Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #41
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Zeeland is indeed a province in the Netherlands, and there is also a Zealand in Denmark. The isle Copenhagen is on I believe.

It means "Sealand".

I prefer the Moari name "Aotearoa" (Land of the long white cloud) as the name for New Zealand anyway...
lol but only 4.8% of the population actually speak Maori...dont get me started, the government is paying heaps and heaps of money for a documentary in Maori...just for the 5% of people that can understand it...ffs they should give it subtitles at least.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 04-07-2002, 03:52 AM   #42
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Zeeland is indeed a province in the Netherlands, and there is also a Zealand in Denmark. The isle Copenhagen is on I believe.

It means "Sealand".

I prefer the Moari name "Aotearoa" (Land of the long white cloud) as the name for New Zealand anyway...
lol but only 4.8% of the population actually speak Maori...dont get me started, the government is paying heaps and heaps of money for a documentary in Maori...just for the 5% of people that can understand it...ffs they should give it subtitles at least.[/QUOTE]Not just a documentary, but thier own TV channel! - That's right, the govt is spending $50,000,000nz of tax payers money so that 5% of the population have something to watch on tv in thier native language!
Old 04-07-2002, 04:03 AM   #43
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
Now that you mention it, why do they call Australia Oz?
Because depending on your accent it may be pronounced as "ORstralia" or "OZstralia" the second is harder to say (accent dependant), but more correct. I think .
Old 04-07-2002, 04:05 AM   #44
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Wanna know why the Land of the Long White Cloud was chosen as the site for filming Lord of the Rings?

Well, the producers initially wanted Australia as the filming ground, so they checked out Sydney, Melbourne, and even Brisbane, but there were too many tall, beautiful people, too tall and beautiful to become extras as Hobbits. So then they checked out the islands next door...

This is an Oz-Kiwi thing by the way...
Theyl be calling on us the next time they need extras for Elves...
Old 04-07-2002, 04:07 AM   #45
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
Not just a documentary, but thier own TV channel! - That's right, the govt is spending $50,000,000nz of tax payers money so that 5% of the population have something to watch on tv in thier native language!
Its not as if they cant speak english as well.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:08 AM   #46
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
quote:
lol i only just saw this, and rolfmao! NZ is a country of 2 large islands south east of australia. and yer, we do have some funny politicians.
But not as funny as little Johny Howard over here.... but on the bright side he shouldnt be in for much longer.... or at least he shouldnt b our PM [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I hope he follows his predecesor from Vietnam, Harrold Holt... the Afghanistan war hes sending us into is very similar... and wouldnt it be nice if to cap it all off, little Johnny went missing at sea ??

[ 04-07-2002, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 04-07-2002, 04:40 AM   #47
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
quote:
lol i only just saw this, and rolfmao! NZ is a country of 2 large islands south east of australia. and yer, we do have some funny politicians.
But not as funny as little Johny Howard over here.... but on the bright side he shouldnt be in for much longer.... or at least he shouldnt b our PM [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I hope he follows his predecesor from Vietnam, Harrold Holt... the Afghanistan war hes sending us into is very similar... and wouldnt it be nice if to cap it all off, little Johnny went missing at sea ?? [/QUOTE] Wouldnt be that great a loss now would it?? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2002, 04:41 AM   #48
Glorfindel

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
We'll roll you in the Trinations this year!
O Yeah.... we got that one in the bag
Old 04-07-2002, 04:45 AM   #49
Glorfindel

Quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
Now that you mention it, why do they call Australia Oz?
Cause me and Lennon started a fad??? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] ... Nah.... I just guess its easier than writing Aussie-Land... or Australia.... Or mayb its cause we have an Oz Lotto Draw.... or mayb its because Of the Wizard of Oz and it sort of sounds the same???

Neway the bottom line is it is easier to write than Australia [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2002, 10:50 AM   #50
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
lol but only 4.8% of the population actually speak Maori...dont get me started, the government is paying heaps and heaps of money for a documentary in Maori...just for the 5% of people that can understand it...ffs they should give it subtitles at least.
There are more Maoris in Sydney than in all Aotearoa anyway....

Hey, I noticed everyone has forgotten Stewart Island. The third, and lesser known Island.

North Is
South Is
Stewart Is

http://www.hughwilson.com