelter...he apparently even showed up for the funeral of the cousin and no one turned him in...that's pretty sad if you ask me.

The cop that "caught" him just got a lucky break, there was no real police work involved in his capture other than the officer being in the right place at the right time and Rudolph's fingerprints being in a national database (thank godness for that!)

I am glad that they caught him but I'll skip the media shows about Murphy NC; it really doesn't soud like a place I would want to see.

Old 06-01-2003, 03:10 AM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil Lil:
He had a lot of help in a town of less than 1300 people...a largely white supremicist community where according to an informant for "America's Most Wanted" (A TV Show for those of you who are unfamiliar with it) her cocaine-dealing cousin had been harboring him...the cousin died and Rudolph ended up without a source of food or shelter...he apparently even showed up for the funeral of the cousin and no one turned him in...that's pretty sad if you ask me.

The cop that "caught" him just got a lucky break, there was no real police work involved in his capture other than the officer being in the right place at the right time and Rudolph's fingerprints being in a national database (thank godness for that!)

I am glad that they caught him but I'll skip the media shows about Murphy NC; it really doesn't soud like a place I would want to see.
Don't believe everything you hear, Moni. John Walsh was a little "over the top" in his presentation of the facts today. Yet he did make it a point to mention that those who supported Rudolph were a very small minority of the population here.

Watching John Walsh on CNN today, I discovered that he is willing to exaggerate the facts in order to produce good drama. Which is a shame, because I really like his show. Now - however - I will have to watch it with a more critical eye.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
Lil Lil

Not all the information I have on the capture of Rudolph came from John Walsh lol. I don't even watch the program if you want to know what a "fan" of Walsh I am and exxagerating facts is still stating facts. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A "small minority of the population" in a small town is pretty much everyone, even you know that.
I grew up in a small rural town surrounded by thickly wooded areas and I live in one right now so I know very well the "small town mentality" of everyone knowing who and where everyone else is as well as thier business even when they are in hiding in the woods (which from the looks of Rudoplh, he wasn't very often ).

So even if the full population wasn't "informed" as to Rudolph's whereabouts and movements, people there knew and they let him remain "in hiding" for years! That's downright shameful and as good as the capture of Rudoplh was, you shouldn't try to sell Murphy, NC as something its not.

Fanatical communities exist in the U.S., it is a fact that cannot be denied. The town I grew up in, although twice the size of Murphy was very much like it.

But even as fanatical as the town I grew up in was, they would have never stood in the street, waved rebel flags and refused to cooperate with authorities if one of their own had commited the type of crimes that Rudolph did. They have those events on tape and on record. You can't deny it.

At least the small town I live in now has an evolved population. People are allowed to be who they are so long as they aren't drug dealers, murdering terrorists or law breakers in general, no matter their religious or moral codes.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:21 AM   #9
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

and just how do you know that Eric Rudolph committed these crimes?
Does the name Richard Jewell ring a bell?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:27 AM   #10
Lil Lil

Richard Jewell was cleared by the government of any wrong-doing in the Atlanta bombing. He is now employed as a policeman.

Some documentation from the Department of Justice for you to read regarding charges being filed against Rudolph

The "Army of God" Letters

[ 06-02-2003, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Lil Lil ]